Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-09-2009, 07:00 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
What kind of diligence? We put in granite counter tops about 10 years ago and they still look like new. Do I need to treat them with something or take other maintenance steps?
Same here, after 7 years with granite counter tops that were probably put in about 10 years ago. Once I thought they were looking less shiny than they did, so I spent 10 minutes applying some "granite resealer and cleaner" from Home Depot and they got back their old shine. I don't really see why I would want to do anything else as long as they remain as shiny and gorgeous as new. Anything more is overkill, IMO.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2009, 07:02 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quartz here. Never had any problem. It also has some sort of anti-microbial thing built in. That may be more advertising hype than useful product. It still looks like granite but tougher.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:14 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
Check here: Granite Countertop Maintenance - LoveToKnow Home Improvement

Perhaps yours don't need it but sounds like many (most?) require an annual (or so) resealing.........or perhaps you're extra careful w/ spills.
From the article:
Quote:
Before you reseal your granite countertops, check with the manufacturer or installer to be sure it is necessary. Most granite counters do need to be re-sealed on an annual basis, but not all of them require this.
Not sure what to make of this since mine have stayed fine for 10 years. I guess I will just wait until I see some problems and then reseal.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:15 AM   #24

When we were remodeling our kitchen a few years ago, we went with quartz. The main reasons were two. The granite, though tough, is a bit more porous than the quartz was so it required sealing (and presumable future maintenance). The quartz allowed us to select a color and order, whereas the granite would have required us to go to the store and select the slabs, because of the natural variations in color. Minor reasons included, the quartz, from what I've heard, is a bit harder than granite so it should not break as easily. That made sense, since the quartz was essentially small bits held together by an epoxy. We couldn't find granite in the color we wanted, but we did with the quartz. Quartz was a bit cheaper, and most people couldn't tell the difference between quartz and granite.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:39 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
From the article:
Not sure what to make of this since mine have stayed fine for 10 years. I guess I will just wait until I see some problems and then reseal.
That's what I am doing. The resealer is pricey, and I don't really see any need for it if the countertop still looks like new. Somebody is making a lot of money off of it, though.

Also, I have read that you aren't supposed to use Windex on granite countertops. I use it anyway. Maybe that is why, after about 7 years, my countertop needed 5-10 minutes wiping on a resealer/cleaner. It's possible that the "cleaner" part was what restored the shine.

At any rate, I would say that granite countertops are maintenance free.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:06 AM   #26

I watch quite a bit of HGTV, and see many are using concrete that has been stained. Much cheaper than other tops I understand, and looked great to me.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:24 AM   #27
gone traveling

GRANITE ! Quartz looks and performs like imitation granite- might as well go with the real deal, IMO.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:36 AM   #28
Administrator

Check out the Kitchen/bathroom publication from consumer reports. There is a detailed comparison there between surfaces. After reading this and doing some shopping, we did granite as well - in fact our redo is just nearing an end. The counter tops went in a couple of weeks ago.

For us, the visual impact made the difference. The composite quartz was too consistent a surface - we wanted to see the variations of granite.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:12 AM   #29
Administrator

It seems granite is the preferred finish around here. We talked about the resale aspect - never seen an ad for "quartz countertops" - but are still undecided.

Our kitchen currently has black granite (ugh) with multiple stains (that were cleverly covered when we bought) which cannot be remedied and seriously irritate DW. It show even the slightest stain or water residue. As expected, anything that bothers her really bothers me and I am highly motivated to make this change. We have to cut the current granite regardless because we need to replace a broken, non-standard cooktop, so it's the right moment.

What worries us the most is the fact that granite stains. I know - sealant, once a year, etc and it'll never happen. This is like investing - it's not the probability of a market decline, it's the consequence. If I stain the countertop it'll be like relocating to hades or living though a twenty year pestilence.

We're going to checkout a few stores today, just to look, touch, and ask - mostly about care and maintenance.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:45 AM   #30
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
For us, the visual impact made the difference. The composite quartz was too consistent a surface - we wanted to see the variations of granite.
Ditto- we have a synthetic solid surface quarts countertop at our cabin- it was in when we bought it and we hate it-too homogenous looking, no character. It looks synthetic.

Here is the granite we put in our kitchen just before we put our house on the market- we love it, and I hope the new owners will, too.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:01 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

It's a beautiful desert pattern, WS, yet I never quite saw the point of making beautiful upgrades to one's home just before selling it. To me, it always felt like a gyp to make my house nicer for strangers, than it was while I was in it. Make it nice for me, that's my thought.

I assume the place you're moving to is even more spectacular?
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:30 AM   #32
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
It's a beautiful desert pattern, WS, yet I never quite saw the point of making beautiful upgrades to one's home just before selling it. To me, it always felt like a gyp to make my house nicer for strangers, than it was while I was in it. Make it nice for me, that's my though t.

Thanks, Amethyst, but the upgrades helped sell it fast in a neighborhood of cookie cutter-homes (most approaching 10 years old, most without any upgrades):

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/sold-our-house-in-34-days-46182.html

Quote:

The house we are moving to is a big step up... we are buying it primarily as an investment, but you have to live somewhere...
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tos-45051.html
Old 09-09-2009, 12:02 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It's a beautiful desert pattern, WS, yet I never quite saw the point of making beautiful upgrades to one's home just before selling it. To me, it always felt like a gyp to make my house nicer for strangers, than it was while I was in it. Make it nice for me, that's my thought.

