Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-08-2018, 09:27 AM   #161
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I guess we like simple things. I've never cared for stone counters of any kind. We chose a laminate countertop for our kitchen and bathroom counters. Ours has a green leaf pattern in it and my wife and I both knew we wanted it the minute we first saw it in the store. We were also building our house ourselves, so a countertop material we could install ourselves was a must. The laminate is kind of hard to photograph but here's a couple of pics from my photo archives back in 2004.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2018, 08:31 PM   #162
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
Wow. Wish I was close by as I love to get old Corian countertops for projects. Maybe you already plan to use it?

I think I am going to try to make something out of some of it.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:24 PM   #163
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsoft View Post
I guess we like simple things. I've never cared for stone counters of any kind. We chose a laminate countertop for our kitchen and bathroom counters. Ours has a green leaf pattern in it and my wife and I both knew we wanted it the minute we first saw it in the store. We were also building our house ourselves, so a countertop material we could install ourselves was a must. The laminate is kind of hard to photograph but here's a couple of pics from my photo archives back in 2004.
It looks really nice. You built all that yourself, correct? It looks pretty amazing.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 10:26 PM   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
It looks really nice. You built all that yourself, correct? It looks pretty amazing.
Yep, we built the house, the cabinets, all plumbing, electrical, etc. You can see some photos of us building the kitchen at the bottom of my house web page at 2003 - Building Our Own House 14 years later and it's still standing.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:54 AM   #165
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yep, we built the house, the cabinets, all plumbing, electrical, etc. You can see some photos of us building the kitchen at the bottom of my house web page at 2003 - Building Our Own House 14 years later and it's still standing.
Yes, I think that's where I saw the photos. What you did is very cool. (not only the work you did but you took photos throughout!)
Old 08-09-2018, 07:57 AM   #166
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, I think that's where I saw the photos. What you did is very cool. (Not only the work you did, but you took photos through
Old 08-09-2018, 10:08 AM   #167

We just got our new quartzite slab put in and all I can say is WOW.

The fabricator claims he'll never work with it again as it was difficult to cut but it looks really good.
Granite vs Quartz countertops
Old 08-09-2018, 10:24 AM   #168
Give me a forum ...

Granite vs Quartz countertops

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
We just got our new quartzite slab put in and all I can say is WOW.

The fabricator claims he'll never work with it again as it was difficult to cut but it looks really good.

Do you have any pictures?
Our fabricator charged us an additional $1,100 for cutting the quartzite. It’s pretty tough!
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 12:19 PM   #169
Give me a forum ...

I don't know if you remember, but I'm the one who resurrected this thread. Thank you all for all your posts - At the end, we picked the granite called Premium Black, with a grey/white marble backsplash. We're very happy.

The color of the granite is quite dark (greyish black with very tiny grey speckles), and it does show more dirt, including paw marks of my cats, but I guess that's not exactly a bad thing! We were initially intrigued by beautiful designs on different slabs, but we decided that they all looked a bit too busy for our small kitchen, so we chose something with very little variation.

We finally got it all done last week.

And...I LOVE IT! (And I guess that's what matters!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new kitchen.jpg (46.3 KB, 75 views)
Old 11-18-2018, 12:54 PM   #170
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I don't know if you remember, but I'm the one who resurrected this thread. Thank you all for all your posts - At the end, we picked the granite called Premium Black, with a grey/white marble backsplash. We're very happy.

The color of the granite is quite dark (greyish black with very tiny grey speckles), and it does show more dirt, including paw marks of my cats, but I guess that's not exactly a bad thing! We were initially intrigued by beautiful designs on different slabs, but we decided that they all looked a bit too busy for our small kitchen, so we chose something with very little variation.

Beautiful!!! I am so glad you found just the right countertops, ones that you love and that will make you happy for years to come.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 05:12 PM   #171
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Beautiful!!! I am so glad you found just the right countertops, ones that you love and that will make you happy for years to come.
Thank you so much, W2R! Like your dream house, my kitchen is becoming my dream kitchen, so it's all good!
Old 11-18-2018, 06:07 PM   #172

Very nice. Took me a minute to see it for what it is. The reflection makes it look like you have a two tone backsplash. I like the simplicity of the design. Clean and modern. Good job.
Old 11-18-2018, 06:38 PM   #173
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Our granite is black with gold specs in it and with subway tile pretty much like yours. Beautiful stuff. Nice job on yours!!
Old 11-18-2018, 09:23 PM   #174
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Our granite is black with gold specs in it and with subway tile pretty much like yours. Beautiful stuff. Nice job on yours!!
Thank you! I bet I'd like yours too. We must have a similar taste
I wonder the granite you have is Black Galaxy? Black Galaxy is really pretty. It reminds me of a starry sky.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:26 PM   #175
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Very nice. Took me a minute to see it for what it is. The reflection makes it look like you have a two tone backsplash. I like the simplicity of the design. Clean and modern. Good job.
Thank you, Jerry! Because of the reflection, I added a tea pot/kettle, but it's still a little hard to see.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:33 AM   #176
Give me a forum ...

Looks very nice, congrats.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 05:04 AM   #177
Moderator Emeritus

Very nice!
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:43 AM   #178
Give me a forum ...

Thank you, both! I’m very happy!
Old 11-19-2018, 12:03 PM   #179

Quote:

This looks great! We are building a new house in 2019, and I'll have to show the pic to Mrs Hawkeye.
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote