Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-26-2011, 11:10 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I have a Garmin 1490, with lifetime traffic updates. I love, it blows away the in-dash unit on our Odyssey. It even tracks mileage, tracks your driving habits, gives gas mileage estimates, plots nearby restaurants and gas stations on the road, etc. GREAT tool!!
That's a nice unit. We have a Garmin 680 - an earlier generation - and I like it. Too bad I can't get the new one.

Oh, wait. I can - 'cause its not built in. The price point is getting so low that new units are now less than 2X map upgrades.

It's clear there is going to be lots of functionality added to GPS units. These should be viewed like VRCs in the 70's and computers in the 90's: early functional obsolescence and lots of upgrading.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2011, 01:16 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Question folks. Costco in store offering is Garmin 1490T which doesn't have any map upgrades after 6 mo. On their website is a 1450LM with lifetime map upgrades.

When I scroll through the 1450LM reviews there are comments about bad (or less than optimal) routing and insistent voice directions that don't make sense.

What would you choose and are the issues with the 1450 likely to be the same with the 1490?

Old 05-28-2011, 02:56 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Question folks. Costco in store offering is Garmin 1490T which doesn't have any map upgrades after 6 mo. On their website is a 1450LM with lifetime map upgrades.

When I scroll through the 1450LM reviews there are comments about bad (or less than optimal) routing and insistent voice directions that don't make sense.

What would you choose and are the issues with the 1450 likely to be the same with the 1490?
I'd take a look at reviews on Amazon to see if you could get some more specifics on what people see as problems with the 1450LM. The lifetime maps sounds like a great feature to have on the unit.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:54 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Lately there have been several cases in which GPS has led people astray when they have placed too much faith in it.

B.C. woman blames GPS for getting couple lost - World - CBC News

They never found the husband....

That said, I am considering a GPS in my next car. But as already noted, it would be just part of the electronics.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:07 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

I have a Tom Tom that was a birthday present from my SO a few years ago . I use it when I go on my exploring trips or when I travel & rent cars . I considered going for a in dash one on my CRV but that package came with heated seats so I passed on it .
Old 05-28-2011, 09:53 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

I suspected that was the problem with the B.C. couple. There was a family who ended up on a rural road when crossing the Coast Range in Oregon a year or so ago where I suspect the same thing happened. Unfortunately drivers unfamiliar with an area can put too much faith in these tools. I anticipate a discussion with my husband in September about a route through Death Valley.

The difference between the 1490 and the 1450 seems to be Bluetooth. We wouldn't need Bluetooth so I will opt for the lifetime maps offering.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:52 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

External - I like to see the display, it can get really complicated in a city with multiple highways running through the city or for that matter traffic circles. We have a TomTom and I suspect that the cheapness of the external GPS systems only allows them to put a very basic mapping system on which is probably accurate to within 150 feet or so. This simply does not hack it in a city.

Last year we went to Italy and I downloaded the Italian map and downloaded the updated map for North America and it has been faultless since then. Before that it had me driving about 150ft away from the road at times. The Italian GPS map was excellent.

The first GPS (External) we bought was a Magellan and it cost $1000 and the Tomtom about $140, so the difference in price, in my opinion, would influence the quality of the map accuracy. I have an internal GPS in the Ford but still prefer the external unit. DW is a very capable person but navigating makes her very nervous and the external GPS (Maggie) was a Godsend.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:45 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

I was an external GPS person, but ended up with a built-in for my CRV two years ago. There are advantages to both. I certainly liked the portability of the external.

However, the built-in has a much bigger screen, which is really nice. It does not block the windshield which is very nice. It does not need to wait for GPS signals to locate itself when you start the car, because it remembers where it was when you stopped the car. That is especially useful in locations without a clear view of the sky, or when you need to know immediately after starting the car which way to turn. Many built-in units can also perform dead-reckoning based on your speed as indicated by the speedometer and direction as indicated by an internal compass. Again very useful when you do not have a clear view of the sky, such as driving through tunnels. It is always there and ready to go within about 30 seconds, which is occasionally very useful. As a built-in model, I don't have to hide the GPS, deal with wires, worry about it flying around the car like a projectile during an accident, or clean suction cup ring marks off the windshield.

On the other hand, by the time I sell the car I'm sure the latest GPS units will have some definite advantages over my current unit, such as better voice recognition. I also dread losing all my car's waypoints. The ability to easily backup and restore waypoints when using an external GPS is definitely a great feature.

The main thing I hate about the CRV's GPS is that it will not accept or report latitude/longitude coordinates. However, lots of external GPS units have the same annoying limitation. The main thing my wife hates is that the CRV's GPS only speaks numeric street/highway names. Her external GPS tries to pronounce all street names. I rarely miss that, as I was too cheap to pay for that feature when I bought my old external GPS.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:50 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

I forgot to mention. The best part of the built-in GPS is that it includes a backup camera. That is a luxury that I didn't value highly before I experienced it, but now really love.

Another hedonic lifestyle adjustment to further postpone retirement.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:50 PM   #50
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamsphd View Post
I forgot to mention. The best part of the built-in GPS is that it includes a backup camera. That is a luxury that I didn't value highly before I experienced it, but now really love.

Another hedonic lifestyle adjustment to further postpone retirement.
I don't have a GPS in my Venza, but it does have a backup camera. I still don't trust it, but use it anyway as a doublecheck (don't want to run over any neighborhood kiddies or pets).

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:00 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

The built in Navi in my wife's Acura MDX and my Lexus LS460 are WAY better than our two handheld Garmins. Faster processor and better (larger, brighter) screens.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:38 AM   #52
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We had our external Garmin unit stolen. Now we use DWs iphone with NAVAGON, it was $39 and works well but relies on phone links not satellite so may not work as well in remote areas, it is fine in Los Angeles.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:08 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

The 1490 Garmin has gotten better reviews than the 1450 LM. I am happy, and will gladly spend $40 on updated maps every other year or so. The updates on my Odyssey cost $150, and I can buy a new GPS for that!!!

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:20 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

The #1 reason I'd rather have an external is the portability when I'm not driving my own car. I can carry my gps brain with me from car to car. Yet, the cons are that the portability, a pro can become a con too (theives, external cords to untangle).