Google Nexus 5 cell phone

MovingtotheCove

Recycles dryer sheets
Has anyone had any experinece yet with this new phone by LG being sold by Google? It appears to have quite a few benefits for the cost. The 16 GB is I believe $349 direct from Google.

It is supposed to be unlocked. It is supposed to work on T-Mobile who is my carrier. Just curious if anyone has one and your feedback, as well as if simply moving the SIM card worked ok?

I have a treasured Blackberry Curve 9300 that has served me well. Still working but know that someday it appears I must consider moving away from Blackberry products so beginning to look at options. :facepalm:

Thansk for any feedback. :)

I have a Nexus 4 (bought it when they dropped the price by $100 just before discontinuing it). The Nexus 4 and Nexus 5 have a lot power for the price, but there are a few things that they do to get the price down, and while it wasn't enough of a concern for me to stop me from buying (16 GB for $249), it could be for others:

(1) -- no user-serviceable battery. If the battery craps out, the phone is a brick (well, it *can* be taken apart to replace it, voiding the warranty and comes with its own risk of bricking the phone). And it also means you can't keep a spare charged up battery to swap out, or use a higher capacity battery for longer times between charges.

(2) -- you can not attach external USB storage devices to Nexus 4 and 5 phones. You would need to find some way to do this with Bluetooth, most likely, and some equipment that can be hooked into most Android phones can't be used on a Nexus 4/5.

(3) -- No expandable storage with an SD card. In this case, 16 GB is a hard limit.

That said, I'm not enough of a power user that these were big problems for me, and these are some of the tradeoffs the designers made to get the price down. These are design issues that have a lot of the critics grousing, but they have to ask whether those features are important enough to warrant paying another $200-300 for something else, such as a Samsung Galaxy. In my case, I could justify $250 but not $500.

I'm using my Nexus 4 with an AT&T-based MVNO (H2O Wireless) and have had no problems at all. And yes, these phones are absolutely unlocked. You can change providers at any time as long as the phone is compatible with their service. This is important since most people who want unlocked phones are specifically looking to avoid contracts.

Last edited:
Thanks for input. I went back to the Google Play store and the Nexus 5 16 GB black is "out of stock" and the 32 GB black is "ships is 4 - 5 weeks"......apparently their intitial order has really sold fast! Will wait and watch for better shipping information prior to putting one on order now.

Any other input is welcome from any users.

I'm T-Mobile too, and switched to an earlier Google phone, the Galaxy Nexus. I just moved the SIM card and that was it. I like the unadulterated android experience. I got the phone less than 2 years ago but it won't be upgraded to KitKat.

Coach

I think Google has only committed to updating Android on devices they sell for 18 months. After that you may have an orphan. My Nexus 7 is now a year old, so it may not get the next upgrade beyond KitKat (why did they change the name from Key Lime Pie?).

I think Google has only committed to updating Android on devices they sell for 18 months. After that you may have an orphan. My Nexus 7 is now a year old, so it may not get the next upgrade beyond KitKat (why did they change the name from Key Lime Pie?).

No corporate sponsorship money from Key Lime Pie, Incorporated, perhaps?

Back
Top Bottom