Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Total coincidence... after a "cute" comment on the Higgs Boson, today, announcement that indeed the Higgs Boson was confirmed.
Particle confirmed as Higgs boson - Science

What was Tomorrow, is now Yesterday.
Amazing, scientist want to one up the Pope. Simultaneously with naming of the new Pope, they are "pretty confident" that they found the god particle.

When they capitalize the god particle, we can be sure that they found THE god particle.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2013, 08:29 PM   #42

Google Glass: The opposition grows | Internet & Media - CNET News

Some people don't think this is a good thing.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:28 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Some people don't think this is a good thing.
Really

Nobody here, I assume....

Tyro
Old 03-19-2013, 01:41 PM   #44

Re: health aspects of Glass.

Google Glass could have strong potential for healthcare use - FierceMobileHealthcare
This article just begins to touch on the possibilities.

While not directly related, much of this is already covered by phone apps. A friend who is on a diet currently uses a calorie app as well as a GPS measurement of the distance covered in his walking regimen.

Not a major leap to use Glass to pick up UPC coded foods in the market, to convert each item to portion/calorie ratings.

Visual diagnosis of physical anomalies, rashes, skin disorders, etc, using Google Image. Hospital emergency room/ambulance, 911 accident visuals etc.

It appears to me that Google Glass, is leapfrogging some of the new items planned by apple, such as Google Watch.

Consider what Glass will do to social networking... Texting, Twitter etc.

We're still on the outside , looking in on technological revolution in the making, and accelerating in quantum leaps.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:16 PM   #45

Does the wearer of google glass become a glasshole?
Old 03-20-2013, 01:14 PM   #46

Quote:
Visual diagnosis of physical anomalies, rashes, skin disorders, etc, using Google Image. Hospital emergency room/ambulance, 911 accident visuals etc.
Some of the kind of stuff I was envisioning in my previous posts.

Tyro
Old 03-22-2013, 06:37 AM   #47

I would be ok with giving these glasses a try in this context as a provider.

As a patient, I would not mind if my provider uses such glasses - as all I need from her (yes, it is a 'she') is accurate diagnosis and appropriate treatment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyro View Post

(,,) assisting in surgery or other procedures, medical records, imaging, PDR, etc.

Tyro
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:20 AM   #48

There are already bars banning them in Seattle... but probably more as a marketting ploy. Seattle Bar Bans Google Glasses; Nerds Flip Out - Stunts - Eater National
Old 04-24-2013, 08:16 PM   #49

Update on legal/etiquette issues:
Google Glass: we'll all need etiquette lessons - Telegraph

excerpt:
Quote:
That vision of constant surveillance is the one raised by Google Glass, nonetheless. The wearable computer that Google hopes we will all be wearing like glasses comprises a tiny camera, a microphone and a screen. Our every sight will be augmented with extra information, and everything recorded.
It’s likely, of course, that regulators will want a word with Google before this device goes on general sale, and it’s unlikely that Google would try to justify recording everything itself. But some fearful bars have already banned customers from wearing Glass, before they’re even out. As Google’s Eric Schmidt put it, “We'll have to develop some new social etiquette. It's obviously not appropriate to wear these glasses in situations where recording is not correct.” And indeed you have this problem already with phones. Companies like Google have a very important responsibility to keep your information safe but you have a responsibility as well which is to understand what you're doing, how you're doing it, and behave appropriately and also keep everything up to date.”
Old 04-24-2013, 08:46 PM   #50

If you buy these Google tries to keep control of them. Personally I want nothing to do with them.
Google forbids users from reselling, loaning Glass eyewear - CNN.com
Old 04-25-2013, 07:54 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

It could be because I come from a generation where glasses are cool, not something we freak out and punch each other over, it could be because I and a lot of my peers are involved in tech start ups, or it could be because I can't remember a world before the internet, but Google Glass and other augmented reality devices are things I am incredibly excited about.

Having seen a pair up close, they are no thicker than ordinary glasses. I am curious how they will implement the prescription models that they're hoping to come out with in the first gen to go over our existing glasses.

But it's a technology I'd very much want to use, especially when they start implementing GPS overlays like highlighted paths, or maybe an app where you can see the health rating of a food place before you walk in. It would also be nice to scan a barcode with the glass, like we do with phones, to compare prices of something in person to online. Just the things I already do, a bit more quickly. Every second saved is one more I spend doing something I enjoy
Old 04-25-2013, 10:13 AM   #52

Wonder if Beyonce will approve of GLASS? Beyonce's backlash after Buzzfeed's unflattering photo feed | Perth Now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 061158-beyonce-super-bowl.jpg (61.1 KB, 2 views)
Old 04-25-2013, 12:05 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arifriekinel View Post
or it could be because I can't remember a world before the internet,
You mean the internet as in the one we all use now, as opposed to that thing that was around before we started endearingly calling it the worldwide web at some point in the 1990's?

Wow - I'm only 49 and I have many, many memories before the internet. You must be a mere babe. That's a good thing though
Old 04-26-2013, 04:00 AM   #54

When they can get all the tech into something that looks like normal eyeglasses or sunglasses, then get back to me.

Otherwise, they look as ridiculous as those bluetooth headsets.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:02 AM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Now hip critters can be making eye contact with random objects to activate their glasses for data while they are loudly jabbering into their phones to people they aren't with. It's going to be even more fun dodging urban pedestrians, and worse, some of the urban bikers here in Chicago. I wonder if we can "googlebomb" the glasses wearers like people do photobombing.

But in all seriousness I bow to Google for its research efforts and developing technology.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:20 AM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
You mean the internet as in the one we all use now, as opposed to that thing that was around before we started endearingly calling it the worldwide web at some point in the 1990's?

Wow - I'm only 49 and I have many, many memories before the internet. You must be a mere babe. That's a good thing though
Haha, yep! I was born in '93, my earliest memories involve AOL's dial up, so that's the 'good old days' for me.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:28 AM   #57

GGG=Google Glass Gone

It looks as if Google Glass has flamed out.
The current New York Times article "Why Google Glass Broke" traces the rise and fall of the "invention of the year".

Can't link the article here, (paywall), but Googling the article title should get you there.

If you were one of the "Google Explorers" @ $1500, perhaps you could check in here with your experience.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:44 AM   #58
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I never understood Google Glass for two reasons:

1. It would make people around you in social situtations very uncomfortable. I can see a GG wearer not getting invited to parties and other activities.

2. People have spent thousands of dollars getting their eyes lasered so they don't need glasses. Now they are going to spend big money to buy these special glasses. I don't see it. (pun intended)
Old 02-09-2015, 09:13 AM   #59

My only experience with a "glass-jerk" was uncomfortable. (The more common expression uses a word that rhymes with "stole" instead of "jerk.")

We were on a hiking trip and made it to the top, where there is a small lodge. You meet up with strangers and share a meal. It is a unique experience, that is very "organic." Using your own feet, and own determination, you go to a place that is unusual, and something mankind has been doing since the dawn of man.

You share some coffee, maybe a smuggled in flask and lots of conversation as it gets dark. It is one of those LBYM experiences that you remember forever. It is an "experience" and not a "thing."

But then Mr. Glass comes along and wants to record everything with his "thing." What a pain in the butt. Talk about a mood breaker.

I'm not surprised it failed.

The problem is that the concept will get better and you won't know someone is wearing one. Frankly, right now the thing stuck out like a sore thumb. The next generation is likely to be more stealth.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:49 AM   #60

I'm not sorry or surprised by the shut down of the public version of Google glass but I think it would have been an interesting tool in my workplace. As an automation engineer on a production line it is something I could have put it to good use.