Granite vs Quartz countertops

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
We're going to do some kitchen remodeling, including countertops. My question is: granite or quartz / engineered stone. I've read about both and appreciate the major differences between the two, but am still not clearly in favor of one over the other.

From a fashion vs function perspective, DW leans heavily toward the fashion side while I tend equally toward function. Her wish is usually my command, but in this case I am allowed a voice (albeit small) because I clean and ease of cleaning is a consideration.

I know this group is quite reticent and does not usually offer opinions on other member lifestyle related matters, but I'm hoping some here will have some useful knowledge or experience they are willing to share.:)

We covered our plastic laminate with granite and it looks beautiful.

I chose a very exotic granite with lots of different mineral inclusions that impart a great deal of color and movement. There are black crystals, white crystals, sparkling mica, and areas of rust and pink. I absolutely love looking at it, which is more than could be said for the very serviceable almond laminate we had for the previous 18 years. The granite is very easy to clean; the biggest headache is that there are so many colors and patterns, dirt can be hard to see.

Because some of the surface crystals could possibly pop, we are careful not to put hot items directly on the countertops--which is no special hardship, since we already had cutting boards and trivets for use with the laminate tops.

As with all home decorating decisions, we gave due consideration to the always-bland tastes of "future buyers" (who no doubt will prefer solid black granite, uniformly speckled quartz or engineered stone) and decided the heck with them, live a little.

I am very, very happy with my granite countertops. I would also be very, very happy with quartz. Toss a coin - - you can't lose. :D

As long as it's not 40 year old formica with burns and stains, I'm happy.

We went with grey greenish granite, specially sanded to remove the shine (at extra cost, of course. I don't know why the default is shiny). It looks quite a bit like like marble, but it is indestructible -- after four years of heavy daily use, we have no scratches, no stains, no chips or pops. We put hot pots directly on top of it without a trivet. We do use cutting boards, but mainly because the knives get dulled if we don't.

We went with grey greenish granite, specially sanded to remove the shine (at extra cost, of course. I don't know why the default is shiny). It looks quite a bit like like marble, but it is indestructible -- after four years of heavy daily use, we have no scratches, no stains, no chips or pops. We put hot pots directly on top of it without a trivet. We do use cutting boards, but mainly because the knives get dulled if we don't.

Oh me, too! :) I bought my house with black granite countertops 7 years ago, and who knows how long before that they had been there. NO scratches, NO stains, no chips, no pops. I *always* put hot pots directly on it just because I can. I didn't use a cutting board for the first few years, but started using a plastic cutting board because I can toss it in the dishwasher (and I can't do that with the whole countertop). After about 5 years I thought it suddenly was looking a little dull, so I bought some granite cleaner and resealer from Home Depot. I used that just once and is has been shiny ever since.

Last edited:
Every house ad I've seen calls out the granite countertops as a selling point if the place has them. I don't see any calling out any other surface.

So your DW sounds like she is right on the money as far as fashion goes.

How about Corian?...I'm leaning that way for our rental we're fixing up.

The only problem I everheard with granite is if there are any junction seams, food can get incorporated and cause bacterial problems. No seams, no problem.

Unsolicited advice ;) : Don't forget a splash guard (of any material) that runs completely from counter top to under cabinet. This was firmly recommended by our Corian guy and boy am I glad I listened. Cleaning is a snap, and I never ever have to repaint that pesky little space between the countertop and bottom of upper cabinets. I use removable 3M plastic hooks with the adhesive backs for potholders and utensils and such, i.e. no drilling.
Another tip if this is even possible with granite, is to have parallel grooves of shallow depth to deep depth running right next to the sink to simulate a drain board. If you need a pic, let me know via PM.

FWIW, I have black Corian and it looks just like granite. It is softer of course and I can see a few nicks where some man :rolleyes: forgot to get a cutting board. I really have to look to see them.

Have fun choosing your countertops. :D

As Freebird said - have fun! Sometimes there seems to be an undue lot of angst about countertop decisions; it may just be that there are too many choices these days. 19 years ago, we could choose from laminate on wood, formica, butcherblock or tile, most of which were frankly not too attractive. Today, there are so many gorgeous surfaces to choose from, you can hardly go wrong. Someone will always bring up some fancied criticism, though, so be prepared. If you pick exotic granite like ours, someone will notice that it doesn't take a perfectly even gloss (here and there, is a bit of a mineral that isn't as shiny as the rest). If you pick plain black, someone will remind you that "every new house has black granite countertops now, and the latest material is brushed stainless steel/dyed concrete/Himalayan wacki-wacki wood." And so it goes. :LOL:

We did quartz a couple years ago and have been happy with it. After two years of use, abuse and nelect, it still looks brand new.

