Join Early Retirement Today

Great cup of tea
Old 10-27-2010, 02:17 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Great cup of tea

I love a cup of tea, particularly during cold weather. My favorites are Earl Grey and Green Tea. I'd love to try something new. Suggestions?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2010, 02:29 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Right now I am hooked on Oolong tea (I get mine here: http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/). I love the earthy/mushroomy flavor and I think it tastes great with a bit of honey. I also like to drink Chai tea in the winter.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:29 PM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Shop for White Rose White Tea | Stash Tea

Disclaimer: no commercial interest with these folks, but their stuff is good.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:31 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm a Brit, so I drink "SBT" ("Standard British Tea" or "Standard Builder's Tea"), which is what the whole of the UK runs on: basically quite cheap tea, brewed very strong, with milk. Very hard to get in the US. Maybe you can buy "Yorkshire Tea". Beware of anything marked "English Breakfast", which will bear no relationship to SBT unless you use about 3 bags per mug.

When I can't get that, I make do with Darjeeling. I also love jasmine tea, but I consider that to be practically a different beverage. I hate Lapsang Souchong, Earl Grey, and all other teas that taste as if something has fallen out of DW's make-up box into them.
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:33 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Jasmine green tea is one of my favs. Peets has a good one. Or go to your nearest chinese/japanese grocery and pick up a random loose-leaf green tea inexpensively.
figner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:21 PM   #6

White Rose is the tea drinker's tea. DW's favorite is peach flavored white tea with a drop of honey and 3/4 packet of splenda. I make it for her every morning at 7
Old 10-27-2010, 03:58 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
I'm a Brit, so I drink "SBT" ("Standard British Tea" or "Standard Builder's Tea"), which is what the whole of the UK runs on: basically quite cheap tea, brewed very strong, with milk. Very hard to get in the US. Maybe you can buy "Yorkshire Tea". Beware of anything marked "English Breakfast", which will bear no relationship to SBT unless you use about 3 bags per mug.

When I can't get that, I make do with Darjeeling. I also love jasmine tea, but I consider that to be practically a different beverage. I hate Lapsang Souchong, Earl Grey, and all other teas that taste as if something has fallen out of DW's make-up box into them.
Ahhh..."SBT". Lived in the UK as a child and still crave a cuppa SBT from time to time with lots of milk and sugar
Old 10-27-2010, 04:16 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Purron,

Try Genmai-cha (green tea with roasted brown rice) and Hoji-cha (Roasted green tea).

My fav in the winter time is Mugi-cha (roasted barly tea... it has no leaves of any kind in it.)
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:41 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I used to love Lady Londonderry - but you can't find the black tea blend anymore.

These days if we have hot "afternoon tea" we tend to go with Chai.

Tazo tea makes this awesome herbal tea - Tarragon Mint.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:42 PM   #10
Administrator

I love the smoky taste of Lapsang Souchong on a cold afternoon. Hint for a better cuppa -- don't pour boiling water straight from the kettle onto the tea. Pour the water, let it cool down just a little, then put the tea in it.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:45 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Depends on if you like flavored teas, but I'm guessing yes since you like the bergamot flavored Earl Gray. I'd suggest passion fruit flavored tea as a different taste--it is beautiful in the cup.

As for stronger teas, I think what used to be called Russian Caravan tea is fairly strong. Indian teas are usually stronger than Kenyan-sourced teas, IIRC from my years working for a tea-taster. Brewing by the clock with good water and getting the freshest tea possible makes for better tea, no matter what you select.

I also confess to a certain affinity for Constant Comment, an old-fashioned flavored tea. Tea drinking is such a matter of preference, though.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:03 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post

We love tea. Just about all kinds. If I may ask, what are some of the brand names of the teas commonly consumed in England? I want to see if there is an online source for same.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I also confess to a certain affinity for Constant Comment, an old-fashioned flavored tea. Tea drinking is such a matter of preference, though.
+1

I'm a big fan of Constant Comment and in fact there is a cup of it I'm sipping on right now. I never grow tired of it and remember drinking it with my grandma many years ago. It would be nice to find the loose tea since all I find in the stores is packaged as tea bags.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:44 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Powerplay, here you go. I've known the Bigelow family for years as I grew up on tea.
Buy Constant Comment Loose Tea Loose Tea from Bigelow.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:24 PM   #15

I like Irish Breakfast for something different, it's similar to English Breakfast. If you like SBT, it might not be strong enough for you. I don't add any milk, so I tend to go for the milder types.

WM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:42 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

I like Chai and drink it all winter with milk. Nummy.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:31 PM   #17

I enjoy herbal fruit teas from the republic of tea, tazo, or a local tea maker called Mrs. Kelly's. I prefer loose tea over bags. The rep. of tea Goji raspberry green tea is very good.
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:43 PM   #18

It's not tea, but cranberry or cranberry/apple juice is also good heated with spices, like mulled apple cider. Also, a mix of black tea and cranberry or cranberry/apple drink, with or without the spices, is good hot.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:56 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Powerplay, here you go. I've known the Bigelow family for years as I grew up on tea.
Buy Constant Comment Loose Tea Loose Tea from Bigelow.
THANK YOU! I will be ordering some.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby View Post
i love the smoky taste of lapsang souchong on a cold afternoon. Hint for a better cuppa -- don't pour boiling water straight from the kettle onto the tea. Pour the water, let it cool down just a little, then put the tea in it.
+1

dd