Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Great Movies You Can Only Watch Once
Old 07-07-2017, 06:36 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For example, The Sixth Sense, one of the best movies I've ever seen. But once you know how it ends, it's just not the same, completely spoils the experience compared to the first time. Some movies with surprise endings are still enjoyable a second time (e.g. The Shawshank Redemption, my #1 fav movie ever), some just aren't IMHO.

If you haven't seen The Sixth Sense, I highly recommend it.

Other movies that are great - once?

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2017, 06:49 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Memento.

On the flip side, a movie like Fight Club is actually more interesting the second time where you can see all the cool stuff the filmmakers do throughout that augments the twist that you didn't catch the first time through.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:07 PM   #3

I never felt like watching Citizen Kane a second time.

Blade Runner either.

These aren't on my list of greatest movies, though.

Sixth Sense I could watch again. I still consider that the scariest/spookiest movie ever.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:08 PM   #4

I immediately had to see 6th sense after I saw it. Once I knew the ending I needed to see If I could pick up on the "tells":
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:11 PM   #5

The Crying Game

Sixth Sense comes in as #1 on this list of Movies with a twist ending. But also as #3 rewatchable. I don't watch scary movies. So I will take your word this is a good movie.

Movies with Twist Endings | Best Twist Endings in Film
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:32 PM   #6

Planet of the Apes

Any movie with a big reveal at the end is a candidate, but there may be other reasons to watch it again.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:47 PM   #7

Silence of the Lamb. I was half watching it. Then I went home and bought the book to read it because I missed half of the plot. When it became too scary, I just fold the book. Easy Peasy. That's how I got through the book.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:06 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Disagree about watching the Sixth Sense a second time. Which I did just last week. Knowing the ending was enjoyable as I was able to view it from a different perspective.
LauAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:35 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Ex Machina
Old 07-07-2017, 09:54 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapr View Post
The Crying Game

Sixth Sense comes in as #1 on this list of Movies with a twist ending. But also as #3 rewatchable. I don't watch scary movies. So I will take your word this is a good movie.

Movies with Twist Endings | Best Twist Endings in Film
I guess I don't think of SIXTH SENSE as particularly "scary." Plenty of goose bumps and the ending is way cool. There are only a couple of "gotcha" scenes (where something "jumps out" at you or otherwise startles you.) It's no slasher movie but more in the vein of Psycho. You can really identify with all of the characters and there are only a couple of actual bad people in the whole thing. I really liked it because Bruce Willis was playing against type. Could be his best.

Watch it on the small screen and the "scariness" will be very manageable in my opinion. Still, you have to know yourself, so YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:00 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Manchester by the Sea - well acted, well written, but wish I had those two hours of my life back, however. Loved rewatching The Sixth Sense.
Jaded salami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:37 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Great topic!

Discuss this frequently with DGF, who is a big movie buff. My list, and the reason:

-Reservoir Dogs - Every time I hear "Stuck in the Middle with You", I think of THAT scene..
-Kill Bill Vols. 1&2 - Only need to see how the vengeance plays out once.
-Sunset Boulevard - Actress at the end of her career, actor on his way up. Too much like real life and depressing to watch again
-Chinatown - Nicholson in his prime, but once you know the secret, no need to see again. Just watch it closely the first time.
-Apocalypse Now - Amazing on many levels - the logistics to get it done, Brando, the portrayal of the intersection of duty and reality. Seen it 3 times since released, too depressing to see it again for another 10 years.

Need to start a thread on movies one is always happy to watch. Would be a longer list for me
Old 07-07-2017, 10:39 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Almost all of them. Actually, watching them even once is like pulling teeth for me.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Almost all of them. Actually, watching them even once is like pulling teeth for me.
+1. once is enough for almost every movie.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 12:32 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

No Way Out might fit the category.

In the category of must watch several times to even understand what's going on: Inception and Primer.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 12:46 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
Memento.
+1, great underappreciated movie. I tell my friends to watch, but be prepared for a mental challenge, I like to be challenged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
I immediately had to see 6th sense after I saw it. Once I knew the ending I needed to see If I could pick up on the "tells":
+1. I noticed one huge tell right off the bat, but never put it together until about a minute from the end. I'll never forget the instant near the end when I realized what was up and probably said "Oh My God." It took DW a few minutes more to see it, so she was pulling at my sleeve with "What? What?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Ex Machina
Yeah, I didn't see that ending coming, but it made sense. Makes you stop and think about AI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
In the category of must watch several times to even understand what's going on: Inception.
I couldn't wait to watch Inception a second time. I knew when it ended that I'd missed a lot despite being very focused the first time through.

Interstellar was challenging also, a lot of thought provoking space-nonlinear time-dimension puzzles.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 01:48 AM   #17

Schindler's List.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:04 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
Memento.

On the flip side, a movie like Fight Club is actually more interesting the second time where you can see all the cool stuff the filmmakers do throughout that augments the twist that you didn't catch the first time through.
Conversely, I watched Momento a second time just because I felt like I had missed so much of the plot trying to figure out what was really happening the first time around. Interesting movie!
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 05:25 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Same here with the exception of Shawshank Redemption. I've watched that one a couple of times. I too have difficulty watching a lot of movies. I guess my attention span is declining as I age. No problem watching an hour long TV show like Blue Bloods, Better Call Saul etc....
Old 07-08-2017, 07:04 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I like re-watching a good twist-finish movie, to see things from a very different perspective. Fight Club, already mentioned, is the classic example of this. Primal Fear is another. Edward Norton was great in this.

Some movies kind of fall apart though, not that they are considered "great". Stir of Echoes with Kevin Bacon comes to mind. I can't even remember the details, but while it was fun to watch for a lot of the movies, there was a "why didn't they just ___?" thing about it.

"The Sting" is one for me, though it's a well-done period movie and watching Redford and Newman a second time is not time wasted. It wasn't nearly as much fun knowing how it turned out though.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote