Join Early Retirement Today

Great Car Deals
Old 03-30-2014, 05:55 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Great Car Deals

Apologies for a long post...hopefully this is useful to someone!

I finally ran out of patience with the repairs on my 8 year old BMW 3 Series. Did the math and realized that I was spending on average $250/mo in repairs to keep it going...toss in the on-going depreciation and I figured I was north of $400/mo. Not smart. It was a fun car, but sadly lived up to everything I'd heard about maintaining a Bimmer.

So I started shopping, researched like mad and test drove stuff. I haven't shopped for a car for a long time, so maybe this is common now but it seems like there are AMAZING deals in the lightly used luxury market right now.

Apparently, Infiniti ran some crazy short term lease deal on the Infiniti G37x about two years ago. Then they doubled down on this strategy and called of these lessees offering them some deal to move to a new Q50.

The result is that there appears to be a HERD of lightly used, beautiful G37s heading back onto the certified pre-owned lots right now. There were THIRTY+ within 25 miles of my house that were 2012 or newer and had LESS THAN 15000 miles on them. Still had factory warranty...and a CPO warranty to boot. I almost bought a pristine 2012 AWD G37x with 6500 miles on it for $30K...about $12K less than the original price!

Even better though, it appears to have pinned back the prices on similarly, lightly used luxury cars. The Infiniti Dealer was dumb and low-balled the trade on my BMW, but the Acura guy wanted to make a sale. He gave me 33% more.

Result: I drove off the Acura lot yesterday in a 2013 TL with AWD and the snazzy technology package that had only 7500 miles on it. I paid the guy $34K for a one year old car that originally sold for $44K. The car had a bumper-bumper warranty until 2017, but I put down another $2K and got full bumper-bumper plus free repairs on parking lot door dings, windshields, & tires/wheels until 2021.

So for $35K I've got a beautiful car and guaranteed ZERO repair costs for the next seven years.

If you're thinking about swapping out cars, it seems like a really good time to me.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2014, 07:43 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I hate to tell you this, but you could have gotten the extended warranty for about $750. Always negotiate everything!

Old 03-30-2014, 08:25 PM   #3

The 2013 TL is a great car and will last you more years than you will likely care to drive it. You can't go wrong with that car - congratulations!

I purchased a 4 year extended warranty on both our Lexus and Toyota vehicles this year. There is a sales person at a Toyota dealership in Kansas that quotes just a few dollars over his cost on factory extended warranties. We compared the prices with the local dealers, who all want to charge full price. The markup is right about 100%, so by buying from the guy in Kansas you can get the warranty for about 50% of the price that any local dealer charges. For the Prius, a 5 year extended warranty was $769.00. That is five years past the original 3 year factory warranty, so eight years total, or 75,000 miles, which we will never drive in eight years. We don't drive much. And the warranty is honored at any Toyota dealer in the US or Canada. It is also transferrable to a new owner with no fee.

I don't know if the equivalent sort of deal is available from Acura, but in general my observation is that factory warranties are marked up to about double the dealer cost. When they have to go very low on a car to move it, they try to make it back on the warranty. Many times they make more profit on the warranty than the car.

With all that said, I think you got a great overall deal, so I wouldn't give another thought to the warranty cost. It will give you great peace of mind and many years of hassle free ownership. Enjoy!
Old 03-30-2014, 08:35 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
I hate to tell you this, but you could have gotten the extended warranty for about $750. Always negotiate everything!
Se la vie. I'm happy.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:37 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
It will give you great peace of mind and many years of hassle free ownership. Enjoy!
Thanks!
Old 03-30-2014, 08:55 PM   #6

Congrats on your new ride. Good bud of mine has a similar TL & it's a SWEET ride!

Re- car maker ext warranties- Be very careful you are buying what you think. Some vendors are selling 3rd party EW's via some very slick ads implying they are from the auto maker when they are not.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:00 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
Congrats on your new ride..
Thanks!
Old 03-31-2014, 08:25 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by krotoole View Post
Se la vie. I'm happy.
I think you mean "C'est la vie!".
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:56 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations on your new ride. May it provide many trouble free miles.

FWIW, I have read that now is a good time to buy that gas saver if you want one. With gas prices relatively lower cars like the Prius are supposedly being discounted. <--- here-say alert.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:51 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I have read that now is a good time to buy that gas saver if you want one.
Very true.
Around here, the Tesla S price has been plummeting lately. They are saying that if you order one tomorrow (Tuesday of this week), you can get one for $35,000 and still get the $7,500 tax credit. It's a one day deal, though -- must be ordered after midnight tonight and before Wednesday, local time.

Oops!
Just looked at the calendar.

Never mind!
Old 03-31-2014, 06:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by krotoole View Post
Se la vie. I'm happy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I think you mean "C'est la vie!".
Better to have the spelling police on your butt than the city police with red lights behind your new car!

Krotoole, sounds like you have a nice car that should serve you for many years. Good job side stepping that big depreciation hit.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is online now   Reply With Quote