Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-24-2015, 04:39 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post
I fail to see any problem here. You have enough to bridge to whatever point you decide take SS. Don't let the gloom and doom people sway you. There will always be potential risks involved.
Now all I need to do is to take the plunge myself.

I see a problem, as it's unclear how he is going to afford the 85k budget without substantially dipping into his non-retirement assets and/or relocating.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2015, 07:53 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The $85K budget means 4.5% WR on investable assets. This appears high, but if the OP still has a mortgage we do not know when it will drop off. And then, there's SS coming on later too. We do not know the other variables in his financial spreadsheet.

Old 12-24-2015, 09:49 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8tr View Post
I see a problem, as it's unclear how he is going to afford the 85k budget without substantially dipping into his non-retirement assets and/or relocating.

Thanks for your concern. But I have number of back up plans in my pocket. For personal reasons, my budget will drop going forward. I also have a large "misc" budget that can be cut down, or may not end up using much of it. I also experimented in short term trading for the last 12 months and came up with a strategy that can add to my income. In a flat market (2015/YTD), my short term trades yielded 16% return. And if these are not enough, I can always downsize and move out of Bay Area, CA. Also, I will be turning 54 in a few days and plan to withdrew SS at 63. That's only 9 years before I have a good size income to add. Anyway I see it, only a 1929 like great depression can kill my plan. If that happens, so be it.

PS - I am not afraid to dig into my asset as I go deeper into retirement. Most folks want to keep their principal and so would I. But that's not us. If our retirement fund goes down as we age, so be it. I am confident that the $2.5M will go a long way for a couple at our age, especially, if most of it is invested in diversified portfolio.
Old 12-25-2015, 06:42 AM   #44

What a nice Christmas present, congrats!
Old 12-25-2015, 06:58 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats. The plan seems very reasonable to me. Have a great retirement!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-31-2015, 08:34 PM   #46

Week 1 of my retirement is in the book. I was afraid that my weekdays could be boring. That was a needless worry. I have replaced megacorp daily routine with another weekday routine (day trading, web surfing, & exercise until 1:00 pm, golf practice/round until 6:00 pm). The week day night and weekend routine are same as before the retirement. The challenge is to figure out when to find time to do all the things I plan to do in retirement.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:17 AM   #47
Dryer sheet aficionado

Congrats on your successful transition thus far. I hope to be a few years behind you - we are roughly similar in age (for FIRE), financial numbers, and industry. I'm not a day trader, however! Please keep us posted on your progress.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:09 AM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
I also experimented in short term trading for the last 12 months and came up with a strategy that can add to my income. In a flat market (2015/YTD), my short term trades yielded 16% return.

Please Pardon a very nervous old man? Do you completely understand the downside of this strategy? If you have the slightest doubt 1) downsize the house 2) get a part time gig

Retired people invest, traders trade - when the first becomes the second bad things can and often do happen.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.
Old 01-31-2016, 03:13 PM   #49

Over budgeted, under spending so far; not enough time

5 weeks into my retirement, here's what I found so far.

• I over budgeted my monthly spending, or am under spending.
  • Was anxious for the 1st 2 weeks, especially, with the current market downturn. The feeling subsided since then.
  • My short-term trading strategy continues to work (beating the market) and may be good enough to fund much of my retirement by itself.
  • I am learning French, restarted learning to play piano, reading books, planted vegetable seeds, reducing stuff around the house, doubled down on golf practice,... and found that I don't have enough time!
Life is good.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:20 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
5 weeks into my retirement, here's what I found so far.

• I over budgeted my monthly spending, or am under spending.
  • Was anxious for the 1st 2 weeks, especially, with the current market downturn. The feeling subsided since then.
  • My short-term trading strategy continues to work (beating the market) and may be good enough to fund much of my retirement by itself.
  • I am learning French, restarted learning to play piano, reading books, planted vegetable seeds, reducing stuff around the house, doubled down on golf practice,... and found that I don't have enough time!
Life is good.
Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear the finances are working out and you are enjoying yourself.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 02:38 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Glad to hear you are having fun. Ignore the negative folks as mentioned.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:18 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
Please Pardon a very nervous old man? Do you completely understand the downside of this strategy? If you have the slightest doubt 1) downsize the house 2) get a part time gig

Retired people invest, traders trade - when the first becomes the second bad things can and often do happen.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.
Thanks for your concern. My trading strategy was experimented for 12 months prior to my retirement. In that period, my trading accounts returned +15% vs S&P 500's -1%. This year, my trading accounts are returning 5% by 4/12/16 vs S&P 500's 1%. By the end of the year, I expect 12 - 15% return. At that rate, it will finance about 70 - 80% of my retirement.

Other updates:

- My golf handicap index is the best ever. My game has improved significantly.
- I became very laid back & relaxed. My wife is very happy about the metamorphosis.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:49 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

OP...how old are you?

edit: nevermind...saw you posted that you were 53.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:38 AM   #54

Quote:
Thanks for your concern. My trading strategy was experimented for 12 months prior to my retirement. In that period, my trading accounts returned +15% vs S&P 500's -1%. This year, my trading accounts are returning 5% by 4/12/16 vs S&P 500's 1%. By the end of the year, I expect 12 - 15% return. At that rate, it will finance about 70 - 80% of my retirement.

9 months into ER, my total asset has increased by $100k+ thanks to the market performance (up 8% so far), & my short-term trades (realized 10% gain). So far so good. The real test will be when a prolonged bear market comes.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:14 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
9 months into ER, my total asset has increased by $100k+ thanks to the market performance (up 8% so far), & my short-term trades (realized 10% gain). So far so good. The real test will be when a prolonged bear market comes.
Congrats. Off to a good start. Yes, the real test is when a crash or prolonged bear comes along. I retired in April of 2007 and we all know what happened just a few months later. But got through it and 9 years into retirement I'm satisfied with my portfolio. It could always be better though......