Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-25-2009, 05:58 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This is one of the many songs I liked...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2009, 06:05 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

My best friend and I learned to dance the Lindy Hop (fast fast fast) to this song in 8th grade (1972).
Old 06-25-2009, 07:01 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

This is depressing. He was only 50!! And Farrah dying on the same day. What a day, huh.

So many singers seem to die young. If you want to grow old, do NOT become a really, really popular and famous singer. Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Buddy Holly, Elvis, Michael Jackson, Karen Carpenter, John Lennon... for whatever reasons, so few of them live long enough to grow old.

Thank goodness a few have lived past 50 though. I'm thinking of James Taylor, for example, Paul McCartney, and Aretha Franklin.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:42 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Here's one I always liked. Lots of kitties and celebs:

Old 06-25-2009, 07:59 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

He was quite an entertainer until he became a walking freak show. I have to admit I was through with him when he started with the plastic surgery bit. That was just too weird for me. Micheal Jackson seemed a troubled soul so the best I can say is may he rest in peace. I was always concerned about his children and what kind of life they had with him. My thoughts are more with them tonight.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:41 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
This is depressing. He was only 50!! And Farrah dying on the same day. What a day, huh.

So many singers seem to die young. If you want to grow old, do NOT become a really, really popular and famous singer. Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Buddy Holly, Elvis, Michael Jackson, Karen Carpenter, John Lennon... for whatever reasons, so few of them live long enough to grow old.

Thank goodness a few have lived past 50 though. I'm thinking of James Taylor, for example, Paul McCartney, and Aretha Franklin.
Lots of members of the 27 club in your list.
27 Club - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Don't you think it is weird that James Taylor is the only survivor of the movie Two Lane Blacktop?

Sad to hear about Jackson. I think one of my favorites was Dirty Diana. Great sexy dance song.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:07 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Yes a freak show at the end... but like him or not, you have to admit that he was one of the best ever... not only as a singer, songwriter, but also of recognizing talent...

Like Prince, who is also very good at all of these things (who I do not like that much), I guess that his kind of genius had it's down side...

OHH, wanted to add... poor Farah... she would have gotten a lot of attention if it was not for Michael dying on the same day... now you will hear very little about her....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:14 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I have been listening between the lines, so to speak, comments about MJ's death. Evidently he had a through check up before booking the venues for his new shows and was insurable. Recently he was in a conditioning program so he could execute his dance routines. I heard concerns about the possibility that he was taking something to build muscle... steroids? That must be why the death investigation has been assigned to the LA homicide unit.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:18 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Sad news...but I bet the SC governor is jumping for joy to to be off the headlines
skyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:22 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline View Post
Sad news...but I bet the SC governor is jumping for joy to to be off the headlines
I bet your right.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:50 AM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Very talented musician, his personal problems are probably not for me to dissect. However, I do wonder what will happen to his children? Probably his death will likely mean they have some chance at somewhat of a normal life. Will be interesting to see who gets custody.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:10 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
I have been listening between the lines, so to speak, comments about MJ's death. Evidently he had a through check up before booking the venues for his new shows and was insurable. Recently he was in a conditioning program so he could execute his dance routines. I heard concerns about the possibility that he was taking something to build muscle... steroids? That must be why the death investigation has been assigned to the LA homicide unit.
I heard a rumor that he had lupus, and it seems to me that steroids are sometimes used to treat that condition. (?) Not sure, though.

I wish they would make public what his health problems really were. He seemed to have some serious medical problems, aside from his psychological issues.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:23 AM   #33
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I heard a rumor that he had lupus, and it seems to me that steroids are sometimes used to treat that condition. (?) Not sure, though.

I wish they would make public what his health problems really were. He seemed to have some serious medical problems, aside from his psychological issues.
One report I heard said he had a physical recently to ensure he could withstand the rigors of a world tour. They reported he passed with "flying colors". He was very athletic and would have to be in very good shape to do the kind of live act he was famous for. Its looking more and more like he was abusing prescription drugs. Sounds like Elvis and scores of other pop idols to me.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:31 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Very talented musician, his personal problems are probably not for me to dissect. However, I do wonder what will happen to his children? Probably his death will likely mean they have some chance at somewhat of a normal life. Will be interesting to see who gets custody.

I've also heard that he was supporting a lot of people, brothers, etc. This will keep the scandal sheets busy for decades.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 11:47 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
I bet your right.

We kinda thought he would have to put a hit out on somebody to get himself off the news. I bet he is very relieved!

As an aside, the gov lives in a house right next door the house I grew up in, on Sullivans Island. Nice place. All fancy pants now, but it was just a cool beach town when we were kids.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 02:39 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I've always considered this guy a perverted loser and I have to admit, I am stunned at all of the time that is being devoted to his (possibly) drug induced death. I'm sorry he is dead, but more sorry for his 3 kids that have led such sheltered, strange lives.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 03:22 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
I am stunned at all of the time that is being devoted to his (possibly) drug induced death.
I want to know where to sign up for daily Demerol injections. This could put a whole new spin on chronic pain management:
Painkillers cited as Jackson death examined | Entertainment | Reuters

Yet somehow Keith Richards keeps right on going...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 04:47 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
I've always considered this guy a perverted loser and I have to admit, I am stunned at all of the time that is being devoted to his (possibly) drug induced death. I'm sorry he is dead, but more sorry for his 3 kids that have led such sheltered, strange lives.
This is a bit harsh but I pretty much agree. He is a huge talent and I certainly enjoyed most of his music. However, I don't think his musical accomplishments should completely overshadow his many failings. I've heard several people say MJ was a great businessman, but yet he squandered several fortunes and end up deeply in debt. More importantly to me is best case the guy had a strange obsession with children, and the worse case he is pedophile who should be in prison.

If people want to mourn the lose of Michael Jackson's music, fine, but I don't mourn the loss of the man.

Not to mention that Farrah Fawcett was way hotter, and turned out to be a fine actress and not just another pretty face.

At the risk of moving into the political space. I think yesterday also marked the day the Iranian revolution died (for now) and the loss of scores of people fighting for democracy is the real tragedy.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 06:05 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I want to know where to sign up for daily Demerol injections. This could put a whole new spin on chronic pain management:
Painkillers cited as Jackson death examined | Entertainment | Reuters

Yet somehow Keith Richards keeps right on going...
Keith probably has demerol for breakfast...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 06:43 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

I have to admit that I laughed first about his freak shows and didn't feel anything when i heard about his death. Today I feel different after someone told me that I don't know how it is until I walk in their shoes. I now think he is genuinely talented and a good person.
steve88 is offline   Reply With Quote