Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-03-2011, 12:42 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I use live traps with tuna fish for bait on the skunks and racoons. For mice and rats the Rat Zapper Ultra with dried pet food is excellent. The Rat Zapper electrocutes them and sets off a flashing light to indicate you got a kill.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2011, 01:54 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We have been hearing noises . It is probably a squirrel . We are having a company come in to take care of it but in the meantime I heard noise is a deterrent so I'm blasting the oldies station . Not sure if the squirrel is still here as I'm dancing around the house .

Old 10-18-2011, 09:59 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Old 10-18-2011, 12:53 PM   #64

The first place of my own was an older three story walkup condo. I was on the top floor and getting those noises and fighting sounds coming from overhead late at night. Turned out to be racoons and I believe they trapped something like 20 of the little buggers. At times, I thought they were going to come through the ceiling
Old 10-18-2011, 01:01 PM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

Between hiring the trapper and getting the eave repaired, it cost us about $1,000 total. We ended up with 2 racoons in the crawl space and a third one which was stupid enough to get trapped when the trap was in our backyard.

Also, the trapper did an inspection and mentioned the critters were not in the house for an extended period of time given the amount of you know what he cleaned up.

Good news - no noise upstairs!

Golfnut
Old 10-18-2011, 11:15 PM   #66

The latest catch by my Rat Zapper was a weasel. First one I have ever seen in our area.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:04 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

We did have a squirrel in our attic but unfortunately he died an untimely death in the wall behind our bedroom .The smell was beyond awful but it is getting better . We still had the Trapper come to make sure he didn't have any heirs . Luckily he was a bachelor so the entry is sealed and hopefully that concludes our wild life fun .
Old 10-23-2011, 10:38 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

One of the guys I was camping with last weekend moved into a new house 2 years ago. Turns out they had an attic infestation too. Sugar gliders! The previous owners had them as pets and a pregnant female escaped. Took quite a while to get them all out, since they didn't want to poison them or anything.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:04 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

This thread reminded me to set my mouse traps. Field mice will be looking for their winter condo in my garage. I hate to kill the cute little buggers, but the thought of an unchecked infestation is even worse.
I'll ask Mr B to empty the traps.
His solution will be to toss it, mouse corpse and all. I guess I better stock up on extra traps.

UPDATE: I just found a bulk pack (72) of the classic Victor metal spring traps, with free shipping. No shelf life on these things. I catch on average 12 mice per year. No more emptying traps, i.e. getting grossed out by bug eyed dead meeces.

FYI : http://www.amazon.com/WOODSTREAM-Vic...9481266&sr=8-2
Old 10-24-2011, 01:24 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
This thread reminded me to set my mouse traps. Field mice will be looking for their winter condo in my garage. I hate to kill the cute little buggers, but the thought of an unchecked infestation is even worse.
I'll ask Mr B to empty the traps.
His solution will be to toss it, mouse corpse and all. I guess I better stock up on extra traps.
About 20 years ago a brother who lives next door to me was having some problems with mice. however, he could bring himself to disposing of the dead mice. He would bribe my daughter (under 10 at the time) with candy bars to empty and reset the traps for him.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:24 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
UPDATE: I just found a bulk pack (72) of the classic Victor metal spring traps, with free shipping. No shelf life on these things. I catch on average 12 mice per year. No more emptying traps, i.e. getting grossed out by bug eyed dead meeces.
With 72 traps, you could try setting them all at once, and hopefully you would have better results than in the mousetrap scene in the movie "Mouse Hunt".

Old 10-24-2011, 07:00 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Everyone I talk to swears by using Bounce sheets as a mouse deterrent. I've been using them in my trailer for 2 years and have been mouseless, but that could also be because I plugged a hole they were using as a gateway to my kitchen.

Still - the Bounce sheets smell nice.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:26 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromit View Post
With 72 traps, you could try setting them all at once, and hopefully you would have better results than in the mousetrap scene in the movie "Mouse Hunt".
Now don't be giving me ideas about how to entertain myself on a long winter blizzard night while Mr B is at class.

Great comeback video clip.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:31 PM   #74
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuiloa View Post
Everyone I talk to swears by using Bounce sheets as a mouse deterrent. I've been using them in my trailer for 2 years and have been mouseless, but that could also be because I plugged a hole they were using as a gateway to my kitchen.
I promise you that plugging the entryway is the reason for your success. I tried the other option and ended up with an RV inhabited by nice smelling mice...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:43 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I promise you that plugging the entryway is the reason for your success. I tried the other option and ended up with an RV inhabited by nice smelling mice...

Could be worse. I was also told that Bay leaves work, so one year I put 4 pounds of bay leaves (do you know how many bay leaves that is!?) in the trailer. Turns out mice love bay leaves. And the trailer smelled like spaghetti sauce all summer.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:14 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
We did have a squirrel in our attic but unfortunately he died an untimely death in the wall behind our bedroom .The smell was beyond awful but it is getting better . We still had the Trapper come to make sure he didn't have any heirs . Luckily he was a bachelor so the entry is sealed and hopefully that concludes our wild life fun .
We had the same issue, got thru it by burning a lot of smelly candles which DH detested but as I told him ginger-gardenia candles are preferable to eau du dead squirrel.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:29 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuiloa

They work just as well if you cut them in half.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:42 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuiloa View Post

Recycle dryer sheets.