Join Early Retirement Today

GPS Surgery - new battery?
Old 03-30-2012, 03:33 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

GPS Surgery - new battery?

One pet peeve is that the battery of my GPS pretty much isn't portable anymore. That is, one time, after a charge it would last about 5 hrs on battery power. Now if lucky, it lasts 45 minutes.

Why couldn't the manufacturers of GPSes make the batteries easy to change like cell phones as the lack of battery power over time seems like a common issue.

So now I'm debating, do I try to roll up my sleeves and get a battery kit? Or chicken out?

It would be nice to have a portable GPS again. Yet if I mess things up, I might have to go GPS shopping soon, which I really don't wish to do.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2012, 04:28 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Aw, come on! All the steps are spelled out for you already. This is simple, compared to dissecting a laptop to replace internal parts, which one can also do by carefully following instructions on the Web.

Eventually, with some practice, you may even graduate to self-operation for appendicitis.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:40 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Garmin's outdoor GPS devices use regular AA cells. You can use alkaline batteries or NiMH rechargeables, and carry as many spares as you need. I guess that marketing determined that for car GPS systems, a nice, small, flat unit sells better, and people don't plan ahead. This model seems to work pretty well for Apple, who make pretty expensive devices with non-replaceable batteries; somehow they've made their products so desirable that people tend to replace the entire unit with the newest version before the battery lifetime sucks too badly. Genius marketing (I own no Apple products).
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:52 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Well, I took the bait and ordered:

Amazon.com: Battery Replacement Kit for Garmin Nuvi 260 with Installation Video, Tools, and Extended Life Battery.: Electronics

Soon, either I'll feel like a champ and successfully replace the battery or feel like a clutz and mess things up.

Since I'll be driving like mad in May/June, I want an adequately equipped GPS.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:10 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

All right, good for you!

My superior memory tells me that you are in a dry climate that caused you to zap your laptop once before with static, through the USB port where the mouse was attached.

Am I impressing anyone here with my memory?

So, you would want to take precaution before poking around that GPS with its tender guts totally exposed.

When I do not feel like wearing a wrist-strap to bleed static electricity, I would just take my work out to the back yard patio. There, I sat with my bare feet planted on the concrete floor, and my body and earth become one. I also put the work on a static-free surface like a wood table. No static for me!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:41 PM   #6

I have replaced mine. It's not that hard. And before you know it you will be working on your friend's GPS's, too.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:37 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
I have replaced mine. It's not that hard. And before you know it you will be working on your friend's GPS's, too.
That's good to know. Did you buy the same kit with the included tools?
Old 03-31-2012, 06:04 AM   #8

No, I did not. I looked at the UTube video. Then went to one of those battery stores and got the battery and did it myself with my own tools. About like changing a watch battery.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:17 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Thanks. I got the kit anyhow. It should arrive in a few days. Looking forward to the "surgery" on my gps
Old 03-31-2012, 11:33 AM   #10

And now onto the next Utube for pacemaker batteries...
Old 04-01-2012, 09:22 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

The battery is on it's way. I got a tracking number sent via USPS. One thing I noticed, looks like the post office made some improvements as updates seem more frequent and it even tells me an expected day of arrival.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:51 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
The battery is on it's way. I got a tracking number sent via USPS. One thing I noticed, looks like the post office made some improvements as updates seem more frequent and it even tells me an expected day of arrival.
I have heard that the mail carriers have so little to do, that they can drop in for a cup of coffee and do the battery swap for ya!

Just kidding.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:58 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
I have heard that the mail carriers have so little to do, that they can drop in for a cup of coffee and do the battery swap for ya!

Just kidding.
That's funny . I like that.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:24 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I had Sharc . net (put the words together for the correct site address) repair a Nuvi 350 for me. Found him to be reliable and not expensive. You might consider that option.

Rich
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:15 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Rich,

Thanks for the tip. I went to the website (SHARCNET-USA: Out-of-Warranty GPS & Digital Camera Repair Center) and the place looks pretty nice. The rate for battery replacement is very reasonable (much less than another place I was looking at). My new battery is already on the way and I'm gonna try and replace it myself, but the tip you gave me is a bookmark to keep in my favorites for the future.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:01 PM   #16

And I was just about to send my Garmin w/ bad battery to the e-waste bin . Just ordered a new battery on line under $30.
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:13 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I like this page from the url that Rich gave:

SHARCNET-USA: Out-of-Warranty GPS &amp Digital Camera Repair

Scroll down and see the before/after of the case repair.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:14 AM   #18

Quote:
I like this page from the url that Rich gave:

SHARCNET-USA: Out-of-Warranty GPS &amp Digital Camera Repair

Scroll down and see the before/after of the case repair.

easysurfer,

From the video you included in your initial post, the GPS's clamshell case is held together by 2 [hidden] screws that are covered-up by a long narrow label.

Anyone who is unaware of these screws would naturally attempt to separate the 2 halves of the case by prying them apart along the groove which occurs at the split between the 2 halves. That is how that very graphic case damage occurred.

It's almost a scare tactic.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:49 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
easysurfer,

From the video you included in your initial post, the GPS's clamshell case is held together by 2 [hidden] screws that are covered-up by a long narrow label.

Anyone who is unaware of these screws would naturally attempt to separate the 2 halves of the case by prying them apart along the groove which occurs at the split between the 2 halves. That is how that very graphic case damage occurred.

It's almost a scare tactic.

omni
True. For those who take a step back and look at the video, it'll be no problem. I took it as self-advertising, the before and after pictures.

My new battery should be here tomorrow!
Old 04-02-2012, 10:56 AM   #20

Quote:
True. For those who take a step back and look at the video, it'll be no problem. I took it as self-advertising, the before and after pictures.

My new battery should be here tomorrow!
Awesome.

You'll do great with swapping-out the battery!

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote