Join Early Retirement Today

Google Plus
Old 07-22-2011, 02:17 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Google Plus

I've been on google plus for a couple of days. I can see myself using this, whereas I never really liked facebook. Much easier to filter and limit content. Although I did read a rumor that they might have games on it in the future (I hope not.) If anyone would like an invite send me a PM with your email.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2011, 02:28 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was thinking of starting a thread about Google+ too. I've found it very useful for separating all my geeky ham radio talk with my ham radio buddies, from the more general talk I share with my friends. It's working really well for that.

I've also noticed that my ham radio friends have taken to Google+ really fast, while my regular friends seem reluctant to leave Facebook. The ones who do sign up for Google+ go straight back to FB to do all their chatting. It's going to take a while for this thing to get up to speed.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:34 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree, I am communicating a lot more with my Dad and Brother on Google plus. Most other facebook friends I invited haven't even signed up yet.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:43 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I was thinking of starting a thread about Google+ too. I've found it very useful for separating all my geeky ham radio talk with my ham radio buddies, from the more general talk I share with my friends. It's working really well for that.

I've also noticed that my ham radio friends have taken to Google+ really fast, while my regular friends seem reluctant to leave Facebook. The ones who do sign up for Google+ go straight back to FB to do all their chatting. It's going to take a while for this thing to get up to speed.
I also signed up for Google+ and I really like it better than FB. However, it hasn't quite reached critical mass. My techy friends and former colleagues are using it. However, my Hawaii friends and family aren't on it. I guess I really need to be more aggressive about sending out invites.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:57 PM   #5

Once Google open it up to everyone, that's going to help it reach critical mass. It will take a lot for people to leave FB (or at least start doing all their chatting on Google+), but it just might happen.

I also prefer Google+ to FB. The layout looks cleaner, I like the way that circles operates. I really like the fact that I can make a post and can either:
a) make it publicly viewable, in which case it is a blog post
b) make it viewable to all my Google+ friends, but not to the public, in which case it is more like a status update
c) limit it's view-ability to certain of my circles or
d) send it to one person only, in which case it is a private message.

I can achieve any of the above, all from the same act of making a post.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:04 PM   #6

Is there a way to "gateway" some or all of your google+ posts to a facebook account also ?
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:07 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh View Post
Is there a way to "gateway" some or all of your google+ posts to a facebook account also ?
There is a backdoor if you want to do a two step process through yahoo..

Invite your entire Facebook graph into Google Plus | ZDNet

edit... sorry I didn't read your question correctly
Old 07-22-2011, 03:08 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Jenny disappeared from Facebook recently, and I'll bet she's switched to google plus, and is happy that Mom and Dad haven't discovered it yet.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:18 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

A very big THANK YOU to mickj!!
VaCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaCollector View Post
A very big THANK YOU to mickj!!
a friend just told me about this plugin for chrome also..

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...dcnkoip?hl=en#
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:20 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Jenny disappeared from Facebook recently, and I'll bet she's switched to google plus, and is happy that Mom and Dad haven't discovered it yet.
It's so much more polite than "unfriending"...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:15 AM   #12

Old 07-23-2011, 10:38 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Here's an interesting article on startup "Social Intelligence" mining social networks for background checks... paid for by eager employers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/21/te...gewanted=print

Quote:
Mr. Drucker said his goal was to conduct pre-employment screenings that would help companies meet their obligation to conduct fair and consistent hiring practices while protecting the privacy of job candidates.

For example, he said the reports remove references to a person’s religion, race, marital status, disability and other information protected under federal employment laws, which companies are not supposed to ask about during interviews. Also, job candidates must first consent to the background check, and they are notified of any adverse information found.

He argues the search reduces the risk that employers may confuse the job candidate with someone else or expose the company to information that is not legally allowable or relevant. “Googling someone is ridiculously unfair,” he said. “An employer could discriminate against someone inadvertently. Or worse, they are exposing themselves to all kinds of allegations about discrimination.”

Marc S. Rotenberg, president of the Electronic Privacy Information Center, based in Washington, said that employers were entitled to gather information to make a determination about job-related expertise, but he expressed concern that “employers should not be judging what people in their private lives do away from the workplace.”

Less than a third of the data surfaced by Mr. Drucker’s firm comes from such major social platforms as Facebook, Twitter and MySpace. He said much of the negative information about job candidates comes from deep Web searches that find comments on blogs and posts on smaller social sites, like Tumblr, the blogging site, as well as Yahoo user groups, e-commerce sites, bulletin boards and even Craigslist.

Then there are the photos and videos that people post — or find themselves tagged in — on Facebook and YouTube and other sharing sites like Flickr, Picasa, Yfrog and Photobucket.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote