Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-12-2013, 05:39 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I spent a small fortune a few years ago to have my eyes treated with a laser beam so I did not have to wear glasses all the time. Now Google thinks I am going to wear their hi-tech glasses, and go through all the hassles I have nearly forgotten?? What have these boys and girls been smoking?
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2013, 05:46 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sorry but I fail to see the advantage of using such glasses. Won't help me when seeing patients, for example.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post

A challenge to the imagination. The next step.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:46 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Sorry but I fail to see the advantage of using such glasses. Won't help me when seeing patients, for example.
I agree. What's all the fuss about? A head mounted camera? Sure it can be linked to some back-end processing, but it sounds like flying car dreams to me. Maybe I'll be proven wrong.

To the OP: I don't mean to dismiss posting and discussion on this, it's interesting to see what other people think is interesting. It opens my mind to things I might have missed. So thanks for posting.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:52 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I agree. What's all the fuss about? A head mounted camera? Sure it can be linked to some back-end processing, but it sounds like flying car dreams to me. Maybe I'll be proven wrong.

To the OP: I don't mean to dismiss posting and discussion on this, it's interesting to see what other people think is interesting. It opens my mind to things I might have missed. So thanks for posting.

-ERD50
I just don't want to have crap on my head.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:15 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

My understanding is that the head mounted camera will allow a person to surreptitiously take photographs. I can think of many reasons people will find this offensive.
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:16 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Speaking as a patient (not of an ObGyn! ), I wouldn't want my doctor wearing anything like that in that configuration. However, I can envision one day in the future when the technology is adapted with apps for medicos for assisting in surgery or other procedures, medical records, imaging, PDR, etc.

Tyro
Old 03-12-2013, 11:17 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I just don't want to have crap on my head.
Do you think it will be all that long before they incorporate the technology into contacts?

Tyro
Old 03-12-2013, 11:43 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
-ERD50
Anyone here who uses Facebook regularly has probably noticed how good their face recognition software is getting. I was shocked the first time I uploaded a series of photos to Facebook, and as well as putting a square around each face, it named each face for me - and got almost every one right.

Imagine walking down the street wearing Google Glass, while it identifies each person you walk past and on command, flashes their profile information in your vision. You can ask it for more information if you wish, message them, find out who their friends are, perhaps look up other information about them - and that's just one possible application of Google Glass. Doesn't that sound a lot like many of the science fiction TV shows we watch?

The privacy implications are many.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:57 PM   #29

The more I think about this, the more scary it becomes. In George Orwell's 1984, the citizens were being watched by Big Brother through the large TV screens in people's homes and (IIRC) in public places. If in the future, a large number of people are wearing this kind of technology, then everybody will be watching everybody, identifying who they are, where they are, who they are with etc etc and uploading all this data to the internet, where all this information can be archived. The only way to avoid being watched will be to be somewhere where there are no people and even then, there can still be cameras watching you (drones, for example.)

I am not normally the kind of guy who starts ranting about these types of privacy concerns, but I do wonder where this is all going.

(Must start boondocking in an RV soon........ )

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:03 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Doesn't that sound a lot like many of the science fiction TV shows we watch?

The privacy implications are many.
Not only is Big Brother watching; now Big Brother, Big Sister, Big Nextdoor Neighbor, and Big Anybody You Meet on the Street are watching, identifying, kicking @$$ and taking names (and faces, and video).

Privacy implications? Privacy will soon have gone the way of... all those other things that are history.

Tyro

Edit: Hadn't read your follow-up post when I dashed this off...
Old 03-13-2013, 10:14 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The more I think about this, the more scary it becomes. In George Orwell's 1984, the citizens were being watched by Big Brother through the large TV screens in people's homes and (IIRC) in public places. If in the future, a large number of people are wearing this kind of technology, then everybody will be watching everybody, identifying who they are, where they are, who they are with etc etc and uploading all this data to the internet, where all this information can be archived. The only way to avoid being watched will be to be somewhere where there are no people and even then, there can still be cameras watching you (drones, for example.)

I am not normally the kind of guy who starts ranting about these types of privacy concerns, but I do wonder where this is all going.

(Must start boondocking in an RV soon........ )

This was 13 years ago where I was there, but in central London they have cameras all over the place... and good cameras to boot.. they can zoom in and see what you are doing from a long way away....

You can not avoid them... they are everywhere... and I bet there are more now than back then...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:50 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyro View Post
Speaking as a patient (not of an ObGyn! ), I wouldn't want my doctor wearing anything like that in that configuration. However, I can envision one day in the future when the technology is adapted with apps for medicos for assisting in surgery or other procedures, medical records, imaging, PDR, etc.

