Join Early Retirement Today

Great Time for Soccer Fans
Old 06-21-2016, 12:49 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Between the European championships and the Copa America, it has been a great time for soccer fans, especially if you are retired. The European games have been on in the afternoon (east coast) and the Copa America games have been on in the evening. On more than one occasion, I've watched four games.. Tonight, the US plays Argentina, who has the best player in the world, Lionel Messi. It should be entertaining.
tomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2016, 12:54 PM   #2
Administrator

Enjoyable so far, but no real outstanding matches yet. Hopefully beginning the elimination rounds the pace will pick up,

Chile just destroyed Mexico the other night, 7-0. Won't miss Argentina tonight, they're very good.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 01:10 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Enjoyable so far, but no real outstanding matches yet. Hopefully beginning the elimination rounds the pace will pick up,

Chile just destroyed Mexico the other night, 7-0. Won't miss Argentina tonight, they're very good.

I think the copa America games have been pretty good. Better than the euro tournament where the big guys are grinding out 1-0 type wins in the early stages like always.

All the games that chile the usa and Mexico have been in have been pretty good excepting maybe the us/Colombia match. Mexico's last game was fun for the schadenfreude factor involved. It was pretty surprising how they pretty much gave up after the first half with almost the whole stadium being Mexican fans.

The big USA/Argentina game will interesting. They won't give up like mexico did against chile if they go down a goal or two but they certainly have a big mountain to climb.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 01:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomz View Post
Between the European championships and the Copa America, it has been a great time for soccer fans, especially if you are retired. The European games have been on in the afternoon (east coast) and the Copa America games have been on in the evening. On more than one occasion, I've watched four games.. Tonight, the US plays Argentina, who has the best player in the world, Lionel Messi. It should be entertaining.

Messi has a tendency to sometimes disappear for Argentina if he gets thrown out of his groove in the early stages of a game. One can only hope that happens tonite

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 03:36 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am thinking Argentina has a very deep team and minus one player in body or spirit will not change the outcome. That's on paper.
Wondering if Klinsmann has a trick or two?
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 03:47 PM   #6

Italy vs Spain in the round of 16. That should be an interesting match.

I enjoyed the Croatia game today. They played with a lot of energy. Spain, not so much.

Now to kill a few hours before tonight's game...
Old 06-21-2016, 04:16 PM   #7
Administrator

DD took her family to see the Jamaica - Venezuela match at Soldier Field. She said the fans were polite, friendly and happy to be there, even though they had Venezuelan jerseys on but were sitting in the Jamaican section.

The kids (5 and 7) enjoy the game and love to yell at the players on the screen when they are doing "fake injury".
Old 06-21-2016, 07:42 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh View Post
Messi has a tendency to sometimes disappear for Argentina if he gets thrown out of his groove in the early stages of a game. One can only hope that happens tonite
Well, he is certainly in his groove so far. That free kick was incredible. 2-0 is going to be tough to overcome.
tomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:37 PM   #9

Don't watch the games but live in Pasadena and hang out in old town after the game, always a big party, somebody wins. And in July Liverpool plays Chelsy, another opportunity for a street party.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 06-21-2016, 10:07 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Who was the team in red and white check today? Or maybe it was the fans in red and white check. I may have just noticed it briefly on the screens in a restaurant when we had lunch. Was curious.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:24 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

One problem is that my channel package does not include Fox sports (well, Fox anything except OTA channel).... so, I could not watch COPA games until the quarter finals and then only on the local Mexican station...

Have been watching the Euro championship... a surprise to me is Iceland... I did not know they had so few people there... I could be wrong, but It think they said 7% of the country went to the games... SOOOO, I am rooting for them to keep advancing..

I was disappointed in USA today.... the defense was pretty bad... standing around hoping for an offside call way too often... and not taking into account the cutters... the score could have been much worse than it was...
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 11:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Who was the team in red and white check today? Or maybe it was the fans in red and white check. I may have just noticed it briefly on the screens in a restaurant when we had lunch. Was curious.

It was probably Czech (red) vs Turkey (white).
Old 06-22-2016, 02:40 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulak View Post
It was probably Czech (red) vs Turkey (white).
The fans were wearing red and white squares, so I don't think it was for both teams.
Old 06-22-2016, 04:33 AM   #14
Administrator

That was a whooping last night. The U.S. was outplayed from the start.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:40 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
That was a whooping last night. The U.S. was outplayed from the start.
we need to stick to real football
Old 06-22-2016, 07:56 AM   #16
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
we need to stick to real football
That's what we're doing in this thread.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:06 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I think we are so far behind the rest of the world we'll never really be competitive...well at least not in the next 20 years

We would destroy any international team that put pads on...just sayin
Old 06-22-2016, 08:26 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
The fans were wearing red and white squares, so I don't think it was for both teams.

Got it. It's Croatia. I had to search on Google. Here's a site with jersey images: http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2014/...t-worst-photos

Interestingly enough, if you search for "soccer fans red white squares," this thread is the first hit. I had to modify the query to "checkered jersey." Amazing how quickly Google indexes websites.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:27 AM   #19
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
I think we are so far behind the rest of the world we'll never really be competitive...well at least not in the next 20 years
The US men's soccer team may not be among the world's half-dozen elite, but it is competitive and would do fairly well in the Euro competition underway. What we saw last night was not so much that the US played poorly, more like Argentina showed why it is among the best in the world. No shame in that loss, painful as it was.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:57 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think any team could have outplayed Argentina last night. What a great game to watch.