I do vaguely remember reading an article a year ir two ago about some families that installed exotic granite only to discover that it was radioactive.

We did quartz a couple years ago and have been happy with it. After two years of use, abuse and nelect, it still looks brand new.

I do vaguely remember reading an article a year ir two ago about some families that installed exotic granite only to discover that it was radioactive.

Brew -- radioactive !?! Guess you could find your way in the dark to the fridge;)

Yes, radioactivity is a serious problem with some granites. I think most places will have it checked before selling it, but I would not trust them. And I would not be surprised if some of these stones outgassed radon. Anybody with granite test for radon since owning granite?

Anyways, I'd take my Geiger counter to the stone store when shopping for slabs.

I absolutely love looking at it, which is more than could be said for the very serviceable almond laminate we had for the previous 18 years.

Almond laminate... :smitten:

The granite is very easy to clean; the biggest headache is that there are so many colors and patterns, dirt can be hard to see.

That's not a headache! That's a feature...

Quartz... no brainer.. granite is porous and requires due diligence... quartz does not.

Quartz... no brainer.. granite is porous and requires due diligence... quartz does not.
What kind of diligence? We put in granite counter tops about 10 years ago and they still look like new. Do I need to treat them with something or take other maintenance steps?

What kind of diligence? We put in granite counter tops about 10 years ago and they still look like new. Do I need to treat them with something or take other maintenance steps?

Check here: Granite Countertop Maintenance - LoveToKnow Home Improvement

Perhaps yours don't need it but sounds like many (most?) require an annual (or so) resealing.........or perhaps you're extra careful w/ spills.

Somewhat off the topic , but related, is the issue of undercabinet lighting.
DW chose to have those installed during our kitchen remodeling and they are very nice when you are working there and for showing off the granite counters but they are somewhat of a mixed blessing for the latter.........since they show off everything: every single spill, water stain,
oil droplet splatters (which look even worse when you do an incomplete removal and end up smearing tiny invisible droplets into a cloudy sheet,
joints in the assembly, etc. The lights, however, also help you see those problems so that you can clean them up is you are so inclined......so sort of a mixed blessing overall. You can always turn them off when guests come
(unless the counters are in showoff shape).

Same here, after 7 years with granite counter tops that were probably put in about 10 years ago. Once I thought they were looking less shiny than they did, so I spent 10 minutes applying some "granite resealer and cleaner" from Home Depot and they got back their old shine. I don't really see why I would want to do anything else as long as they remain as shiny and gorgeous as new. Anything more is overkill, IMO.

Quartz here. Never had any problem. It also has some sort of anti-microbial thing built in. That may be more advertising hype than useful product. It still looks like granite but tougher.

Check here: Granite Countertop Maintenance - LoveToKnow Home Improvement

Perhaps yours don't need it but sounds like many (most?) require an annual (or so) resealing.........or perhaps you're extra careful w/ spills.

From the article:
Before you reseal your granite countertops, check with the manufacturer or installer to be sure it is necessary. Most granite counters do need to be re-sealed on an annual basis, but not all of them require this.
Not sure what to make of this since mine have stayed fine for 10 years. I guess I will just wait until I see some problems and then reseal.

When we were remodeling our kitchen a few years ago, we went with quartz. The main reasons were two. The granite, though tough, is a bit more porous than the quartz was so it required sealing (and presumable future maintenance). The quartz allowed us to select a color and order, whereas the granite would have required us to go to the store and select the slabs, because of the natural variations in color. Minor reasons included, the quartz, from what I've heard, is a bit harder than granite so it should not break as easily. That made sense, since the quartz was essentially small bits held together by an epoxy. We couldn't find granite in the color we wanted, but we did with the quartz. Quartz was a bit cheaper, and most people couldn't tell the difference between quartz and granite.

From the article:
Not sure what to make of this since mine have stayed fine for 10 years. I guess I will just wait until I see some problems and then reseal.

That's what I am doing. The resealer is pricey, and I don't really see any need for it if the countertop still looks like new. Somebody is making a lot of money off of it, though.

Also, I have read that you aren't supposed to use Windex on granite countertops. I use it anyway. Maybe that is why, after about 7 years, my countertop needed 5-10 minutes wiping on a resealer/cleaner. :rolleyes: It's possible that the "cleaner" part was what restored the shine.

At any rate, I would say that granite countertops are maintenance free.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom