Got a Make-Your-Stuff-Obsolete Machine

I started watching "A boy and his dog," the old Don Johnson sci film. Didn't make it too far since it was standard def and it looked bad on my high def TV.

I still haven't tired of watching the pretty colors and sharp images on the CBS evening news. Every day my watch alarm goes off at 5:25 to remind me to watch it. First time in 20 years that I've regularly watched anything live.

-----------------------------

I've noticed that with almost all of the old movies, the plot moves along very slowly. It was a different world back then. Especially true with the old TV sitcoms (Bob Newhart, Mary Tyler Moore).

I still haven't tired of watching the pretty colors and sharp images on the CBS evening news.
Check out the HD quality of the ABC evening news. You'll note anchorwoman Dianne Sawyer is never shown in HD - her face always looks like the cameraman smeared some Vaseline on the lens! :cool:

Check out the HD quality of the ABC evening news. You'll note anchorwoman Dianne Sawyer is never shown in HD - her face always looks like the cameraman smeared some Vaseline on the lens! :cool:
:LOL: And I've never met a man who wasn't madly in love with her.

I'm glad someone else noticed this (I saw this when she was on GMA).

I'll take it a step further. It always seems to me that her eyes are clear, bright and sharp. I'm wondering if they are doing a form of live digital editing to soften the face, but keep the eyes themselves clear. Like a subtle form of that smearing out the criminals face, but just a bit of softening, and a clear spot for each of the eyeballs. They could track it manually or automatically. Pretty sure this is very do-able with today's technology.

-ERD50

CBS is the only channel that we get in 1080p digital. It does seem that Couric wears a lot of makeup. You don't notice that in SD.

I am not in love with Diane either. Here's the TV personality that I like to watch on the tube: Melissa Francis. Not madly in love, but I am a sucker for women with big eyes.

francis_melissa_240x250_v2.jpg

I wish people would stop posting videos of that Frenchie news anchor. She's been stalking me for years. Right there, about 54 seconds in, you can hear her say it as plain as day: "Leonidas, je veux avoir vos bébés!"

Not to highjack this thread, but the economics of library DVDs just slays me. They are totally free, and it isn't any further or more inconvenient to get them at the library rather than at Blockbuster (at upwards of $4 a pop), so you would think that the library would overrun with folks checking out DVDs.

Nope. Very little traffic.

Seems contrary to everything I know about economics.

The last time I checked, they were not free at our library and you have to drive downtown and pay to park in the parking lot. Redbox is much easier and closer.

I like watching the news and CNN in high def.
The funny thing I notice is peoples eyes. You can actually see the studio lights reflecting in the pupils. Kind of strange since I've never seen that on standard def TV. I can sometimes count the number of lights.

Back
Top Bottom