Not that I upgrades like WS.... but I did upgrade the house I am selling... because the floors were the orginal laminate that looked pretty bad.. to someone else... I could care less... (but my wife was wanting something else).... also, our bathroom had deteriorated so bad that we had to freshen it up or nobody would want the place...

So far... no takers... but it has only be a short time...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:18 PM   #34

Wow, what a beautiful new place Westernskies.

It's great your upgrades paid off. In 2004 when we downsized sold our modest 1950's ranch-style house, it sat on the market for 200 days. On the realtor's advice we replaced the wallpaper in the study and bathrooms (Sooo 1990s she said.) with fancy (and expensive) faux finishes.

A 15% price reduction finally moved it. The new owners immediately bulldozed it and built this.
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:30 PM   #35
Administrator

We went out looking at options saturday past. After looking and touching there was no choice - granite carried the day.

When I reminded her of the stain factor she just looked at me - with that special look reserved for long time couples - and said "you're just gonna have to be careful and not stain my new granite".

Thanks for the feedback.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:21 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

To all of you that have never resealed their granite countertops - I personally know two couples that spilled red wine on their granite and didn't clean it up right away. The porous granite sucked up the wine. One of them is living with the stain. The other one hired somebody to come in and grind down the countertop to get rid of it. I don't think it would have mattered much if the countertops had been darker, but on their's it was really obvious.

I have quartz, so I don't know for sure, but when I was shopping all of the sales people told me you needed to reseal every year. We were going low maintenance, and we loved the color options we had available, so we went with the quartz. We've only been here 1 1/2 years. I'll report back in 8 more and let you know how it's working out.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:17 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
To all of you that have never resealed their granite countertops - I personally know two couples that spilled red wine on their granite and didn't clean it up right away. The porous granite sucked up the wine. One of them is living with the stain. The other one hired somebody to come in and grind down the countertop to get rid of it. I don't think it would have mattered much if the countertops had been darker, but on their's it was really obvious.

I have quartz, so I don't know for sure, but when I was shopping all of the sales people told me you needed to reseal every year. We were going low maintenance, and we loved the color options we had available, so we went with the quartz. We've only been here 1 1/2 years. I'll report back in 8 more and let you know how it's working out.
I am resurrecting this old thread instead of opening a new one. I hope it's OK?

I am trying to decide if we should go with granite or quartz, and before reading this thread, I was leaning toward granite, but since I want a light-colored countertop, I may be safer with quartz.

Your opinions change since 2009?

As for the resale value of a home although we have no plans to sell in the near future, does anyone know if it makes a difference, granite or quartz?
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:21 AM   #38

I think quartz is more popular now than in 2009 (when we bought/remodeled our house). In a previous kitchen remodel, I had light colored granite and would NEVER have it again. It really does stain easily regardless of sealing (especially sensitive to anything greasy or oily). We have dark granite now which has been fine, but I think I would go with quartz in any future project.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:43 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post

I am trying to decide if we should go with granite or quartz, and before reading this thread, I was leaning toward granite, but since I want a light-colored countertop, I may be safer with quartz.

As for the resale value of the home although we have no plans to sell in the near future, does anyone know if it makes a difference, granite or quartz?
I loved my (black) granite countertops in my old house that I discussed in posts #21 and #25 above (see photo below). To me as a buyer, granite would have been a big plus; I'm not familiar with quartz so maybe that would not have been as attractive to me. Maybe ask a local realtor? When I sold that home, the new buyers immediately did a complete kitchen remodel, tearing out everything including the countertops. So there went my gorgeous granite. Oh well, it's their home now.

My present home came with new-looking countertops made of some sort of laminate or something, perhaps Formica (?), in a pattern of black, grey, and white speckles that is intended to look like granite. I figured that as soon as it gets stained or cut, I'd replace it with granite. Well, I have been here 3 years and it is amazing! It has really held up and still looks brand new. Perhaps manufacturers have improved this type of material since before the days of granite, in order to compete effectively.

It requires almost no care other than occasional wiping with a sponge. So yes, my opinions must have changed because I haven't replaced my countertops with granite. However if they become stained or gouged, out they go!

Here are the two countertops, old and new:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kitchen3.jpg (49.2 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg Kitchen2.jpg (53.4 KB, 94 views)

Old 07-22-2018, 09:48 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post

As for the resale value of a home although we have no plans to sell in the near future, does anyone know if it makes a difference, granite or quartz?
We are remodeling our kitchen at the moment. We chose a natural stone. If you want light colors you might go with quartzite. The industry does not always refer to the rock types as the geologists do. Some granites will have a mix with plenty of light colors. Quartzite (a metamorphic rock) is usually more expensive but it is fine grained and can be beautiful.

FWIW, we chose dark colored stone slabs. They are "Saturnia" by name but are really a schist which is a metamorphic rock that is not quite as fine grained as some quartzites. See: Schist Happens: Get to Know This Brilliant Stone - Use Natural Stone

My advice is to walk around a stone yard that displays a good variety of slabs. You might find you are fascinated with the stone varieties, or maybe not.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote