GoPro Camera

That 40% promo code is sweet.

Make sure you buy an extra battery, and car charger if you're planning on traveling. Batteries only last a couple of hours. The problem with the Gopro is that it comes with a charger that requires it to be plugged into a computer while charging. So I had to buy a separate car charger and a separate battery. But I still I have to charge the battery while it's in the go pro either connected to a car charger or computer. So I can't record video while I'm charging a battery. But I'm also getting a battery eliminator to allow running off a USB power sourcehttp://www.amazon.com/Switronix-DVG...ords=gopro+battery+eliminator#customerReviews

You'll probably end up spending as much on mounts, batteries, chargers, etc as you do on the go pro itself. But it's great fun

Bought hero4 black, extra battery/charger combo, and 64GB micro sd from gopro.com. I paid a few dollars more on battery/charger & msd by buying direct from gopro but I didn't have good experience buying batteries & msds from EBay.

Bought an accessory kit from EBay.

This is going to re-balance my free time. Can't wait to video my golf game, and other stuff and play them on my 4k UHD. If there are not much 4k content, I am making my own.

I got my DH one for his birthday this summer. He mounts it on his motorcycle helmet, and this winter will mount it to his ski helmet. Those should be some fun videos!

I use one of these portable power sources for my little cameras (Contour HD and Muvi) + MP3 player, works great.

Sabrent 2200mAh Compact Portable Backup Battery Power Bank Charger - PB-W300 - Rakuten.com

Thanks for the tip!

Bought hero4 black, extra battery/charger combo, and 64GB micro sd from gopro.com. I paid a few dollars more on battery/charger & msd by buying direct from gopro but I didn't have good experience buying batteries & msds from EBay.

Bought an accessory kit from EBay.

This is going to re-balance my free time. Can't wait to video my golf game, and other stuff and play them on my 4k UHD. If there are not much 4k content, I am making my own.

Excellent! You’re going to have a ball with the Gopro. The more you use it, the more ideas you get for new videos. Great idea on the 64gb card. I bought the 32 first and had to get the 64 later.

I got my DH one for his birthday this summer. He mounts it on his motorcycle helmet, and this winter will mount it to his ski helmet. Those should be some fun videos!

Yep - the ski videos should be very entertaining. He can do a chest mount, helmet mount, or maybe get daring and mount on a lower leg or ski tip

Hi GoPro folks out there - I'm bumping this thread to ask a question. (The posts above have already been very helpful, thanks!)

DH's disability now means that he rides in our motorhome lying down as sitting is too uncomfortable. But it means that he can see very little of the scenery which is half the fun of traveling. So I got the idea to get a GoPro, mount it in the cab pointed out the windshield, and let him watch the scenery on his iPhone or iPad. I don't know anything about GoPros, but based on their website it looks like the Hero4 Silver might do this using the app. Would he just watch in "LivePreview" mode? Can you do that indefinitely (limited by battery life obviously)? Any other thoughts on this or tips on setting it up? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
The thing about a GoPro is that it only gives one field of view, and unless you're up close, everything looks very small. You might consider simply mounting a digital camera that has a zoom capability instead, and you could probably do it less expensively. Many cameras now have apps that allow you (via WiFi, but I'm sure there are USB adapters too) to "stream" video and stills or just the view from the LCD directly on a phone or iPad as well.

I would work out a system with a camera and get it hooked to big the big TV,

Hi GoPro folks out there - I'm bumping this thread to ask a question. (The posts above have already been very helpful, thanks!)

DH's disability now means that he rides in our motorhome lying down as sitting is too uncomfortable. But it means that he can see very little of the scenery which is half the fun of traveling. So I got the idea to get a GoPro, mount it in the cab pointed out the windshield, and let him watch the scenery on his iPhone or iPad. I don't know anything about GoPros, but based on their website it looks like the Hero4 Silver might do this using the app. Would he just watch in "LivePreview" mode? Can you do that indefinitely (limited by battery life obviously)? Any other thoughts on this or tips on setting it up? Thanks in advance!

