Join Early Retirement Today

GPS battery replacement
Old 11-02-2012, 02:51 PM   #1

GPS battery replacement

Thought I'd share a tip with everyone.
I have a Garmin Nuvi 1490 GPS for the car with lifetime maps and traffic updates. Bought it nearly two years ago, and I love it -- very easy to use.

I occasionally use it while walking in an unfamiliar city, and it works very well in that mode too. But on a recent trip, I found that its battery would only last about half an hour, which annoyed me greatly for a battery less than two years old. The unit is sealed, with no obvious way to replace the battery, compounding my annoyance.

So I went online and immediately found a YouTube video showing exactly how to open it up and replace the battery. Drove over to my nearby Batteries Plus store and got a replacement battery (complete with the special case opener tool and tiny Torx screwdriver needed) for $20.

Went home and did the replacement in about five minutes and it's working great. But here's the kicker: the replacement battery is twice the capacity of the original Garmin battery (2.5 amp-hours instead of 1.25). Should last a lot longer now.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2012, 06:51 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I went through a similar situation with my Garmin (nuvi 260) several months ago. The Garmin battery got down to only lasting about 10 minutes at best. Now with the replacement battery, I can go for hours before the level drops down.

I think it's kind of a racket that the manufactures have the units sealed so one can't just easily pop a battery out and change it.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:30 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I think it's kind of a racket that the manufactures have the units sealed so one can't just easily pop a battery out and change it.
I have issues with common 'wear' items being sealed, but sometimes there is a functional reason behind it.

In devices where small is a big selling point, adding a door and a connector and wires and packaging around the battery can add significantly to the size and/or reduce the strength of the unit. Any discontinuity in the structure will require more material to 'beef up' that section.

That said, I don't like it. I think it is an environmental nightmare, and a hit to the pocket-book. More people will just toss the device if the cost of replacing the battery is high.

I like how the EU made the sensible decision to push cell phones to a common charger design (through USB) so people don't toss their charger with each new phone. I think we could use some regulation here to avoid pushing this sealed battery problem onto the consumer. Maybe mfgs should have to provide free battery replacement for life if it isn't user-serviceable? After all, the mfg got the selling advantage of a small, light unit - let them decide if it is worth it. If they make good batteries, there shouldn't be that many replacements needed. I don't think it would really be that burdensome to the mfg, but the environment could win, I think.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:05 AM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

Agree on the crime of planned obsolescence.
Since I'm a bit of an electronic "toy" nut, the subject of batteries is a big issue. First of all, the Google search is a best friend. "How to" videos for almost everything. I find that a strong sharp knife works and that there's usually a way to split the case when there are no screws. MP3 players, my hiking GPS from 1999, and most recently my off brand digital camera.

Here's an interesting adventure in buying re: my camera. Putting in the model number and "battery" brought up 7 online battery sites with the correct battery. (on the first page). The prices ranged from $34 on the first site, to $13.95 with $8 shipping and more like that. After going to the second page of Google results, I found the exact same battery, in a "free shipping" site for $4.06.

Back to "planned obsolescence" for just a minute... Since I am very frugal, the idea of paying for ink cartridges is particularly annoying. Most of the newer cartridges have a usage chip that causes the cartridge to read empty. Depending on the manufacturer, (in most cases) this can be bypassed with either an inexpensive "resetting" tool, or by doing a bit complicated sequence of taping over terminals on the cartridge to reset. I usually get 3 to 4 refills using this method.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:08 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

I like how the EU made the sensible decision to push cell phones to a common charger design (through USB) so people don't toss their charger with each new phone.
+1

One of my pet peeves is how many charges I have to lug around when I travel for various devices. I can understand radically different devices needing different chargers, but when I have three devices all charged via USB port type system, why should I need three chargers, three cords, etc?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, gps