Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Goodbye, Sophie
Old 01-05-2007, 11:13 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Remember, all dogs go to heaven:

http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm

“If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” ~ Will Rodgers

“My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dog already things I am.” ~ Anonymous

“It was the first time I remember being truly happy. It’s selfish, really, but if I can make them feel safe for just one day, then it makes me feel good, you know, happy, in my heart and it’s only in the company of animals that I feel that way.” ~ Randy Grim

To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring – it was peace.” ~ Milan Kundera

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.” ~ Roger Caras

“My dog is worried about the economy because Alpo is up to $3.00 a can…that’s almost $21.00 in dog money!” ~ Joe Weinstein

“The average dog is nicer than the average person.” ~ Andy Rooney

“The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.” ~ Unknown (a sign on my office wall...)

Take care...

- Ron

rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2007, 01:01 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Rich: Very sorry to hear about your Sophie. All animal lovers can sympathize. Every so often, I will walk the neighbor's dog, "Charlie", a very beautiful dog. (German Shorthaired Pointer). He's not mine, but I know I will feel very sad when he goes. Although he is very trim and seems in excellent shape, he's 11 years old.

I had 2 cats over a period of 20 years. One I had to put down, and the other went out one night and never came back. I called all the animal shelters in the local area, and someone said that my cat most likely got killed by a coyote or other animal. I cried like a baby when I lost both. My condolences to you. I hope good memories of Sophie will bring you some comfort. Take care.
Toejam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 05:20 AM   #23

I'm so very sorry for your loss. She was beautiful looking in the photo.

I loved the quotes, especially the Will Rogers one.

As to "“The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.” ~ Unknown (a sign on my office wall...)"

I put this on the wall in the spare bedroom of my house when I moved in long ago:

DRiP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 05:36 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sorry Rich. I have three Goldens keeping me company and one is getting pretty old so I am once again approaching that painful experience. Been through it three times but it is still worth it to have a dog with you.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:40 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm so sorry Rich, they bring such joy to our lives and such saddness when they leave but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Carolyn

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 05:58 AM   #26

Sorry Rich. Sophie was a fine looking dog.

Bruce
Old 01-06-2007, 06:42 AM   #27

Sorry to hear this and know how you feel. It's losing a family member, IMHO.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 07:32 AM   #28

I'm so sorry Rich.

We can surely empathize. Just had to help our kitty Travis cross over yesterday. Cause of death also liver disease, of unknown origin. I had him since he was a kitten - born in 1991 - nearly 16 years. Lots of memories.

It was one of the worst things we have ever been through. If you are like us, you are probably still in sort of a shockey state.

Despite all the pain of losing a good animal friend, it was worth it all. Just holding onto that helps. Sophie knows you loved her and did all you could for her.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 09:30 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

I am so sorry.

I am so lucky to be on the couch with two dogs warming my legs and the computer on my lap. Every once in a while, I say "give me a kiss" and the male wakes up, pulls himself over to my face and gives be a big sloppy one.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 09:41 AM   #30
Confused about dryer sheets

Rich,

Deepest sympathy goes out to you from myself and Capt. Curmudgeon. Had the same experience three years ago with our 16 year old Golden. It is a very difficult time. The Rainbow Bridge has been crossed by many loved pets.
bookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 10:06 AM   #31

Maddy will get a biscuit in Sophie's memory...
Old 01-06-2007, 10:36 AM   #32

RIch,

I'm so sorry for your loss. I have lost too many pets over the years and it is really painful. We lost our 2.5 year old Great Dane last year. I know the pain of which you speak. Console yourself with the fact that you gave Sophie a good life.

Warm regards,

-helen
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 10:45 AM   #33

Rich:

Just want to add our condolences and we know you will miss her for a very long time.

We lost our last pet, George, twenty years ago this past summer. Thinking about him can still bring tears. He was with us alive for 16 years and will forever more be in our hearts.

Just take joy that she was happy with you for as long as she could be and that she will forever be missed.

OAG
Old 01-06-2007, 11:40 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Rich,

I'm very sorry for your loss. Dogs give us their unconditional love and remain in our hearts forever. Thinking about our Oreo our parti colored cocker spaniel that we had to put down 14 years ago still brings tears and sadness.

I wish you comfort and peace during this trying time.

2soon
2soon2tell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 02:27 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Awww, I'm so very sorry too. Sophie looks like such a sweet, happy dog. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:29 PM   #36

I'm very sorry for your loss. I hope you cherish your memories of her and remember that she loved you as much as you loved her!

THE RAINBOW BRIDGE:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Old 01-06-2007, 04:39 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Very Sorry for your loss Rich.
CRABBY JERRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 06:12 PM   #38

Rich:

My condolences to you and your family. I know you will miss her dearly.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 07:09 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm so sorry to hear this, Rich. We live next to a park and my favorite thing to do is watch the dogs play there. They are always so happy. I am giving my cat an extra hug in honor of Sophie.
AlmostDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 07:19 PM   #40
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Condolences also

Goodbye Sophie.

Peter, Becky, Prancer, and Critter - I still remember the dogs we lost over the years.

heh heh heh - like family
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote