Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Grandmother Died..........
Old 11-26-2007, 01:20 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Grandmother Died..........

She just turned 97 last month. Her health was declining over the past 5 years, but she always toughed it out.......

I will miss her. One of her claims to fame was being a star student at the Wisconsin Conservatory of Music. She was a fantastic opera singer, and at her first recital at the Performing Arts Center, she was accompanied by a close friend........LIBERACE............

Peace, "Grammy"...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2007, 01:24 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
She just turned 97 last month. Her health was declining over the past 5 years, but she always toughed it out.......

I will miss her. One of her claims to fame was being a star student at the Wisconsin Conservatory of Music. She was a fantastic opera singer, and at her first recital at the Performing Arts Center, she was accompanied by a close friend........LIBERACE............

Sorry, Dude. She must have had an intersting life, and it sure lasted a nice long time.

Ha
Old 11-26-2007, 01:29 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry, FD. Grandparents are special. Sounds like she got her money's worth out of life.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 01:31 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Truly sorry for your loss, FD.

For a minute there I thought you were going to tell us your grammy rejected Liberace and turned him against women forever...
Old 11-26-2007, 01:37 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Sorry, FD. Grandparents are special. Sounds like she got her money's worth out of life.
Yeah, she lived life to the fullest. I'll share one story: My sister and I drove together for Thanksgiving at her house a couple years ago. My sister had recently visited the museum they set up with the artifacts from the Titianic. My sister went "on and on" about the museum, shared facts about the Titanic, etc. All my Grandma did was nod and sip her wine, and when my sister stopped to take a breath, "Grammy" chimed in:

That's wonderful Susie. I remember one morning when I was a very little girl. I came into the kitchen and saw my mom crying. When I asked her what was the matter, she said: "This big boat called the Titanic SANK last night, and many people died"............"

You could hear a pin drop in the room. Being that she would have only been 18 months old at the time, we were a little skeptical, but noone was going to question that sweet little lady about the authenticity of her story..........

The best part? My sister yelling at me for not telling her to shut up. I told her I wasn't the "right person" to tell her to shut up...........

Old 11-26-2007, 01:38 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I am sorry for your loss. Even though she lived a long and good life, I know is difficult to say the final goodbye. Grandmother's are special, and she must have been quite a woman! Keep those great memories alive!
TexasGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 01:59 PM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

So sorry for your loss !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 02:12 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm sorry to hear. Peace be with her.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:48 PM   #9

Sorry for your loss FD.
WanderALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 02:51 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Like everybody else has said... sorry for the loss...

But also, since everyone has to go sometime at least she had a long one and sounds like a good one.
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 03:00 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sorry to hear of your loss. May you live at least as long and as fully as she did.
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 03:00 PM   #12

playing with liberace even on stage yet, huh? sounds like granny provided you with a great example of how to have a fun life. may you do the same for your grandkids.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 03:27 PM   #13

Sorry FD, hope you live as long.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:19 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post

Wow, she must have been a good opera singer. What age did she stop singing?
Old 11-26-2007, 06:26 PM   #15

Very sorry about your grandmother. Mine are long gone and I truly do miss them all. I'm also down to just one parent, my mom. She's 77, closing in on 78 and I know I won't have her a whole lot longer. Best wishes to you.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 06:59 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I'll be thinking about you and your family. Grandparents are so special...I sure miss mine.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:01 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Wow, she must have been a good opera singer. What age did she stop singing?
Actually, never. She was the choral director to a community chorus until she was 82 years old. She did recitals into her 60's.

I used to go to church with her often. When she sang the hymns, people around her would stop singing to listen..........

Old 11-27-2007, 08:27 PM   #18

FD, I am so sorry for your loss. I am so glad that you had a good and close relationship with her....I miss my grandma in India.
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:30 AM   #19

Sorry for your loss, FD.
kaudrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:44 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Thanks to all...............

In the last 19 months, I've lost my FIL, my sister and my last grandmother........

I'm pretty sick of funerals these days........