Tyro

I'd rather have a doc with a big honking mirror on his headband. At least he is trying to see better. Or the doc with a head mounted magnifier.

Besides I don't see the need for a doc to be videoing the session. Or If he wants to do that, I'll have my video cam recording the session as well. Fair enough?
Old 03-13-2013, 02:04 PM   #33
Gone but not forgotten

Not what is today, but what may be tomorrow.

Quantum leaps in technology, as well as integrating the latest advances in different disciplines.

I see Google Glass, as more than a videocam taped to the head with a computer interface.

Remember Hal 9000? And how about artificial intelligence? A 3 terrabyte hard drive, or infinite cloud data storage? What about intraneural microstimulation for enhanced prosthetic control using a peripheral nerve interface?

Not as simple as privacy concerns, but an infinite record of everything but thoughts?

Most of this is available today. Full medical monitoring of measurable functions, and possibly advanced scans of the body, and complete chemical analysis of blood.

All of this running under some part of Google Glass (which doesn't even need glass). The "Glass" is the tiny video screen.

Imagine.... A visual and audible record of every minute of one's life, accessible in a nano second from a voice or nerve initiated command. A three second lookback to that lecture on the Higgs Boson, or a close up view of the Mona Lisa? How about quick locator of that 17 year old and maybe a visual of the bar he's in.

Instant pull up of the bank account, the stock market, sports scores, or maybe a lookback to yesterday at noon, to see where you put your keys?

Interface with anyone, anytime, any part of written knowledge since the beginning of time. Rollback any part of your life, back to the time the glasses were first worn. And about seeing only what your eyes see? Simple to add 360 video ala Google Street View.

Face recognition? Yes even more advanced than today... and voice recognition, and lie detector functions, and language translations and GPS and address and business lookups, and infra red tech, and air quality analyzer, calorie counter... and, and...

Instead of third grade history, a year's class on how to interact with Google Glass.

Skip more than half of education expenses by eliminating the brain filling details that are instantly available. Travel for business unnecessary, holding cell phones... passe.

Just a start. Science in progress. Not a week, a month, a year, or a decade... Every day. Try this:

Google Glass: Apps, gestures, and audio revealed at SXSW - CSMonitor.com

Tiny baby steps today... Imagine ten years from now.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #34

Quote:
I am not normally the kind of guy who starts ranting
You're missing out on a great ER hobby. And there's lots of company right here!
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:43 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

To paraphrase Scott McNeally, cofounder of Sun Microsystem, who said you have no privacy on the internet get over it.

You have no privacy in public get over it.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:23 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
I don't see the need for a doc to be videoing the session. Or If he wants to do that, I'll have my video cam recording the session as well. Fair enough?
Many/most major surgeries are videoed now. You might have a bit of a problem running your video cam while you're under...
Old 03-14-2013, 02:34 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Not what is today, but what may be tomorrow.

Quantum leaps in technology, as well as integrating the latest advances in different disciplines.

I see Google Glass, as more than a videocam taped to the head with a computer interface.
+1, and that was my point about them being used by doctors.

I recently saw the 2009 Si-Fi/Action flick, Surrogates again. A lot of what you describe can be seen in that movie. Then (coincidentally) today I was browsing the web for news on robotic technology, and came across this...

Maybe "Surrogates" aren't too far off after all...

Tyro
Old 03-14-2013, 09:11 AM   #38
Gone but not forgotten

Total coincidence... after a "cute" comment on the Higgs Boson, today, announcement that indeed the Higgs Boson was confirmed.
Particle confirmed as Higgs boson - Science

What was Tomorrow, is now Yesterday.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:13 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
My understanding is that the head mounted camera will allow a person to surreptitiously take photographs. I can think of many reasons people will find this offensive.
Even if this is true, it's already the case. The only difference is that the glasses are already on your head instead of reaching into your pocket or purse to do the same things with your smartphone.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:11 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyro View Post
Many/most major surgeries are videoed now. You might have a bit of a problem running your video cam while you're under...
Surgery is pretty localized, it is a specific task. Not the same as an exam where a variety of things looked and are discussed. Example: prostrate exam. or testicle palpation. Note I am expecting that while the video is running, audio is also recorded.

Though if I am interested I can get a copy of the video of the surgery. In the same way as the operating report is available. Which I do get copies of. Ie. I had sinus surgery at one time, I have a copy of the operating report.