Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Gratuitous camera-phone shots of gas prices
Old 09-01-2005, 03:34 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Co-worker just finished explaining to me he's trading in his crew cab 3500 for a "mega-cab" 3500 (both some sort of cummings diesel). The mega cab is 15 inches longer in the cab. I said, "are you kidding? we might be looking at $4 gas soon!". Upon which he replied, "oh, but I'm getting a second 35 gallon tank installed, so I won't have to stop for gas for a long while" .........what, he's going to make his losses on volume? His biggest annoyance is gas stations that won't let you buy more than a certain dollar amount in one fill up (credit card fruad mitigation, from what I understand).

Obviously some people still aren't feeling pain at the pump.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2005, 03:38 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My coworker bought a bike during lunch. He says he'll save money and get his exercise in too.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 03:44 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

I'm a casual level triathlete, and I've got a really nice 19 lb. street bike. I'm thinking of trying it out and seeing how it goes.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:04 PM   #24

I've been putting off driving anywhere for the past 3 days, but finally got a long enough list of errands that I decided to get the car out of the garage today. One of the errands was to buy gas -- both for my car and for my lawn mower. I shopped the internet for prices first. Two places nearby were supposed to have gas at $2.699 per gallon. Turns out they were actually at $2.999 per gallon. It was still the cheapest gas I saw on my errand loop. One station had a sign up for $2.799, but their pumps were empty. Not a good sign.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 04:55 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Big lines and long waits at the stations last night. No way that I was going to wait in line. I went this morning and filled up with no problem and no waiting. I have to admit that I am taking my bike with me everywhere just in case I need a way to get home.
treypar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 05:31 PM   #26

The station I purchased gas yesterday at $3.09 is up to $3.19 today.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:35 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
I'm a casual level triathlete, and I've got a really nice 19 lb. street bike. I'm thinking of trying it out and seeing how it goes.
By all means do it. I commute twice a week (12 miles each way) and am working my way up to doing it more often. I don't use my bike for much else so it turns out to be not that much cheaper (yet) but if you own the bike anyway you'll be laughing all the way to the bank. It's a lot more satisfying than driving (or public transport) no matter which way you slice it.
Check out http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20 for lots of bike commuting info (including some people who do 40+ miles per day).

Tim
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 06:29 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

I usually steer clear of politics, but this made me mad

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...apm10208301856

Please note the date that was taken. If you were the big boss, where would you be 1.5 days after a MAJOR catastrophe? And what's this about surveying the damage aboard air-force one at several thousand feet traveling 500mph? President Bush amazes me sometimes :P
Marshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 06:37 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

My bike commute would be about 10 miles each way which would take me about 35 minutes. Just not sure how to handle taking a change of clothes and what to do whne it starts to get dark. I guess it would be okay for the summer.
treypar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 06:56 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

I think I'm going to try it as soon as I get back from visiting relatives in WI next week. Martha, it looks like it's going to be in the seventies then, and sunny, I picked a good time to go!
Old 09-01-2005, 08:46 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atla
My bike commute would be about 10 miles each way which would take me about 35 minutes. Just not sure how to handle taking a change of clothes and what to do whne it starts to get dark. I guess it would be okay for the summer.
Congratulations - that's quite fast. Here in traffic and with the hills it takes me about this time to ride 7 miles one way.
I shower at work but know people who take "sponge baths" in the restroom.
As far a lights - it depends on what kind of streets are you cycling. Small halogen or LED headlamps might be ok if you only need "to be seen" light plus a red blinker in the back.
Myself I carry small halogen in front (Cateye HL-500 Micro), 20W halogen and two bright red blinkers in the back.

sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 06:12 AM   #32
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuisance
By all means do it. I commute twice a week (12 miles each way) and am working my way up to doing it more often. I don't use my bike for much else so it turns out to be not that much cheaper (yet) but if you own the bike anyway you'll be laughing all the way to the bank. It's a lot more satisfying than driving (or public transport) no matter which way you slice it.
Check out http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20 for lots of bike commuting info (including some people who do 40+ miles per day).

Tim
Tim,

With gasoline hitting $3.199/gallon here in Pittsburgh, the idea of bicycle commuting is starting to look attractive.* *My driving commute is 15 miles each way.* Unfortunately, using a bicycle to commute means that this distance would increase to 17-18 miles each way.

I'd would think that a commuting bicycle would differ from a road bicycle because you'd need fenders, a rack to carry items and lights for riding when it's dark.* You'd also need footgear to keep your feet warm when it's cold and clothing that could withstand rain and cold.

Mike
ascenzm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 06:22 AM   #33

The Newly Minted Energy Conservation President

President Bush took the unusual step yesterday of urging Americans not to buy gasoline if they don't have to. "Americans should be prudent in their use of energy,"

Cary Gavant, a 58-year-old Atlanta broker, says he conserved fuel last night by driving more slowly than usual on the 50 miles north on I-75 toward his suburban home from Atlanta and noticed that many other drivers were doing so, too. "The thought of not having gasoline was terrifying," he said.

I did too and noticed some others doing same...took me back to the 70's when we drove 55....still there were plenty of others gunning it out there...
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 09:21 AM   #34

In Raleigh, NC we are seeing increasing shortages with many stations with no gas. On my way in to work none of the stations had any gas. One place did have diesel only. One station has been closed since Tuesday with no gas. Luckily, DW and I have full tanks!
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 09:34 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Filled up the Jeep last night, @$2.95 a gallon, it cost me 55 bucks, and for some reason I felt lucky it was that cheep! On vacation starting today, we won't have to drive much for the next 9 days and I'm very glad for it.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:35 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascenzm
With gasoline hitting $3.199/gallon here in Pittsburgh, the idea of bicycle commuting is starting to look attractive. My driving commute is 15 miles each way. Unfortunately, using a bicycle to commute means that this distance would increase to 17-18 miles each way.

I'd would think that a commuting bicycle would differ from a road bicycle because you'd need fenders, a rack to carry items and lights for riding when it's dark. You'd also need footgear to keep your feet warm when it's cold and clothing that could withstand rain and cold.
As for distance, you can always start out by driving part way, parking your car, and biking the rest. That even works out money-wise because you'll presumably drive where traffic isn't too bad yet (so you'll get OK mileage) and then bike the part where there is a lot of traffic. Do Pittsburgh buses have bike racks on the front? That might be an option too.
As for bike choice, check out the URL I posted earlier in this thread. There's always a few threads going on about what makes the ideal commuter bike. I commute on a road bike with a rack, but the roads here are in pretty good condition and it rarely rains in SoCal. In Pittsburgh I'd likely end up on a mountain bike with road tires, fenders, and a rack.
The hardest part about bike commuting is getting started.

Tim
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 09:37 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
Filled up the Jeep last night, @$2.95 a gallon, it cost me 55 bucks, and for some reason I felt lucky it was that cheep! On vacation starting today, we won't have to drive much for the next 9 days and I'm very glad for it.
I know it's strange how now that seems like good price, two months ago....
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote