Got Huge boat, no place to dock?

These megarich are playing the game: Mine is longer than yours.

Reminds me of the skit by some comedians playing the game of of mine is longer than yours. After a few go arounds they unzip their pants and whip them out. Shirt tails that is.

Yeah, when you need to burn thru a serious pile of money to trump your buddies, there's nothing like a boat. Houses generally have zoning and other limitations, if planes get to big, they are hard to fly, but the Panama canal is the most expressed limitation for big boats [panamax] , and it's getting bigger soon. "Sure, with big payments, we can make it bigger"

I used to kid a buddy of mine that he better stop off at the refinery in Anacortes to fuel up, it's probably not a joke for some of these guys. Too much money creates entertaining absurdities.

This is about as big a boat as I'm likely to have. Anything more is a bit of overkill for the Potomac River in WV. No dock needed, I just lean it in a corner of the garage and the seats go in a big duffel bag in the basement.

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 2
  • boat2.jpg
    boat2.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 3
Long Yacht story short, I was at a b-ball tourney my university was competing. At the bar between games, I meet a guy who was a Chem Engr, graduated 7 yr prior to me (Elect Engr). He was from Palm Beach, but also had a home in Newport Beach. I asked if he was in to yachting, (boating is sooo goach), he was. No real place in Palm Bch, so he was in Ft L. 123' east coast, 242' on west coast.
"Wow, you must have studied much harder than I did !!!" was my response.
He worked of a company which was sucessful, greatly due to him, and was bought out big time, by a large comglomerate.

Unlike Kerry who married his money, this gentleman earned his.

This thread is making me slowly come to terms with the fact that my $40 inflatable raft from walmart that has a hole in it doesn't compete in the world of yachting.

Nice site!!!

But it looks like Azzam will not be the largest for long...

For less than $450 mill, you can buy this...

2015 Custom Gigayacht Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Assuming I actually would want the [-]damn[/-] thing, I could have it delivered to my front stoop for only:

Click on image to enlarge 600' Custom Gigayacht

• Year: 2015
  • Current Price: EUR 350,000,000
    (US$ 449,960,000)
  • Located In Fort Lauderdale, FL
  • Hull Material: Steel
  • Engine/Fuel Type: Twin diesel
  • YW# 67211-1657843
Get a shipping estimate Shipping Estimate: $1,478.27 Details

Yeah, right. :facepalm:

I plan to attach a 40 hp Evinrude to the dock and slowly (oh, so slowly) push the North American plate northward to escape the global warming trend for a while. Now THAT is a big yacht!

This is about as big a boat as I'm likely to have. Anything more is a bit of overkill for the Potomac River in WV. No dock needed, I just lean it in a corner of the garage and the seats go in a big duffel bag in the basement.
Nice PORTA-BOTE Walt :)
Did you know you can even sail these? (with an optional sail kit)

Assuming I actually would want the [-]damn[/-] thing, I could have it delivered to my front stoop for only:

Click on image to enlarge 600' Custom Gigayacht

• Year: 2015
  • Current Price: EUR 350,000,000
    (US$ 449,960,000)
  • Located In Fort Lauderdale, FL
  • Hull Material: Steel
  • Engine/Fuel Type: Twin diesel
  • YW# 67211-1657843
Get a shipping estimate Shipping Estimate: $1,478.27 Details

Yeah, right. :facepalm:

I have it on good authority from inside sources that there will be a special deal next week - free shipping on orders above $440,000,000. Hold off for a real bargain!

-ERD50

Nice PORTA-BOTE Walt :)
Did you know you can even sail these? (with an optional sail kit)

Yes, I've seen the sail kit. What I usually do is motor upriver for 15-20 minutes and then drift back down with the current, using oars to avoid any obstacles. Whether I catch any fish is irrelevant.

Non-boaters or new money call them 'yachts'.

The polite or old money call them 'boats', whether 50 feet or 300 feet. "So we were having a few friends overnight on the boat and the darnedest thing happened....".

Out of curiosity, I went to Google and checked out Tiger's yacht compared to Greg Norman's. Tiger's is 155 ft. long while Greg's is 228 ft. long. Tiger's yacht cost $70M and I don't know about Norman's. I'll bet it cost twice as much, but then Norman has a lot more money than Tiger.

Norman doesn;t have a lot more money than Tiger, he just likes to spend more of it..........:LOL:

Norman doesn;t have a lot more money than Tiger, he just likes to spend more of it..........:LOL:

I really don't know have the financial goods on either of these guys but I think Norman's overall wealth is at least twice that of Tiger's. Greg is into golf course design and construction, has his name tagged onto a lot of properties and then there is his clothing line. Just my take on it.

Non-boaters or new money call them 'yachts'.

The polite or old money call them 'boats', whether 50 feet or 300 feet. "So we were having a few friends overnight on the boat and the darnedest thing happened....".

Right, only the noveu rich and poseurs talk yachts, cadillacs, mansions, chinchilla furs, etc..

Those with an established sense of comfort do refer to boats, cars, home, coats, etc.

It is called the rule of "even if it is", just call things by basic name.

I just looked up Porta-Bote's ... now I want one !!! Now I need to figure out if I can manuver a 78 lb item by myself and how much they cost.

Reading this thread has inspired me to polish my resume, get a job, until I can afford a yacht with a submarine. I don't really trust helicopters.

I just looked up Porta-Bote's ... now I want one !!! Now I need to figure out if I can manuver a 78 lb item by myself and how much they cost.

OK... how much do they cost:confused: You have to give them your info to get it for some reason...

They come in different sizes. Mine is 10 foot, bought used off Craigslist for $900. It had been wet once.

The outboard is a Briggs & Stratton, discounted because it was a store's floor display. Basically it's a beefed-up lawn mower engine on an outboard lower end. Noisier, but no water intake to get clogged.

Things are bought & sold all the time on this Yahoo group: PortaBote : Yahoo Portabote Group

Back
Top Bottom