Join Early Retirement Today
Old 09-27-2013, 12:33 PM   #21
Yikes, daylate! I suppose there are bad apples in every business but that takes the cake! The last car dealership I was in was in 1988, when I went with my dad to pick out my new GMC Jimmy, a high school graduation present. Little did I know that once I started working, Dad would hand me the coupon book! Still stings to remember my $325 car payment and my $200 rent payment, all on $6 an hour wages. Never again, I said then!
I wouldn't even know what to think in your situation--glad you were able to walk away like that.

“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.”
Gerard Arthur Way

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2013, 01:14 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post

I have read since then that giving people the keys to a new car makes it hard for them to give up and that is a common sales tactic. I don't get that because it makes no difference to me whether I am holding the keys or not. I'm not a five year old. But apparently some people once they get the keys in their hand will do anything to keep the car.
I'd heard something similar. That a car sales man's job is to get you to visualize yourself driving that brand new shiney car. Once you'd done that, most people buy. Think the key in hand has the same type of effect.

Kinda why I wouldn't put the thing in the garage. Dad always had a rule about stray animals, not comimg in the house.

MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:40 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by tryan View Post
FWIW my 2002 Excursion became unmaintainable at 185k. Took a "Jesus take the wheel" moment (Pitman arm failed) followed by brake line break for me to realize "this ain't worth it."
To continue with the 90 degree turn...

Guy is following another car on a two-lane. The driver of the lead car is obviously drunk as indicated by his erratic driving. The driver of the following car decides to get around the drunk for safety. In doing so, he floors it and pulls out to pass, just as a truck turns toward him from a road just ahead. The ensuing crash is a real mess, but fortunately, no one is hurt beyond minor cuts, scrapes and bruises. The drunk approaches the guy at fault and asks if he is okay. The bruised driver replies "The LORD is riding with me" to which the drunk replies "Well, you better let him ride with me before you kill him!" YMMV

Ko'olau's Law -

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote