Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-06-2009, 06:10 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
My grandmother, born in 1895, was pretty disgusted with Jerry Lee Lewis because his third "wife" was only 13 years old and his cousin, to boot. She considered him to be an admitted child rapist, forcing incest on her to boot (not to mention Satan in the flesh, I could go on). I was not allowed to play his music (even at home!), or to talk about him. Many times I had my ears and/or eyes covered by my relatives if there was a chance that I would even see his photo, hear his name, or (heaven forbid) hear his music. Many people felt that way back in the 1950's. But as time has passed, what we remember is his music...
I tend to take a middle ground here. On one hand, I know how the death of a celebrity (and indeed, almost everyone in their usually puny sphere of influence) tends to accentuate the positive and gloss over the seamy underbelly.

But on the other hand, even where I think *relatively* minor relative character flaws relative to their overall body of work (see Steve McNair) can be somewhat de-emphasized, Jackson's transgressions and flaws were serious enough that even death shouldn't cause their whitewashing and sugar-coating.

I tend to separate art from behavior, and to me judgment of MJ the sometimes bizarre and possible criminally sick person doesn't mean invalidation of MJ the musician and entertainer.

Having said all that, I think it's a shame that so many other big names who were probably bigger people in terms of behavior and human decency are seeing their own normally notable passings almost being a footnote. And I am tired of the borderline deification of an extremely flawed man, as if the problems were minor like a shoplifting charge when someone was 14.

One of the funny things to me about your story is that you mention your grandmother was born in 1895, and back then it wasn't that unusual (particularly in areas where farming was important) for girls to marry by age 16 or even younger. As an avid amateur genealogist I've seen it repeatedly.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2009, 06:11 PM   #82
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I don't disagree with this at all. What I do disagree with is the circus atmosphere surrounding the aftermath of his death - and the fact it has dominated the "media" for two solid weeks as if he were someone really important.

Where is that puke emoticon...
I agree that it is now way over the top. And I've been largely ignoring it except for seeing the headlines online.
My sense of all this is he was a product, not a person, and people continue to cash in on his passing. That is the saddest part of all.
I was pretty young when Elvis died, but I do remember the same type of hoopla going on. It is the nature of the business.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:15 PM   #83
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I don't disagree with this at all. What I do disagree with is the circus atmosphere surrounding the aftermath of his death - and the fact it has dominated the "media" for two solid weeks as if he were someone really important.

My question to you would be, why would you expect anything different?
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:21 PM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
Michael Jackson's concerts always were difficult to get tickets to, but that's nothing compared to the pop star's memorial service.
On eBay, bids for tickets for Tuesday's event were reaching as high as $1,000 and $3,000, though it was impossible to verify the seriousness of those bids. Others on Monday were submitting offers more in the $100-$200 range.
Buying opportunity? Selling opportunity? Ya gotta' love capitalism.

Tix to Jackson memorial being sold for thousands

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:26 PM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
One of the funny things to me about your story is that you mention your grandmother was born in 1895, and back then it wasn't that unusual (particularly in areas where farming was important) for girls to marry by age 16 or even younger.
Believe it or not, she married my grandfather and gave birth to my father when she was 14. I would point that out to her when she was so livid and furious about Jerry Lee Lewis. THAT didn't help my cause much! My parents would hush me and say that was different on a farm in the Ozarks so many years ago. My grandparents were happily married until the day my grandfather died, nearly 75 years later.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:28 PM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Well, ya got a point there....

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:09 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

We all have our own opinions about him and every other subject that can be imagined. That's what this forum is all about. I've made a comment about him once before, but I'm going to add this last comment regarding Michael Jackson.....

It hurt my heart when he died.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:20 PM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

You insensitive pig. Ask and you shall receive.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:52 PM   #89
Give me a forum ...

I was very sad to hear of MJ's death. Even so, nothing will compare to what I felt when John Lennon died. The only celebrity I ever cried for.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:53 PM   #90
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
It hurt my heart when he died.
I'm not insensitive to the sadness of his death. I'm just sick of the over-the-top treatment and media overexposure in an attempt to profit from his demise.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:49 PM   #91
Moderator Emeritus

He probably was more important than Princess Diana and look at the coverage of her death. Slow news season, lots of air time to fill, and at least he was a symbol of success to a lot of the population, coming from Gary, Indiana as he did with no connections. So I can live with tbe coverage.

(I liked Shy Di and no offense to Diana's memory but she had the accidental fortune/misfortune of marrying a crown prince and then divorcing him--her later good works re AIDS and landmines were no more newsworthy than those of thousands of others and really, would she have done any of them had she not been the trophy bride in a position to do so?)
Old 07-06-2009, 09:18 PM   #92
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'm not insensitive to the sadness of his death. I'm just sick of the over-the-top treatment and media overexposure in an attempt to profit from his demise.
Imagine the three-ring hoopla erupting if it turned out that Elvis was really dead...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:23 PM   #93

Quote:
Ignore it. It really will go away. I just flip the channel or turn the page.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:44 AM   #94
Give me a forum ...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:14 AM   #95
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com
Old 07-07-2009, 10:36 AM   #96
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Ignore it. It really will go away. I just flip the channel or turn the page.
But if you live in No. Cal. within 500 miles of Stockton! It won't go away. Back in the old days (last year) when I visited Stockton, the talk was always about the heat, how many days has it been over 100 degrees. No more but my stump will go on....?
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:45 AM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
He probably was more important than Princess Diana and look at the coverage of her death. Slow news season, lots of air time to fill, and at least he was a symbol of success to a lot of the population, coming from Gary, Indiana as he did with no connections. So I can live with tbe coverage.

(I liked Shy Di and no offense to Diana's memory but she had the accidental fortune/misfortune of marrying a crown prince and then divorcing him--her later good works re AIDS and landmines were no more newsworthy than those of thousands of others and really, would she have done any of them had she not been the trophy bride in a position to do so?)
So, he gets a total pass on the last 15 years of his life, with the child molestation charges, etc? You have a big heart!

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:47 AM   #98
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
So, he gets a total pass on the last 15 years of his life, with the child molestation charges, etc? You have a big heart!
I said I can live with the coverage--I missed where I said the above, FD.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:50 AM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I said I can live with the coverage--I missed where I said the above, FD.
I guess I misunderstood, soory.........

I don't understand why he's more or less important than Princess Di. They both were celebrities.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:05 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I don't understand why he's more or less important than Princess Di. They both were celebrities.........
How many Princess Di fans bought $7 billion dollars worth of anything she was selling?
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote