Join Early Retirement Today

Google Theremin
Old 03-09-2016, 08:49 AM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Google Theremin

If you like playing with music, don't miss today's Google search feature.
The Theremin.
Fun to play with as-is, but you can also download it as an app...
While it doesn't download as a program for PC, a search for "download theremin for PC" brings up multiple downloadable programs.
I tried the first one that came up, and am enjoying the many variations.

Be sure to click on the "Explore how music works", too. Easy to spend some time here. Lots of basics, and some open source tech for much more interesting music stuff.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2016, 10:43 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I learned something new today. I've never heard of a theremin before!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:05 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I learned something new today. I've never heard of a theremin before!
But you've heard it played countless times..

Old 03-09-2016, 11:11 AM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
But you've heard played countless times.
Thanks for that link
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 12:29 PM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

and as mentioned... brings back memories...

from wiki:

Quote:
Recording was a tedious and time-consuming process; each track was assembled one at a time due to Moog synthesizers being monophonic, meaning only one note could be played at a time. Carlos added, "You had to release the note before you could make the next note start, which meant you had to play with a detached feeling on the keyboard, which was really very disturbing in making music".[4] Carlos pointed out the unreliability of the instrument, calling it often going out of tune "standard operating mode", and recalled hitting it with a hammer prior to recording to obtain correct levels. After several notes were played, it was checked once again to make sure it had not "drifted".[4] Switched-On Bach took, according to Carlos, approximately five months and a total of one thousand hours to produce.[5]
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:39 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
and as mentioned... brings back memories...

from wiki:
Quote:
Recording was a tedious and time-consuming process; each track was assembled one at a time due to Moog synthesizers being monophonic, meaning only one note could be played at a time. Carlos added, "You had to release the note before you could make the next note start, which meant you had to play with a detached feeling on the keyboard, which was really very disturbing in making music".[4] Carlos pointed out the unreliability of the instrument, calling it often going out of tune "standard operating mode", and recalled hitting it with a hammer prior to recording to obtain correct levels. After several notes were played, it was checked once again to make sure it had not "drifted".[4] Switched-On Bach took, according to Carlos, approximately five months and a total of one thousand hours to produce.[5]
In case you, or anyone else does not realize - that youtube is NOT from (Walter/Wendy) Carlos's Switched On Bach. It is some terrible, awful, hideous, imitation, that violates every principal of the hard work and soul that she put into that ground-breaking album. I sure hope no one thinks that noise is what Wendy Carlos created!

I couldn't find any of the original on youutube, they must have the copyrights locked up. Fortunately, I have the original LP, several later CDs, and the boxed set.

Much more here, she is a genius in other fields as well:

Wendy Carlos HomePage

But no sound samples either.

Wow, not even on Amazon - I guess they lost their distributor, out of print? I'm sure I didn't pay $240 for the box set (not that it wouldn't be worth that!)!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00002DDS5/$%7B0%7D

edit/add: Hah, Amazon had the record of me purchasing it: $42.99, Ordered on December 6, 2005

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:38 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

A more recent example?

http://youtu.be/_YYABE0R3uA
davemartin88 is offline   Reply With Quote