Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-29-2011, 02:09 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks to all who responded here. I found a pretty large hole in the eave and called a control service who are coming out this pm to inspect. Whatever it is chewed thru the eave as we have bits and pieces of the eave and installation on the roof which means it is a recently made hole. Based on when we hear the noises (early am), the expert mentioned it is probably squirrels.

Will keep ya all posted.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2011, 03:07 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
We are dealing with a skunk family who moved in under our house a few months ago. In the past few weeks we have managed to trap 3 of the youngsters and we think from original sightings we may have two more youngsters and mama skunk to go.

I am feeling a bit like Davy Crockett, I bound out of bed every morning at 7.00 a.m. in my pj's to creep up on the traps to see if we have caught anything.

Our number one reason for trying to get rid of these pests is because they spend all night running up and down on the other side of the wall where we rest the head. It makes for a noisy and restless night's sleep.
If you've avoided "that special something" that skunks provide, you must be doing something right.
Davy must be smiling down at you..

Old 08-29-2011, 05:12 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Just this afternoon, I saw a bit of a PBS program about a lady that raises skunks. She said that skunks particularly do not not like the bass portion of music. To get rid of skunks hanging around in the yard she suggested playing bass music for a few nights and they will move on. Maybe it works, but I like the trapping idea better. Besides, the music might attract teenagers, another pest that will eat you out of house and home.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:45 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse
We are dealing with a skunk family who moved in under our house a few months ago. In the past few weeks we have managed to trap 3 of the youngsters and we think from original sightings we may have two more youngsters and mama skunk to go.

I am feeling a bit like Davy Crockett, I bound out of bed every morning at 7.00 a.m. in my pj's to creep up on the traps to see if we have caught anything.

Our number one reason for trying to get rid of these pests is because they spend all night running up and down on the other side of the wall where we rest the head. It makes for a noisy and restless night's sleep.
A few weeks ago, I was about to scrape and paint my front windows and got about 2 feet from a skunk trying to make a new home between 2 small crates of firewood. I tossed 4-6 mothballs right around him and left the whole box within 1 ft of the skunk. I walked away and the skunk left about 3 minutes later and hasn't returned.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:59 PM   #25

I call our exterminator who sets the traps in the attic and puts bait boxes outside the house. He will will generally keep the bait boxes there for 6 months or until there are not bites at the bait. We have had the problem 2 or 3 time in 25 years.

I have lived in this house about 25 years and I know the attic well, however, I also know that my crawl space days are over.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:11 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
Thanks to all who responded here. I found a pretty large hole in the eave and called a control service who are coming out this pm to inspect. Whatever it is chewed thru the eave as we have bits and pieces of the eave and installation on the roof which means it is a recently made hole. Based on when we hear the noises (early am), the expert mentioned it is probably squirrels.

Will keep ya all posted.
Ah..squirrels probably..that's good.

Hopefully, not something like this:

Capybara: Rodent Sighted in California; 'Chupacabra' Pictures From Maryland - ABC News
Old 08-29-2011, 08:09 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

OMG! I wish I hadn't read this thread tonight. Has given me the creeps, and my brother is working and won't be home till the morning. I don't know how you all can talk about rodents, bugs, lions, tigers and bears so calmly and matter of factly... Geez, they are right in your house! Now if I hear anything going bump in the night or scratchy scratchy, I will end up probably fleeing from the house screaming. I really don't like making a spectacle of myself...
Old 08-29-2011, 08:19 PM   #28
Administrator

Mothballs in the attic have solved the problem for us.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:29 PM   #29

Well, the expert just left our house. He found racoon fur and droppings on our roof. He went ahead and set a trap up against the hole in the eave. He baited it with a combo of fish oil and cat food. Must be a racoon cavier!

Hopefully, we'll have a trapped racoon by tomoorow a.m. Apparently, it will be euthanized upon capture.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:45 PM   #30

Well we got ourselves a big racoon in a trap!
Old 08-29-2011, 08:45 PM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

That was quick...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:48 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow. Good you had a pro for that. Don't want to confront or corner a raccoon on your own.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:53 PM   #33

Hopefully, it's only one critter we need to deal with. It was definitely quick. Fish oil/cat food must be the ticket!
Old 08-29-2011, 08:53 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromit View Post
She said that skunks particularly do not not like the bass portion of music. To get rid of skunks hanging around in the yard she suggested playing bass music for a few nights and they will move on. Maybe it works, but I like the trapping idea better. Besides, the music might attract teenagers, another pest that will eat you out of house and home.
Judging from my experience, Deep Purple and Iron Butterfly are unfortunately at least as effective against teenagers as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimsumkid View Post
I tossed 4-6 mothballs right around him and left the whole box within 1 ft of the skunk. I walked away and the skunk left about 3 minutes later and hasn't returned.
I'm amazed that a skunk could be driven off by a noxious odor.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:03 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I'm amazed that a skunk could be driven off by a noxious odor.
Just a few days ago, a rabbit came along and decided to check out my mothballs, I couldn't see everything he did, but he either tried to taste a mothball or tried to chew the almost full mothball box! Not sure why he wasn't bothered by the stench as he hung around sniffing them for a good 5 minutes.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:10 PM   #36

Quote:
Well we got ourselves a big racoon in a trap!
Way to go! Good thing you didn't send the yorky. Did the trapper say if it was female? You will want to seal the hole in the eave but not until you're sure there are no more critters.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:20 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Way to go! Good thing you didn't send the yorky. Did the trapper say if it was female? You will want to seal the hole in the eave but not until you're sure there are no more critters.
The raccoon was caught around 8:30 so it was already nightfall. The critter will have to cool it jets until tomorrow am when the trapper comes back. Could be a loud evening on our roof!
Old 08-29-2011, 09:27 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The critter will have to cool it jets until tomorrow am when the trapper comes back. Could be a loud evening on our roof!
And an epically fecal one as well...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:47 PM   #39

Quote:
The raccoon was caught around 8:30 so it was already nightfall. The critter will have to cool it jets until tomorrow am when the trapper comes back. Could be a loud evening on our roof!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
And an epically fecal one as well...
Better on the roof than in the attic. Easier to sleep tonight and clean tomorrow.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:41 PM   #40

The other thing to get rid of skunks is apparently ammonia and they do not like the smell of coffee so put out empty coffee cans.

We were hoping to be able to eliminate Big Momma skunk before we put out the deterrents but if we don't trap her soon that will be our Plan B.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote