Google Chrome to disable adblockers

Would be just another reason for me to accelerate moving to Firefox or Opera as my fulltime browser.

Googles "do no evil" mantra is long dead.

I usually have 1) Firefox, 2) Chrome, and 3) Opera up. I have dedicated tasks in each.

I read about the upcoming Chrome problem with ads, but it will have little effect, since I'll just move task(s) to other 2 browsers. May even look into another browser, and delete chrome.

I use Google maps for the street view feature. Otherwise, I try to shy away from Google stuff like Chrome and even gmail.

Firefox isn't perfect, but I like the open source approach.

On my desktop, I have Firefox as the default browser and DuckDuckGo as the default search engine.

Chrome is my go-to... but if they don't allow ad blockers I'll probably change to Firefox.

I have Firefox and Chrome on my desktop with ad blockers on both. But I mainly use Chrome, so if this actually happens, I will definitely transition to Firefox as our main browser.

I used Firefox back in the early 2000s when most everyone was still using IE. But it eventually got slow and bloated and I transitioned to Chrome, which was brand new and very fast. It's now my impression that Chrome is a resource-hog and Firefox is more nimble, but I have no actual data to support that.

Safari then Firefox.

Chrome was so bloated & slow when I tried it I promptly deleted it.

I use IE on my main computer but I have Chrome set up in incognito mode to get my email. I hated it when they changed Chrome to not log you out of your email went you close it. I also didn’t like that even if you log out, it still leaves your email address up on the screen when you go into gmail (before you log in, it shows the accounts). I don’t even bother with an ad blocker because it’s just my email browser. IE has an ad blocker and seems to work pretty good. My main surfing is on my iPad, so that’s Safari. It too allows an ad blocker and seems to work fine.

I went to Firefox Quantum from Chrome after they stopped using addons and went to extensions. Some of my fav addons no longer worked (roomy bookmarks). You can do a lot of cool things in Firefox by creating a "userchrome.css" file and simple markup language.

I wonder if Chromium (the open source version of Chrome) will have the same deprecation?

I wonder if Chromium (the open source version of Chrome) will have the same deprecation?

I sure would not think so, I can't imagine the open source version blocking ad blockers. And theoretically, since Google controls the OS, they could block other web browsers as well.

I'm generally OK with ads, it the cost of 'free'. But I run an ad blocker, because so many sites are obnoxious with their ads. If they ask me to whitelist them, I usually do - until they get obnoxious, then they are blocked.

I'm pretty sure I can convert mine to a Linux distro.

I've been meaning to buy a Chromebook just to try it out, and I'll definitely be looking into whether it is a good target for Linux, just in case. Some hardware is better supported than others.

-ERD50

I dunno... Chromebooks will become worthless and go the way of the dinosaur.

I don't think it will be that final. My Toshiba CB (and others out there) can be converted to run a Linux distro. Once I do that, Firefox or another browser will be compatible. The only thing I use the CB for is internet access and it's been a great tool for the last three years.

Or if people don't care about seeing ads, then the CB's can be used as configured.

I agree... I was tugging The Cosmic Avenger's chain since he was so concerned about his GOOGL stock.

Can you just not upgrade? I bet they'll reverse this decision when they get blowback.

already prefer Opera , my second choice is Vivaldi with Firefox or Micro$oft Edge , 'if i really have to ' ... ( this is on Windows 10 , of course ) Linux will have to wait until i get 'home ' and set up a real computer , whenever that is .

just not a Google fan

Microsoft has been on my do not use list for years and it appears that Google my soon be there also.

Windows is in the current laptops , but can't experiment enough with Linux ( and Unix ) enough to pick suitable substitutes ( that are up to date .... USB sticks can only last so load under heavy use )

i have some older Linux versions as emergency back-ups .( on USB sticks )

Getting tired of Google and this will probably end Chrome usage for me. While researching, I came across the newer Brave browser that looks promising, https://brave.com/, it has built in ad blocking.

Microsoft has been on my do not use list for years and it appears that Google my soon be there also.

Of course, now I have to post this:

Attachments

• browser speed meme.jpg
    browser speed meme.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 19
Back
Top Bottom