Got Huge boat, no place to dock?

ls99

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Nice Boat, No Dock | WSJ.Money Summer 2013 - WSJ.com

Seems some megayacht owners are unable to dock at some desirable ports. Too big to fit.

OTOH a Hong Kong owner thinks his best investment was in a long term boat dock.

"Indeed, the fortunate few who have berths are reluctant to let them go. Johnny Chan, a fund manager in Hong Kong, calls his "lucky" decision in 2006 to secure a long-term lease of a berth at the Aberdeen Marine Club as "a much better investment than almost all asset classes.""

Can't say that I feel their pain.

Nice Boat, No Dock | WSJ.Money Summer 2013 - WSJ.com

Seems some megayacht owners are unable to dock at some desirable ports. Too big to fit.

OTOH a Hong Kong owner thinks his best investment was in a long term boat dock.

"Indeed, the fortunate few who have berths are reluctant to let them go. Johnny Chan, a fund manager in Hong Kong, calls his "lucky" decision in 2006 to secure a long-term lease of a berth at the Aberdeen Marine Club as "a much better investment than almost all asset classes.""

Can't say that I feel their pain.

First world problem? :LOL:

Heck, you don't need a mega yacht to have that problem. Check with Seattleites with large boats.

Savvy boat buyers know that before you buy a yacht you buy your moorage.

Cruising mega yacht owners can anchor out and use a taxi/shuttle boat into town. They have crews on board after all.

Available dock space is one of my first considerations whenever I need a larger yacht. My response so far to this problem is in two parts.

First, I never buy such a large yacht for a given continent that it can't be comfortably accommodated at 90% of the resorts I plan to visit during the current yachting season. This, of course, limits my options, and often precludes the option of a second helicopter aboard.

To somewhat mitigate that issue, I have two larger yachts that are mainly used for intercontinental sailing (one in the Atlantic, the other in the Pacific). These have enough room to comfortably carry such essentials, and can frequently be berthed in many of the larger harbors.

True, this system keeps my crews pretty much constantly on the run, keeping up with my travels, but that is their job, after all.

With a little planning, these petty annoyances can usually be avoided.

I know of one yacht owner who bought a beautiful yacht but didn't consider its range. He can sail north of San Diego but can't carry enough fuel to go to Cabo. You can go fast, or you can go far, but you can't go fast and far without giving up something.

The yacht broker did very well, however.

That's what anchors are for. Just make sure your dingy is not too big for the passenger load zone dock...hehe.

I just anchor my large boat off the coast and fly in with the helicopter. No docking fees. I try to live below my means after all.:LOL:

Last edited:
I know of one yacht owner who bought a beautiful yacht but didn't consider its range. He can sail north of San Diego but can't carry enough fuel to go to Cabo. You can go fast, or you can go far, but you can't go fast and far without giving up something.

The yacht broker did very well, however.

Guess towing a fuel barge is not very stylish.

Just watched a TV show today called Wealth on the Water. This episode showcased this boat a man had custom built to 100 feet in length as this was the maximum that could be accommodated at most yacht basins. The guy checked this out pretty thoroughly.

Available dock space is one of my first considerations whenever I need a larger yacht. My response so far to this problem is in two parts.

First, I never buy such a large yacht for a given continent that it can't be comfortably accommodated at 90% of the resorts I plan to visit during the current yachting season. This, of course, limits my options, and often precludes the option of a second helicopter aboard.

To somewhat mitigate that issue, I have two larger yachts that are mainly used for intercontinental sailing (one in the Atlantic, the other in the Pacific). These have enough room to comfortably carry such essentials, and can frequently be berthed in many of the larger harbors.

True, this system keeps my crews pretty much constantly on the run, keeping up with my travels, but that is their job, after all.

With a little planning, these petty annoyances can usually be avoided.

Tell Mitt I said hello.

That's just a yacht.

Now the Eclipse (see my photos from Barbados last year) is a YACHT.

Eclipse has two helicopter pads, 24 guest cabins, two swimming pools, several hot tubs, and a disco hall.[9] It is also equipped with three launch boats and a mini-submarine that is capable of submerging to 50 metres. Approximately 70 crew members are needed to operate the yacht.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eclipse_(yacht)

Attachments

• IMG-20120118-00230.jpg
    IMG-20120118-00230.jpg
    587.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG-20120118-00231.jpg
    IMG-20120118-00231.jpg
    629.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
You guys that anchor off shore and take your so-called "helicopter" in to the port are obviously poseurs that don't really own big yachts. I mean, half the allure is docking in the middle of the port and being seen by everyone getting on and off your boat, and having quick access to it. Who has time to be flying or shuttling back and forth to an off-shore yacht? What are you people, retired?

We had to go down and gawk at Tiger Woods yacht when he came to Kiawah. I'm thinking that he'd have had a lower profile if he'd just rented a house out there, but maybe that wasn't his goal. Going back and forth from the outside dock meant he had a lot of exposure to public view. Boat name: "Privacy". :cool:

Attachments

• Privacy.jpg
    Privacy.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 13
Out of curiosity, I went to Google and checked out Tiger's yacht compared to Greg Norman's. Tiger's is 155 ft. long while Greg's is 228 ft. long. Tiger's yacht cost $70M and I don't know about Norman's. I'll bet it cost twice as much, but then Norman has a lot more money than Tiger.

Huh? Who wants to be at a smelly, noisy dock when you can use your helicopter!

Au contraire!
Eclipse is a mere bathtub toy compared to the Azzam.

These megarich are playing the game: Mine is longer than yours.

Reminds me of the skit by some comedians playing the game of of mine is longer than yours. After a few go arounds they unzip their pants and whip them out. Shirt tails that is.

Back
Top Bottom