Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-28-2016, 01:39 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
OK, only 90%+ comes of their 2015 revenue came from advertising. Better?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Which means less than 10% come from licensing and other revenue sources such as selling data.
Where did I say "selling data?" You know better anyway. User data is what provides the targeted advertising $ value that traditional ad channels don't. That's monetizing user data.

And I said revenue to illustrate size, not value. Both are key indicators.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2016, 01:52 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueskies123 View Post
You sound a little paranoid. Was there someone in the picture that you did not want to be seen with?
If not then who cares?
One Tag Line I considered was "Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they aren't out to get you." But, even in the situation under discussion, I think my current Tag Line covers it just fine.

My cheap phone doesn't do much, but it will "track" me unless I turn off that "feature". I can think of NO reason that tracking me would be to my benefit. Can't think of too many reasons that it could hurt me, but see also my tag line.

In case you wondered, the tracking IS enabled (and can't be turned off) for 911 calls. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 05:58 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
You wouldn't want something that could connect anyway. That would mean the firewall wasn't effective, right?
I probably wasn't very clear. The pictures wouldn't move 4 feet (from the camera, through the air, to the desktop computer) unless I allowed the software that managed that 4 foot transfer to connect to the internet. The firewall was telling me "hey, this software wants to phone-home" and if I clicked "F.O." (aka disallow connection), then the pictures just wouldn't transfer. If I said "OK, allow snooper now", then the pictures would show-up on my PC.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:10 PM   #44
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Google to me is the closest to the company/entity that are in so many sci-fi shows etc. that keep track of everybody on the planet...
No, that's Facebook <g>.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 09-29-2016, 03:45 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
As to your last sentence on this post... not quite true... they are selling your data to get those advertising dollars...
They're not "selling" your data for that. They're using your data for that. The selling of the data, to the extent it goes on, would be part of non-advertising revenue.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:15 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Just a privacy note on the non-phone cameras...

I bought a Canon point and shoot with wifi so that it would be easy to move my pictures to the PC without hooking-up the USB cable or to move a picture or two to my phone in order to share while I'm away from the PC.

I have an outbound firewall on my PC which I must specifically allow programs running in my machine to access the Internet.

The Canon software on the PC refuses to work unless I allow it through the firewall. This steams me! I thought I paid (with money) for a feature to move my pictures to my PC wirelessly, but apparently I'm being charged per-use, in the form of my personal data. I don't actually know what data is being sent (not every picture, for sure, because I would notice it took a long time), but even meta data about the pictures is (should be) private. I'm tempted to break-out WireShark and see what they're stealing. I'm sure if I looked at the privacy agreement it says they can have my first born (let 'em try...she'd kick their *ss). Don't even get me started on the supposed "disclosures". Consumer Reports this month even reported on a fake company that people actually clicked to agree to give-up their first-born

This kind of turned into a rant. Sorry about that. I'm less concerned about business models that have no visible means of support (i.e. Google) because you know they're going to take every scrap they can get. But if I pay real money for something, it would be nice to have the chance to pay a little more to opt-out of their snooping.
Was an Internet connection listed as a requirement for the camera on the product packaging?

Did you have to accept licensing TOS when you installed the Cannon software that allows this?

If I were in this position I would try installing the software on a machine with no ethernet connection or wifi hardware. It would be interesting to see how the software reacts to this environment (perhaps it would allow the pictures to be transferred or give you and error as to why not).

-gauss
Old 09-29-2016, 08:45 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
Was an Internet connection listed as a requirement for the camera on the product packaging?

Did you have to accept licensing TOS when you installed the Cannon software that allows this?

If I were in this position I would try installing the software on a machine with no ethernet connection or wifi hardware. It would be interesting to see how the software reacts to this environment (perhaps it would allow the pictures to be transferred or give you and error as to why not).

-gauss
I was wondering, was it just the first time the camera software is used. Perhaps to check if registered. Check for updates, etc.

Could try, without photos to allow it once, then block it and try again and see if it still wants to connect.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:10 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

I have had the Samsung phone for a couple years, occasionally take pictures and have not known them to be made public by Google in the past. I don't mind Google (or other similar companies) pushing ads to me, after all they need to make money on service. I do however object to grabbing pictures I have taken and posting them without my express consent for that specific picture. Although this wasn't an issue in this case there are times when people meet for coffee and don't want someone to know about it. For example I plan to schedule a 'coffee meeting' with an executive to discuss subordinates. Neither she nor I want a pic of that activity to show up on Google Maps.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:20 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
I do however object to grabbing pictures I have taken and posting them without my express consent for that specific picture.
I may be dim today, but I still don't understand where the pictures were "posted" and where (in what application) you saw them.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:24 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Notice that I received a 'Thank you for sharing' email from Google (which I posed earlier) and a link to Google Maps. I deleted them as soon as I became aware.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:53 AM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I may be dim today, but I still don't understand where the pictures were "posted" and where (in what application) you saw them.
Google Earth is at least one app that shows pictures taken in spots on the map.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:21 PM   #52

I think Google is quite a bit more nefarious that folks realize. I have noticed that when I visit an establishment, many of the pictures that are included (via a Google search or map data), there will be pictures that aren't very congruent with what is going on. I have seen pictures of restaurants that *will* have group pictures on there. The TOS can be confusing and change constantly, so the odds that your information is being used in a way YOU may not feel to be very appealing is probably happening. Take a look at some of the permissions you give your apps that are on your phone. You *might* be surprised at what you allow them to do.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:26 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Google Earth is at least one app that shows pictures taken in spots on the map.
Yes, but it looks like you have to 'opt in', and even that I think is on a picture by picture basis - it sure does not look like Google just grabs any snap shot you take.

I think OP should ask Google - I'm assuming that someone actually OK'd that pic for posting from the OP end.

-ERD50
Old 09-29-2016, 02:29 PM   #54

Quote:
I have had the Samsung phone for a couple years, occasionally take pictures and have not known them to be made public by Google in the past..........For example I plan to schedule a 'coffee meeting' with an executive to discuss subordinates. Neither she nor I want a pic of that activity to show up on Google Maps.
So don't take a picture of her, which would be weird anyway unless you are in a close relationship.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:31 PM   #55

Quote:
Notice that I received a 'Thank you for sharing' email from Google (which I posed earlier) and a link to Google Maps. I deleted them as soon as I became aware.
I was going to say, tell us a google location and what the picture is about and we could see if we actually see it, or maybe only you see it as it is your photo being overlaid on the google app.

However if you deleted them, then that won't work.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:07 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I was going to say, tell us a google location and what the picture is about and we could see if we actually see it, or maybe only you see it as it is your photo being overlaid on the google app.

However if you deleted them, then that won't work.
This is what I'm thinking as a possibility. If it showed up, it might only be on the OP's login. So it's a nice little reminder that you were there on a certain date, and who you were with. That could be dangerous for some people leading a double life!

I see the pics that are up there are labelled 'public'.

-ERD50
Old 09-30-2016, 04:53 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Where did I say "selling data?"
The legitimate concern expressed earlier was one of protection of data about the user. If they're not selling the data to others, then there is no substantial legitimate concern.

When you use your credit card at a grocery store, you don't begrudge the grocery store using your credit card number (your private data) to charge your account for the cost of your purchases. You surely would begrudge them handing your credit card number over to others.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:58 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
My cheap phone doesn't do much, but it will "track" me unless I turn off that "feature". I can think of NO reason that tracking me would be to my benefit. Can't think of too many reasons that it could hurt me, but see also my tag line.
iOS has a feature that allows you to share your location with family/friends. So you can tell where your SO is without calling or texting. So on the way home is automatic. Same as stopped at the pub!
Old 09-30-2016, 11:14 AM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

I think you may have done something yourself which ended up with the pictures beeing uploaded.

I have been using my android phones as my camera for years and as soon as it was possible with backup to the cloud.

And I have never received any mails like the one you got.

Also if Google did this in a sneaky manner then they would not make you aware of it by sending a thank you letter. This indicates for me that you (or someone using your Google ID) have said OK to uploading photos to maps.

Last - if google really did this without asking we would have had a public outcry. Many media savvy people dislike Google or Apple for various reasons and would have jumped on the chance to bash them.

Quote:
To the best of my knowledge I did not approve of posting pictures on Google Maps, or anywhere other public place for that matter. Most photo storage these days is in the Cloud. I have removed the Google Photo app from my phone. Here is what I received this morning (pics removed):

Thanks for adding photos to Google Maps!
Inbox
x

Google Maps <google-maps-noreply@google.com> Unsubscribe
9:46 PM (13 hours ago)

to me

Thanks for sharing!
Your new photos are a great addition to Google Maps
SEE YOUR PHOTOS ON MAPS
Old 09-30-2016, 11:45 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exrook View Post
No, that's Facebook <g>.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Actually, Google, Microsoft and Facebook are all in a race for AI or machine learning to develop what they hope will be the next "home run" product.

For instance, even if you disable the Cortana voice assistant in W10, it may still be collecting data on you, especially your searches. One solution would be to use a local account instead of logging in with your Microsoft account.

They're basing all this artificial intelligence and data analytics in the cloud. Apple is criticized by some for being behind in AI and the cloud. In their demo of iOS and iPhone 7, they specifically noted that all their image processing where they identify faces and objects in the photos you take on the device itself, not sending data up to the cloud or sending the processing requests to the cloud.

Apple isn't as dependent on advertising as the other 3 companies. In fact they tried mobile advertising with iAd but as far as I know, it hasn't gone anywhere, so they're relying more on making profits from the devices. They are making service revenues on things like Apple Music subscriptions and iCloud storage beyond the free 5 GB. But it's paltry compared to the other companies and they probably have no advertising revenues or profits to speak of.