Graduation gifts...current thoughts?

HarveyS

Full time employment: Posting here.
I have been invited to a college graduation party. What is the appropriate gift these days?
While I'm here, what about HS graduation gifts?

Thanks for your thoughts.

We chose to be in the $50-100 range. As all of our nieces and nephews are graduated, it probably will go up for the next generation--my plan is to still be here in 20 years!

We chose to be in the $50-100 range. As all of our nieces and nephews are graduated, it probably will go up for the next generation--my plan is to still be here in 20 years!

Whatever you comfortable with, but $50-$100 is a good number. I’d go more the closer the relative is too me on the family tree. Grandkids don’t count as they’ll get a lot more.

I have been invited to a college graduation party. What is the appropriate gift these days?

Seems to me that the type of gift (or the amount of cash) would depend on your relationship with the graduate. Is this your niece... nephew... son or daughter of a friend... grandkid...etc.?

I have given my niece and nephew $250 in cash in recent years for their high school graduations. I'll probably give a bit more for college — maybe as much as $500. I don't have kids of my own, so my siblings' kids get bigger gifts.

I've finally come to a steady, worry free gift plan for 5 nieces and nephews. Birthdays and Christmas $50: Graduation: $200: Wedding: $500. I'm done worrying about this. Besides they're in my will.

Amazon gift card. Even better than cash :cool:.

Our gifts are based on what we can afford, with additional as we see fit.We are generous towards our nieces, nephews, and select friends of our kids who have gone "above and beyond" in terms of being friendly towards us old folks :).

For HS graduations for this "upper tier", we give $250. For college graduations, we give $500. Weddings, $1000.

If we do not have that close a relationship with the kid (e.g. if we were not friends with the parents we could not pick the kid out of a lineup), we will give $25 for high school graduation, $50 for college, and $200 for the wedding.

There are a few that due to circumstances fall in between those ranges.

$50 for a friend's child, $100 for a relative, $500+ for your own child.

Back
Top Bottom