Great cup of tea

Purron

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I love a cup of tea, particularly during cold weather. My favorites are Earl Grey and Green Tea. I'd love to try something new. Suggestions?

Right now I am hooked on Oolong tea (I get mine here: http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/). I love the earthy/mushroomy flavor and I think it tastes great with a bit of honey. I also like to drink Chai tea in the winter.

I'm a Brit, so I drink "SBT" ("Standard British Tea" or "Standard Builder's Tea"), which is what the whole of the UK runs on: basically quite cheap tea, brewed very strong, with milk. Very hard to get in the US. Maybe you can buy "Yorkshire Tea". Beware of anything marked "English Breakfast", which will bear no relationship to SBT unless you use about 3 bags per mug.

When I can't get that, I make do with Darjeeling. I also love jasmine tea, but I consider that to be practically a different beverage. I hate Lapsang Souchong, Earl Grey, and all other teas that taste as if something has fallen out of DW's make-up box into them. :D

Jasmine green tea is one of my favs. Peets has a good one. Or go to your nearest chinese/japanese grocery and pick up a random loose-leaf green tea inexpensively.

White Rose is the tea drinker's tea. DW's favorite is peach flavored white tea with a drop of honey and 3/4 packet of splenda. I make it for her every morning at 7 :rolleyes:

I'm a Brit, so I drink "SBT" ("Standard British Tea" or "Standard Builder's Tea"), which is what the whole of the UK runs on: basically quite cheap tea, brewed very strong, with milk. Very hard to get in the US. Maybe you can buy "Yorkshire Tea". Beware of anything marked "English Breakfast", which will bear no relationship to SBT unless you use about 3 bags per mug.

When I can't get that, I make do with Darjeeling. I also love jasmine tea, but I consider that to be practically a different beverage. I hate Lapsang Souchong, Earl Grey, and all other teas that taste as if something has fallen out of DW's make-up box into them. :D

Ahhh..."SBT". Lived in the UK as a child and still crave a cuppa SBT from time to time with lots of milk and sugar:)

Purron,

Try Genmai-cha (green tea with roasted brown rice) and Hoji-cha (Roasted green tea).

My fav in the winter time is Mugi-cha (roasted barly tea... it has no leaves of any kind in it.)

I used to love Lady Londonderry - but you can't find the black tea blend anymore.

These days if we have hot "afternoon tea" we tend to go with Chai.

Tazo tea makes this awesome herbal tea - Tarragon Mint.

I love the smoky taste of Lapsang Souchong on a cold afternoon. Hint for a better cuppa -- don't pour boiling water straight from the kettle onto the tea. Pour the water, let it cool down just a little, then put the tea in it.

Depends on if you like flavored teas, but I'm guessing yes since you like the bergamot flavored Earl Gray. I'd suggest passion fruit flavored tea as a different taste--it is beautiful in the cup.

As for stronger teas, I think what used to be called Russian Caravan tea is fairly strong. Indian teas are usually stronger than Kenyan-sourced teas, IIRC from my years working for a tea-taster. Brewing by the clock with good water and getting the freshest tea possible makes for better tea, no matter what you select.

I also confess to a certain affinity for Constant Comment, an old-fashioned flavored tea. Tea drinking is such a matter of preference, though.

We love tea. Just about all kinds. If I may ask, what are some of the brand names of the teas commonly consumed in England? I want to see if there is an online source for same.

I also confess to a certain affinity for Constant Comment, an old-fashioned flavored tea. Tea drinking is such a matter of preference, though.

+1

I'm a big fan of Constant Comment and in fact there is a cup of it I'm sipping on right now. I never grow tired of it and remember drinking it with my grandma many years ago. It would be nice to find the loose tea since all I find in the stores is packaged as tea bags.

I like Irish Breakfast for something different, it's similar to English Breakfast. If you like SBT, it might not be strong enough for you. I don't add any milk, so I tend to go for the milder types.

I enjoy herbal fruit teas from the republic of tea, tazo, or a local tea maker called Mrs. Kelly's. I prefer loose tea over bags. The rep. of tea Goji raspberry green tea is very good.

It's not tea, but cranberry or cranberry/apple juice is also good heated with spices, like mulled apple cider. Also, a mix of black tea and cranberry or cranberry/apple drink, with or without the spices, is good hot.

i love the smoky taste of lapsang souchong on a cold afternoon. Hint for a better cuppa -- don't pour boiling water straight from the kettle onto the tea. Pour the water, let it cool down just a little, then put the tea in it.

+1

dd

ohhhh tea....

My current herby cold weather favorite is Cardamon Cinnamon sort of stepped up constant comment. Definitely worth a try.

I drink both Keemun and Pu Erh. Both are Chinese black teas. Keemun has a redish color with a rich somewhat wine aftertaste and Pu Erk is a very earthy tea.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom