Join Early Retirement Today

Google Fiber
Old 09-10-2015, 05:59 PM   #1

Google Fiber

Just got notification that San Diego is on a list of cities they're considering doing Google Fiber at.

On one hand I'm excited - super-duper-mega-bandwidth!!! Woot Woot!!!

On the other hand- a bigger bill than my beaten down to bare bones internet cable/solution.

I currently have "start tv" (very basic cable - all in standard def). I also have "standard internet" - 5 meg down, 1 meg up (on average.... but not that good during the early evening.)

I pay $45 for this. In January they are encrypting everything so I'll have to pay $2.50 more for a cable card for my tivo (and will only have OTA on the other tv's.)

Fortunately, we've got direct line of site to the tv antennas so OTA is good for network channels.

Google Fiber will be $130 for the 1Gig + tv.
If I just get internet it's $70/month.

The plus is that my kids would stop telling me I need to upgrade the internet. (To which I reply - get a job and move out if you want to pay the bills. LOL.)

Anyone here have google fiber?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2015, 06:44 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I pay $55 for 30/5 internet, and it meets all my needs nicely.

Would that very high speed be really meaningful to you?

Old 09-10-2015, 07:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I pay $55 for 30/5 internet, and it meets all my needs nicely.

Would that very high speed be really meaningful to you?
Probably not enough to justify the price.

Once fiber arrives in the area (if it does) they also have a "free" mode - you buy their network connector/router - and get free internet at 5/1 forever. That's a better price point.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:17 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I thought you were talking about a new breakfast cereal...
Old 09-10-2015, 08:10 PM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I currently have "start tv" (very basic cable - all in standard def). I also have "standard internet" - 5 meg down, 1 meg up (on average.... but not that good during the early evening.)

I pay $45 for this.
Rodi, I'm paying $67 for mid-level internet only. I think the deal that you presently have with basic cable TV and internet for $45 is just mind-bogglingly good.

I don't think we have Google fiber here but I would sure welcome some competition. Maybe a price war? Ah, what a great fantasy.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:54 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

We're getting it pretty soon here in Raleigh. I think there is a free Google Fiber plan that includes 5mb down and 1 mb up or something like that. Only catch is that you have to pay $300 up front to have them lay fiber in your yard and presumably the fiber modem for your house. They promise free service for a period (7 years I think?).

So maybe you'll be fine with the free service, though I don't think it's quite enough to run HD netflix and other streaming stuff that people tend to do these days. IIRC netflix in HD needs 5mb bandwidth on its own (though I'd love to hear others experiences since I'm considering dropping down to 5 mb service for free).
Old 09-10-2015, 11:43 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
So maybe you'll be fine with the free service, though I don't think it's quite enough to run HD netflix and other streaming stuff that people tend to do these days. IIRC netflix in HD needs 5mb bandwidth on its own (though I'd love to hear others experiences since I'm considering dropping down to 5 mb service for free).
Depends on your definition of HD. You can get 720p for 1.5-3Mbps. Full HD 1080p is around 5+Mbps, iirc. If you have other people in the house streaming video at the same time, though (e.g. on mobile devices or computers), 5Mbps is going to feel very limited indeed.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:53 AM   #8

We have 5mbit down now. Netflix and Amazon streaming sometimes buffer - but I get it in HD. We don't have any issues if the kids are doing online stuff like minecraft - but older son is obsessed with youtube videos - and we have to kick him off if we get too much buffering.

W2R - you can see whether they are considering your area (and express interest in it) here:
https://fiber.google.com/newcities/

I signed up (expressed interest) when it first rolled out in Kansas City. That was when I was still paying almost as much for crappy internet and tv. Signing up resulted in yesterday's email.

They seem to be targeting tech centers. Irvine (broadcom) and San Diego (Qualcomm) were announced yesterday.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Rodi, I'm paying $67 for mid-level internet only. I think the deal that you presently have with basic cable TV and internet for $45 is just mind-bogglingly good.
Mid-level internet here (San Diego Time Warner) is $55/month plus all the fees/taxes... so about the same. I'm on the lowest internet. With the lowest internet and what I had thought was the lowest tv (advanced basic) I was paying $120/month. That's when I tried to cancel and found out about the unadvertised (at the time) "starter tv" level. I agree - $45/month - inclusive of all the taxes/fees - for tv and cable is a screaming deal.

I'm thinking more and more about the $300 1-time investment for 7 years of "free" internet at the same speed I currently have. I could always upgrade to the 1 gig later if it's inadequate. Of course it will be years before it's actually here in San Diego.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:04 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
We have 5mbit down now. Netflix and Amazon streaming sometimes buffer - but I get it in HD. We don't have any issues if the kids are doing online stuff like minecraft - but older son is obsessed with youtube videos - and we have to kick him off if we get too much buffering.
That's what I'm afraid of. We have 3 kids and they are into online videos (youtube/netflix, etc) too. With tons of electronic devices floating around our house (tablets, phones, laptops, desktops, HD TVs, etc), it's pretty easy for 3-4 streams to be going at once. I even caught one kid watching two youtube videos simultaneously (in HD; and WTF, by the way).

We're fortunate to pay $30-35/month for Time Warner internet (over cable) at 15-20 mb down and 1 mb up, so it works fine for us now. I'm not sure it's worth it to downgrade to the free google fiber plan just to save $400/yr if it means fighting over bandwidth (or me secretly implementing QoS on the router to prioritize my own devices' MAC addresses over those of my wife and children - "No, mine's not buffering... IDK what's wrong!" Bwahahahaha)
Old 09-11-2015, 08:06 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnzw_rui View Post
Depends on your definition of HD. You can get 720p for 1.5-3Mbps. Full HD 1080p is around 5+Mbps, iirc. If you have other people in the house streaming video at the same time, though (e.g. on mobile devices or computers), 5Mbps is going to feel very limited indeed.
We're usually watching in 1080p so ideally 5 mb is what we need. Thinking ahead, I wonder if 4k tv will need 20 mpbs bandwidth? That 1 gb google fiber connection at $70/month might start looking pretty tasty when I get a 4k tv in 5-10 years.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:07 AM   #12

Serious envy, Rodi. I'd pay the $130 just for the pleasure of calling my current provider and telling them to ... well, you know what I mean. It'll probably be addicting, though. Once you taste gigabit, megabit may never again be an option.

One thing that's bound to disappoint - this will not stop your kids from nagging you. They'll just change the target.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:23 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
One thing that's bound to disappoint - this will not stop your kids from nagging you. They'll just change the target.
With gigabit, they can then post 4k videos to facetwittergramtube complaining about how much their parents suck for not getting them something else super duper awesome.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:31 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

I also got the "fiber is coming to San Diego" email yesterday. I definitely signed up with my home ZIP code, which is in Coronado, not the city of San Diego, so I was surprised. I am hoping they either mean San Diego County, or they're including Coronado anyway. I'd love to ditch TWC for Internet, but I want to know a lot more about Google TV before I get rid of my TiVos.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
I'd love to ditch TWC for Internet, but I want to know a lot more about Google TV before I get rid of my TiVos.
I hear you on the Tivo issue. Longtime tivo user here and LOVE the interface. It's the only thing keeping me from bouncing back and forth between TWC and Uverse every year to constantly get "introductory prices"... Uverse isn't cablecard compatible and requires their settop. Too bad the FCC cablecard requirements don't apply to "telcos"... so uverse (att) and fios (verizon) don't have to comply.
Old 09-11-2015, 03:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
I also got the "fiber is coming to San Diego" email yesterday. I definitely signed up with my home ZIP code, which is in Coronado, not the city of San Diego, so I was surprised. I am hoping they either mean San Diego County, or they're including Coronado anyway. I'd love to ditch TWC for Internet, but I want to know a lot more about Google TV before I get rid of my TiVos.
You'll likely have plenty of time. Google announced in Raleigh last spring and only now are you seeing a few Ditch Witches out by one of their proposed huts, with no hut construction in sight. This is miles from my house. I'd be surprised to see it in the next 3 years.
Old 09-11-2015, 03:48 PM   #17

Don't get too excited. It was announced in Austin nearly 2 years ago and is still only available for signups in a relatively small area south of downtown. It is a VERY long build-out process.
MBAustin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:09 PM   #18

Finally made it to Austin. Coincidentally the apartment we're in had Google fiber installed very recently. We're on South 5th Street.
Old 09-19-2015, 09:23 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I have the free version of Google Fiber in Kansas City. I had to pay $300 to get connected, but that included the modem. It is 5/1 down/up like the others say, though I have had a little bit better service than that when I did some speed tests. It is supposed to be free for 7 years. We almost never stream movies or TV, just You Tube videos, it seems to work good. There are only two of us, and we are not addicted to TV, movies, video games, or online videos, so we might not be the best metric. But Google has been good to work with.

Sent from my EVO using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 09-20-2015, 09:30 AM   #20

Like Raleigh, it was announced in January for Nashville. Slowly progressing; don't know if anyone actually has it operating yet.

At the indeterminate time that we sell our house/land just outside of the City, our move to the urban core will definitely include a very high speed connection as a location criterion. Google would likely be our preference, but (unsurprisingly) ATT and Comcast are both joining the gigabit connection fray here.