Yep - simple. Get the gopro, and the iPad gopro app and view the live gopro video on the iPad through the app. The app creates a wifi connection between the iPad and the gopro. The gopro eats its battery fast with the wifi turned on, so you'll need a means for connecting the gopro to the vehicle battery(while the gopro is running - not just charging). I have a Switronix battery eliminator that powers the gopro from a computer use port or wall outlet. If you add a USBbuddy, I assume that you could power the gopro from the vehicle battery. I haven't bought a USBbuddy - yet.

I know it works while recording- I'll check the preview mode

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Yep - simple. Get the gopro, and the iPad gopro app and view the live gopro video on the iPad through the app. The app creates a wifi connection between the iPad and the gopro. The gopro eats its battery fast with the wifi turned on, so you'll need a means for connecting the gopro to the vehicle battery(while the gopro is running - not just charging). I have a Switronix battery eliminator that powers the gopro from a computer use port or wall outlet. If you add a USBbuddy, I assume that you could power the gopro from the vehicle battery. I haven't bought a USBbuddy - yet.

I know it works while recording- I'll check the preview mode

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

That or Android pad and then HDMI adapter out to the big TV and you are good to go.

Thanks for all the tips! I clearly have more research to do but this gives me ideas of where to start.

So is GoPro what most people set up these days when they want a dashcam?

What was used "before" GoPro?

Thinking of a dashcam setup as we head out with the fifth wheeler but don't really know what I need. How does the dashcam or GoPro attach - suction cup to windshield?

Thanks for any comments. The comments in this thread are very helpful.

Kindest regards.

I use a GoPro sometimes as a dash cam, with the clamp mount. But lately I have used it mounted to my front or rear license plate. I haven't used any other kind of dash cam, and I don't know what was used prior to the go pro. I'm very happy happy with my go pro so far, finding lots of uses for it. A go pro would work great in your RV setup, just get enough batteries, or a battery connection to the vehicle.

Attachments

• goprof150mount.jpg
    goprof150mount.jpg
    454.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I use a GoPro sometimes as a dash cam, with the clamp mount. But lately I have used it mounted to my front or rear license plate. I haven't used any other kind of dash cam, and I don't know what was used prior to the go pro. I'm very happy happy with my go pro so far, finding lots of uses for it. A go pro would work great in your RV setup, just get enough batteries, or a battery connection to the vehicle.

Does this license plate mount position capture more? I could see how a dash mount would suffer from the truck hood blocking out some of the picture.

Do you have a wire strung to it somehow for the battery connection? Thx.

So is GoPro what most people set up these days when they want a dashcam?

What was used "before" GoPro?

Thinking of a dashcam setup as we head out with the fifth wheeler but don't really know what I need. How does the dashcam or GoPro attach - suction cup to windshield?

Thanks for any comments. The comments in this thread are very helpful.

Kindest regards.

Dedicated dash-cams have specialized features like continual recording (overwrites memory at the end of loop) and are equipped for vehicle 12v, come with mounting hardware etc...
I am shopping too. a couple useful links -

https://dashcamtalk.com/dash-cam-buying-guide/

A popular brand comp -

Comparing the LS300W, LS330W, LS400W, LS430W, GT300W, and GT550WS

Does this license plate mount position capture more? I could see how a dash mount would suffer from the truck hood blocking out some of the picture.

Do you have a wire strung to it somehow for the battery connection? Thx.

It does have a bigger capture area than a dash mount due to truck hood, etc. I haven't hooked it up to the truck battery yet. But there are cables out there that would do that. I'm looking at these.

LongShot Systems - Hardened Power Systems

I do have a safety tether when I'm using it on the road. Here's a sample video - taken from my truck license plate mount with my nephew and niece's husband on motorcycles on a beer run.

Beer Run

Back
Top Bottom