Got New Years Plans?

braumeister said:
I know some people have a tradition of eating Hoppin' John on New Year's Day, but I don't know of any other food-related traditions related to this day.

southern tradition: blackeyed peas and turnip/collard greens. The peas are for future coins and greens are for dollar bills. Tradition says the more you eat, the more you earn. Always worked for me.

I'm going on a 14 mile, 4k elevation gain hike New Year's Eve day (the same hike I did Christmas Eve). That night my partner and I will probably make dinner and watch DVDs. If I'm awake at midnight it will be because I have to pee. :LOL:

New Year's Day we are going to a friend's house for brunch.

No plan this year. I just came back from Europe and, with the jet lag, I doubt I'll be able to keep my eyes open until midnight.

southern tradition: blackeyed peas and turnip/collard greens. The peas are for future coins and greens are for dollar bills. Tradition says the more you eat, the more you earn. Always worked for me.

Yes, that is one of the variants of Hoppin' John (there are many).

Hoppin' John - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Another variant is the Brazilian version called feijoada, using black beans instead of black-eyed peas. When I lived in Brazil for a few years in the 1980s, this was a traditional Sunday dinner and festive occasion meal.

I am glad plenty of people also have problems staying awake late, not just this geezer-before-his-time.

Talk about a long dinner, a few years ago, on a trip to Seattle, I made a reservation at this place that served a 9-course prix fixe dinner. It was not that exclusive, and still would have been the most expensive dinner that we ever had, but the price included wine pairing with each course, so that would not be too bad.

Then, I changed my mind and canceled. I was afraid I would have problems staying up that late, and then had to drive back to the hotel (this place was a few miles to the NE of downtown). The establishment had an inn with nice rooms, which would allow us to walk to bed after dinner. But when I added the room charge to the meal cost, the frugal in me tightened up his wallet :) This was not during any holiday. My wife also said that at that price, she would not enjoy the experience either. She does not even drink wine!

I guess one of these days, we will have to "do it", just for the heck of it.

With our new lifestyle, we now stay up until 11 anyway, so maybe we should go for midnight.

I've added another tradition to the above. Beano.;)

I stopped at the neighborhood butcher shop today and picked up a couple lucious 1.5" thick USDA Prime ribeye steaks and some jumbo prawns to grill over the coals New Years Eve. Then we'll sit around and enjoy our usual Saturday night show on RFD-TV, then tune into Willie Nelson's NYE concert from Austin,TX on Sirius!!! Then we'll turn on the TV to watch the ball drop in NYC!

New Years Day will be a feeding frenzy for us! I'll be fixing breakfast fairly early, so we will be hungry by noon when we head down to the monthly community meal (turkey dinner) at the Episcopal Church. Then for the evening meal, I'm fixing Hoppin' John and cornbread!!!

Tonight we will celebrate DW's 60th. shhh... She does not yet know. We will have a paella (rabbit and snail), langostinos, ceviche, and some Venezuelan holiday dishes (hallacas and pan de jamon). Joining her will be 25 friends & family, including her sister who flew in from Frankfurt, her brothers will skype from Venezuela. Mariachi's will come by at 9 to serenade her.

Last edited:
Today would have been my parents' 60th wedding anniversary, if they were still alive. So I will raise a glass and toast them, and remember some of the celebrations of years past.

We are having a large family party (no different than any other weekend). We start having drinks and watching the sunset over the Pacific. We will have dinner at around 11pm and then drinking and dancing till dawn , when we watch the sunrise over the Andes. We have several traditions here:
1. All the girls wear yellow thongs and make sure every guy in the room is aware.
2. At Midnight we toast with champagne and you must eat 12 grapes (same as Spain).
3. If you wish to travel (in the new year) you must walk around the block 3 times (at midnight) carrying your luggage!
4. Fire works! They start at midnight on Christmas eve and continue every night till the finale tonight.
5. We have lentils every Monday for lunch (year round) as it is supposed to bring luck.

Don't go out anymore because it is amateur hour on the road. We do have a couple that will come over. Wife is serving a honey baked ham and scalloped potatoes. We'll start off with a martini and I'll coast from there with a couple of cold ones and toast the new year. Party will be over when xmas tree lights go off at 12:15.

We are having a large family party (no different than any other weekend). We start having drinks and watching the sunset over the Pacific. We will have dinner at around 11pm and then drinking and dancing till dawn , when we watch the sunrise over the Andes. We have several traditions here:
1. All the girls wear yellow thongs and make sure every guy in the room is aware.
2. At Midnight we toast with champagne and you must eat 12 grapes (same as Spain).
3. If you wish to travel (in the new year) you must walk around the block 3 times (at midnight) carrying your luggage!
4. Fire works! They start at midnight on Christmas eve and continue every night till the finale tonight.
5. We have lentils every Monday for lunch (year round) as it is supposed to bring luck.
WOW, now that sounds like fun.

Enjoying a quiet night in with DH. Going to try making 2 new dishes - curried sweet potato soup and chicken piccata. Will have a little wine, watch the festivities on t.v., and ring in 2012 hoping for health and happiness. No matter what happens, I'm always happy as long as I have my DH! :smitten:

Enjoying a quiet night in with DH. Going to try making 2 new dishes - curried sweet potato soup and chicken piccata. Will have a little wine, watch the festivities on t.v., and ring in 2012 hoping for health and happiness. No matter what happens, I'm always happy as long as I have my DH! :smitten:
I think I speak for everyone here SG, that we wish you health and happiness as well. Hoping 2012 to be a year of successful recovery for you. :flowers:

Been married to my dear wife for 26 years now. It is nice to be in love isn't it.

I can't get this picture out of my head. Does this go on all over town?

I can't get this picture out of my head. Does this go on all over town?

Actually it is a tradition around the country. The street vendors set up their stalls around thanksgiving (nothing but yellow thongs) to make sure every young girl has time to make the money to buy a pair. I think it has something to do with the Catholic Church (Peru is 99% catholic), because you always hear the guys saying "Thank you Jesus" when they crank up the reggaeton!

Gotta go as the sun is setting as I write and there are guests on the Terraza!

Happy New year all!

I couldn't agree more - last thing I want is to find myself sharing the road with anyone who might be both drunk and texting behind the wheel! :nonono:

We feel the same way. The drunk texters are already out in force in New Orleans. We don't drink, and I am hypersensitive to the smoke and noise of fireworks (especially when I am congested with a bad cold like this one). Our plans for tonight are to stay home and leave the roads to those who dare brave them. I hope everyone has a Happy New Year! :dance:

simple girl said:

+3

Back
Top Bottom