GoPro Camera

Brdofpray

Recycles dryer sheets
I am interested in anybody's experiences with a GoPro camera. I am sold on the quality of video, and the action shots that can be attained. My question is, once I have the video edited in iMovie, (yes I have a Mac) how can I store them? I know they can be uploaded to YouTube, emailed, twitterized, and Facebooked. Can I burn them to a DVD for archival purposes.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Easily.
I usually just save them from iMovie as mp4 files.

If you don't have DVD burning software (like Toast (which I use) or iDVD), you can get one like DVD Creator (free trial version).

I got a go pro a few months ago and primarily use the free go pro studio software. Easy to use. I have used IPhoto a little, but it sometimes crashes when I use it with go pro files.

I keep my raw files on an external drive, but they can be burned to a dvd or other media. The files are like any other computer files- but usually bigger.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
Anyone attach their to a quad copter yet?

We have put ours on our dogs and our ATV's. Going to put it on our snow mobile this winter.

what else have you all done with yours?

No quad copter yet. Still researching, but will have one by spring.

Its cool that you've attached yours to your dogs. I've attached mine to my kayak, pontoon boat, car, truck, atv, riding mower, and bicycle. Also shot hummingbirds, frogs, train set, and time lapse construction videos from a stationary mount.

I like the humming bird idea,w ill have to try that in the spring.

Am thinking about hooking it to one of my dogs for when everyone comes over for Christmas eve, will see.

I am really looking forward tot the quad copter thing...................

Just picked up the entry level Hero for my daughter as a Xmas present. She is already editing other pictures and movies like a professional, albeit using cheap and old cameras.

I've got some really nice kayaking GoPro footage... sometimes I mount it on the deck, sometimes on my head... and by mounting it on my chest I can critique my paddlestroke technique.

I love my GoPro. :dance:

Just picked up the entry level Hero for my daughter as a Xmas present. She is already editing other pictures and movies like a professional, albeit using cheap and old cameras.

That will be a cool gift. I would have LOVED to have one as a teenager...the ideas I would have come up with!

I have attached mine to all sorts of things. Probably the best video was hanging out the back of an airplane...turned out great.

I love mine for diving. DW has a big U/W camera rig, which does take better still shots--but having the GoPro in my pocket (with no drag!) for video without worrying about lens selection before the dive is really nice.

I scrapped my kayak footage - it was one of my first movies - no sound, just a short spin around the lake with no excitement. Here's the hummingbird footage

I like the humming bird idea,w ill have to try that in the spring.

Am thinking about hooking it to one of my dogs for when everyone comes over for Christmas eve, will see.

I am really looking forward tot the quad copter thing...................

Great idea on hooking it on one of the dogs.

We had the family over for our Christmas celebration on Saturday and I had the archived movies and photos on the TV through Apple TV. But had I thought of it, I should have attached it to my SIL's golden retriever.

I've decided to get the DJI Phantom 2 quad copter. But I'm seeing mixed reviews on the gimbal stabilizer that I'm thinking about. So I'm in limbo on ordering it. Plus I think they have cold weather limits such that flying during the winter could be problematic.

I scrapped my kayak footage - it was one of my first movies - no sound, just a short spin around the lake with no excitement. Here's the hummingbird footage

Awesome--I fired up the PC just to see this (my ipad wouldn't run it--thanks, Apple). I'm sold :)

Awesome--I fired up the PC just to see this (my ipad wouldn't run it--thanks, Apple). I'm sold :)

I know - it's weird. Some of the .mov files made by the GoPro Studio software run on an iPad, some don't. Some of the files I put on my MIL's iPad didn't run. Had to do 'File/Create new version/Create iPad...version" in iTunes. The process creates .m4v files that the iPad can handle.

The .mov files are huge though. i have some 3-4 minute videos with sound at around 580 mb. The converted .m4v files are roughly a third of the .mov file size.

I can't wait to get some snow. I'm going to attach it to my atv (maybe on the plow blade) and do a plowing video

The above info is good to know! I want to buy gopro hero 4 black and about to bid on on 40% promo code on Ebay. If the code works, that'd be sweet.

That 40% promo code is sweet.

Make sure you buy an extra battery, and car charger if you're planning on traveling. Batteries only last a couple of hours. The problem with the Gopro is that it comes with a charger that requires it to be plugged into a computer while charging. So I had to buy a separate car charger and a separate battery. But I still I have to charge the battery while it's in the go pro either connected to a car charger or computer. So I can't record video while I'm charging a battery. But I'm also getting a battery eliminator to allow running off a USB power sourcehttp://www.amazon.com/Switronix-DVGP3USB-Battery-Eliminator-10-Feet/dp/B00JXNX6BU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419274394&sr=8-1&keywords=gopro+battery+eliminator#customerReviews

You'll probably end up spending as much on mounts, batteries, chargers, etc as you do on the go pro itself. But it's great fun

We have put ours on our dogs and our ATV's. Going to put it on our snow mobile this winter.
Its cool that you've attached yours to your dogs.
Attach to your dog and kayak? This thread is useless with pictures!
Great idea on hooking it on one of the dogs.

http://shop.gopro.com/mounts/fetch-dog-harness/ADOGM-001.html
http://www.wired.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/pdp_image2x_ADOGM-001_main2.jpg

Last edited:
That 40% promo code is sweet.

Make sure you buy an extra battery, and car charger if you're planning on traveling. Batteries only last a couple of hours. The problem with the Gopro is that it comes with a charger that requires it to be plugged into a computer while charging. So I had to buy a separate car charger and a separate battery. But I still I have to charge the battery while it's in the go pro either connected to a car charger or computer.

You'll probably end up spending as much on mounts, batteries, chargers, etc as you do on the go pro itself. But it's great fun

I use one of these portable power sources for my little cameras (Contour HD and Muvi) + MP3 player, works great.

Sabrent 2200mAh Compact Portable Backup Battery Power Bank Charger - PB-W300 - Rakuten.com

Back
Top Bottom