Goodbye work, hello new life.

robnplunder

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
In the last 12 months, I posted the below thread and a similar one to solicit input - http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f26/2nd-check-with-the-fine-folks-here-77520.html. It helped me to do OMY to build up more asset, and cut my yearly ER budget down. It gave me confidence to retire at the end of this year. I've communicated my end date to my boss today. Idios, work. Hello, new retirement world.

Here are my final numbers that pushed me over to ER.

• $1.9 in investible asset - mutual funds, 401ks, Company deferred pay account.
  • $600k in house equity. Can downsize and move to another part of CA or Nevada.
  • $85k in yearly ER budget. Can drop to $75k if needed.

Lastly, thank you for all of you who helped me get to this point.

Life is good. :)

Those pretty much mirror our final numbers. Now we just have to get there...:LOL:

Still working on paying down the mortgage and accumulation of the $1.9 :(

Congrats on hitting your goals :dance:

Congratulations. It is wonderful when the plan comes together! Enjoy!

Congratulations, Robnplunder!!! I'll admit - I had you pegged for a few more OMYs. It's good that I was wrong.

Woo Hoo!!!

Way to go. How did your conversation with boss go? Were you very nervous or just relieved?

Welcome to a new phase of life. Hope to join you very soon assuming I have the guts to pull the trigger like you just did.

Muir

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Congratulations on avoiding OMY this year! Enjoy the countdown!

In the last 12 months, I posted the below thread and a similar one to solicit input - http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f26/2nd-check-with-the-fine-folks-here-77520.html. It helped me to do OMY to build up more asset, and cut my yearly ER budget down. It gave me confidence to retire at the end of this year. I've communicated my end date to my boss today. Idios, work. Hello, new retirement world.

Lastly, thank you for all of you who helped me get to this point.

Life is good. :)

Congratulations! BTW, my own experience has been that retirement gets better and better the longer I am retired. :D

So, whatcha gonna do in retirement? :LOL: When I retired, I had no idea and I still don't but I'm having a ball finding out as I enjoy each day thoroughly. Finally I feel like all that work and delayed gratification during the accumulation years has paid off.

A superficial/rough look at your finances gives me the idea that you will be fine in that respect, and if FIRECalc agrees then it looks to me like you're set.

I'll add my voice to the congrats. Since I'm in a similar situation financially the OP's decision helps quell those "WTF am I doing?" thoughts that still seem to creep up in my last month of work.

Hey congrats Robnplunder! Now on to the good life! :greetings10:

Congratulations!

Congratulations! BTW, my own experience has been that retirement gets better and better the longer I am retired. :D

So, whatcha gonna do in retirement? :LOL: When I retired, I had no idea and I still don't but I'm having a ball finding out as I enjoy each day thoroughly. Finally I feel like all that work and delayed gratification during the accumulation years has paid off.

A superficial/rough look at your finances gives me the idea that you will be fine in that respect, and if FIRECalc agrees then it looks to me like you're set.

Retirement is learning to appreciate the simple enjoyable things in life...Like me this morning...I woke up this morning refreshed and the bedroom tv was on all night and I didnt wake up or even have to get up once to use the restroom. My day was already a great one before it even started! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Let me guess. Your hearing aids fell off? :confused:

I sure hope not. Im only 51. But my neighbor who is 86 has them. They give him fits. I don't want any part of them. If I cant see anything its my problem, but if I cant hear anything its your problem. :)

Speaking of people whose hearing along with other senses declines with age, I recall a story that I have told before here.

I sure hope not. Im only 51. But my neighbor who is 86 has them. They give him fits. I don't want any part of them. If I cant see anything its my problem, but if I cant hear anything its your problem. :)

Sometimes not hearing is a blessing... ;-)

Way to go. How did your conversation with boss go? Were you very nervous or just relieved?

Welcome to a new phase of life. Hope to join you very soon assuming I have the guts to pull the trigger like you just did.

Muir

I was not nervous at all b/c I was fully convinced I was right to retire.

The boss wanted me to stay until the current project is done sometime mid next year. I said, no thanks.

Thanks.

What will I be donig?

• sleep in as late as I can, do short term trading until 1:00 pm PST, go practice/play golf, house work, gardening, read books, listen to music
  • travel - hike, camping, fishing, general outdoor'ng :)
I don't think I will be bored.

Congratulations, Robnplunder!!! I'll admit - I had you pegged for a few more OMYs. It's good that I was wrong.

Woo Hoo!!!

Thanks! I thought I was going to do OMY but I came to my senses at the end. :blush:

Back
Top Bottom