Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-31-2011, 03:16 PM   #41

Enjoying a quiet night in with DH. Going to try making 2 new dishes - curried sweet potato soup and chicken piccata. Will have a little wine, watch the festivities on t.v., and ring in 2012 hoping for health and happiness. No matter what happens, I'm always happy as long as I have my DH!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2011, 03:17 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper1 View Post
Don't go out anymore because it is amateur hour on the road.
I couldn't agree more - last thing I want is to find myself sharing the road with anyone who might be both drunk and texting behind the wheel!
steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:26 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Enjoying a quiet night in with DH. Going to try making 2 new dishes - curried sweet potato soup and chicken piccata. Will have a little wine, watch the festivities on t.v., and ring in 2012 hoping for health and happiness. No matter what happens, I'm always happy as long as I have my DH!
I think I speak for everyone here SG, that we wish you health and happiness as well. Hoping 2012 to be a year of successful recovery for you.

...open up your mind and see like me...
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:27 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Been married to my dear wife for 26 years now. It is nice to be in love isn't it.
ripper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:32 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
We are having a large family party (no different than any other weekend). We start having drinks and watching the sunset over the Pacific. We will have dinner at around 11pm and then drinking and dancing till dawn , when we watch the sunrise over the Andes. We have several traditions here:
1. All the girls wear yellow thongs and make sure every guy in the room is aware.
I can't get this picture out of my head. Does this go on all over town?
Old 12-31-2011, 04:06 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
I think I speak for everyone here SG, that we wish you health and happiness as well. Hoping 2012 to be a year of successful recovery for you.
Yes indeed.......
Old 12-31-2011, 04:29 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightasadrum View Post
I can't get this picture out of my head. Does this go on all over town?
Actually it is a tradition around the country. The street vendors set up their stalls around thanksgiving (nothing but yellow thongs) to make sure every young girl has time to make the money to buy a pair. I think it has something to do with the Catholic Church (Peru is 99% catholic), because you always hear the guys saying "Thank you Jesus" when they crank up the reggaeton!

Gotta go as the sun is setting as I write and there are guests on the Terraza!

Happy New year all!
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:35 PM   #48
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
+1
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:38 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I couldn't agree more - last thing I want is to find myself sharing the road with anyone who might be both drunk and texting behind the wheel!
We feel the same way. The drunk texters are already out in force in New Orleans. We don't drink, and I am hypersensitive to the smoke and noise of fireworks (especially when I am congested with a bad cold like this one). Our plans for tonight are to stay home and leave the roads to those who dare brave them. I hope everyone has a Happy New Year!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:50 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl
+3
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:55 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

We survived 2011 as planned. Here is DW painting with her new pochad box at Tomales Bay yesterday:

Did not stay up to midnight. Ready to do my first run today.

Happy New Year!
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:10 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Went to bed early last night. Currently, my wife is preparing some dishes for a New-Year dinner party with some family members who live in town.

Am logging off now to go out to help. Will be sipping my "gasoline-like" booze later tonight ;-)

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:14 AM   #53

Thank you everyone for your well-wishes!

My chicken piccata and curried sweet potato soup came out awesome (if I do say so myself, LOL!).

Today I've got pork loin roast with apples and sauerkraut going in the crock pot. We'll be watching football all day and working on a jig saw puzzle that is TOUGH!

Happy New Year's Day all!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:56 AM   #54
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Thank you everyone for your well-wishes!

My chicken piccata and curried sweet potato soup came out awesome (if I do say so myself, LOL!).

Today I've got pork loin roast with apples and sauerkraut going in the crock pot. We'll be watching football all day and working on a jig saw puzzle that is TOUGH!

Happy New Year's Day all!
I also have pork roast with sauerkraut in the crock pot plus I have black beans soaking to make black bean soup to use up my leftover ham .
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Pattys-...up/Detail.aspx
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:30 PM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Best New Years' Eve I've ever had in Hawaii, thanks to the fireworks ban.

It was much subdued, and most of the people on the street cleaned out all the explosives that they've had stashed in their garage. Next year may be even quieter.

Today will be our first huli-huli chicken and burger BBQ of 2012...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:21 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Best New Years' Eve I've ever had in Hawaii, thanks to the fireworks ban.

It was much subdued, and most of the people on the street cleaned out all the explosives that they've had stashed in their garage. Next year may be even quieter.
Great! That's very hard for me to imagine. When I lived there, fireworks were considered to be a cultural imperative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Today will be our first huli-huli chicken and burger BBQ of 2012...
Aw, you're killing me! Enjoy a little extra chicken for me. And if anybody brings malasadas, that too.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:53 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Great! That's very hard for me to imagine. When I lived there, fireworks were considered to be a cultural imperative.
"Chinese" firecrackers at the corners of your house to drive away the evil spirits? No problem-- the law permits it.

Aerials in everyone's back yard, plus M80s and acetylene balloons and concussion detonations that would rattle your windows every couple of minutes and set off car alarms for hundreds of yards... nothing cultural there, just an EOD and UXO nightmare.

There was actually no smoke in our yard last night. I could see all the way down the gulch, and I could see all the way up to the stars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Aw, you're killing me! Enjoy a little extra chicken for me. And if anybody brings malasadas, that too.
It was yummy! We won't have to cook for a week, so you still have time to get here and help with the leftovers. And a bag of Leonard's finest...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:57 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
It was yummy! We won't have to cook for a week, so you still have time to get here and help with the leftovers. And a bag of Leonard's finest...
Leonard's? Oh, man, now you're really KILLIN' me! I had forgotten all about Leonard's. Sounds like a wonderful party.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:18 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Had cochinita pibil with pickled red onions, black beans, plantains and caesar salad. The Domaine St. Michelle Brut went amazingly well with the cochinita pibil. Then we opened the other bottle to unwrap Xmas presents (one brother and SIL missed Xmas weekend ). In bed by 11:00. Fireworks started going off at 11:30. Maybe I heard an extra effort at midnight, but I was pretty fast asleep, so I'm not sure.....

Tamales, black beans, and brisket for New Year's Day lunch.

Other brother and family leaving today. Thus ends my 10 days of servitude as galley slave. My dad eats light so he's easy to cook for. Dinner for 7 to 9 adults though, whew!

Audrey
Old 01-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #60

My last New Years in Germany - lots of fireworks - I live in the country, so it was sort of subdued....sort of :-) The most amazing thing was we live a bit higher than the valley of Stuttgart and I could see fireworks across the whole valley in the distance for over 30 minutes - was beautiful. It was quite warm - we've only had one day of snow so far - last year on Christmas Eve we had close to 3 feet and Jan had temperatures that never got over 0deg C. Today it was 57 deg F! It feels like late spring outside.

What was also amazing was the quality of the fireworks - this is the same quality I used to see at the managed shows in Arizona 20+ years ago...and these fireworks in Germany were being lit by the neighbors. Hmmmm. I wonder what the ERs look like on New Year's Eve/Day around here.