Join Early Retirement Today

Great weekend for college football
Old 11-28-2017, 05:42 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Great weekend for college football

This weekend will be a really great weekend to see who will go to the college playoffs . my picks .

Big 10 OSU vs Wisconsin ( Ohio state )
ACC Clemson VS Miami ( Miami )
SEC Auburn Vs Georga (Auburn)
Big 12 Oklahoma VS TCU ( TCU in a major upset )
Pac 10 USC VS Stan ( Stanford )

The NCAA committee will have a major headache Saturday night ..who gets in .

Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2017, 05:49 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wisconsin
Clemson
Auburn
Oklahoma
Stanford

RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:50 PM   #3
Administrator

Sorry to disagree. Next weekend is the finest weekend in all of college football. It's the Army-Navy game.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:49 PM   #4

I'll take Auburn and Miami, only because they beat my 2 favorite teams to hate-FSU and Bama.

While the games are interesting, I'm more interested in the intrigue around head coaching changes.

Locally, the Florida change is overdue (alumni are still pining for a repeat of the mid-90's under Spurrier or Urban Meyer's success about 10 years later with a team he didn't recruit), and Tallahassee is stressing over the apparently imminent departure of Jimbo Fisher, who was blessed by the hand of god (Bobby Bowden).

Beyond my immediate parochial concerns, the SEC annual coaching shuffle is always fun to watch, as it usually has spill-over effects on the conferences wishing they could be as good as the SEC
Old 11-28-2017, 11:14 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
I'll take Auburn and Miami, only because they beat my 2 favorite teams to hate-FSU and Bama.

While the games are interesting, I'm more interested in the intrigue around head coaching changes.

Locally, the Florida change is overdue (alumni are still pining for a repeat of the mid-90's under Spurrier or Urban Meyer's success about 10 years later with a team he didn't recruit), and Tallahassee is stressing over the apparently imminent departure of Jimbo Fisher, who was blessed by the hand of god (Bobby Bowden).

Beyond my immediate parochial concerns, the SEC annual coaching shuffle is always fun to watch, as it usually has spill-over effects on the conferences wishing they could be as good as the SEC
We went out to eat Saturday night and it was pretty quiet in the Cracker Barrel. Lots of frowning faces after Auburn played such a strong game.

Looks like some serious future severance pay is going to be paid in the SEC. Took bad the university presidents won't be looking for jobs for giving the terminated coaches such large contracts with bad termination clauses.

Looks like the winners may be the attorney-agents that represent so many SEC coaches. They will continue to be paid by the unemployed coaches. And they may be picking up on new coaches.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:59 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Wisconsin
Miami
Auburn
Oklahoma
Stanford

And on the last part.... you are right... the committee will have some tough decisions to make and there will be a lot of hand ringing and second guessing.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:03 AM   #7

The real question is, who will be in the CFP. A conference championship doesn't necessarily mean a ticket to the dance.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:15 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
The real question is, who will be in the CFP. A conference championship doesn't necessarily mean a ticket to the dance.
You are correct. With this committee it seems that being a member of the SEC gets you extra points every week.

On Wisconsin!
erkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:02 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Sorry to disagree. Next weekend is the finest weekend in all of college football. It's the Army-Navy game.
Houston beat Navy
Old 11-29-2017, 09:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
We went out to eat Saturday night and it was pretty quiet in the Cracker Barrel. Lots of frowning faces after Auburn played such a strong game.

Looks like some serious future severance pay is going to be paid in the SEC. Took bad the university presidents won't be looking for jobs for giving the terminated coaches such large contracts with bad termination clauses.

Looks like the winners may be the attorney-agents that represent so many SEC coaches. They will continue to be paid by the unemployed coaches. And they may be picking up on new coaches.
There are a LOT of 'Bama band-wagoners around the ATL area and seeing the disappointment has been...um, gratifying. I am not under any illusion that GA will beat Auburn, but it would be nice to see...and I think if Kerryon Johnson sits out, then Georgia has a decent chance of winning. I am happy with whoever wins...since 'Bama will be sitting at home and watching.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:11 AM   #11

I am wondering how The Ohio state Buckeyes will do the wiggle to get into the playoffs .

Kind of sad on Mike Schiano getting axed at Tennessee before the ink could dry. But heck this is big money !

10 million for Jon Gruden at Tennessee and he laughed .
Old 11-29-2017, 01:33 PM   #12
gone traveling

Miami? Really? They're gonna get choked with that turnover chain...

Clemson #1 Go Tigers!
Pilot2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 04:09 PM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
Houston beat Navy
True but irrelevant. A successful season need only include beating Army. Anything else is just gravy
Old 11-29-2017, 04:13 PM   #14

I think Miami will slip by Clemson by 7 points
OSU by 17 over Wisc.
Auburn 17 over Georgia
TCU 4 over Oklahoma
Stanford 4 over USC
Old 11-29-2017, 07:26 PM   #15
gone traveling

Miami has lost their top 3 Offensive producers. Clemson has been without 3 of it's starting defensive core (1 lineman, 1 LB, and 1 DB)that are all back this weekend. I think Clemson wins 28 - 14.
Auburn wins 31-24
Oklahoma wins 34-21
Pilot2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 04:01 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

This has been a crazy year in college football with many upsets and it makes me think what a farce the AP/coaches polls are week after week. It comes down to game plan, injuries, and whether a team really shows up.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:30 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a social function Saturday, early evening. Or maybe, I am starting to get the flu.
Z3Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 04:54 PM   #18

I could see Clemson winning , but I just have a feeling Miami could have a good day.

Oklahoma VS TCU , I think TCU will throw everything but the kitchen sink at Baker Mayfield . Look for him to get injured.

Ohio State is already lobbying big time because they are confident to beat Wisc. I see a fast one coming . JT Barrett is going to play so Wisc. will scheme for him . He will leave the game early and another QB enters , someone Wisc. has no tape on. This could be the dagger for Wisc.

Of course Alabama is still there , I would Love to see Georgia Win . If Wisc. And Georgia win I will probably celebrate !
Old 11-30-2017, 06:47 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Woo Hoo Go Clemson!!!
Ok, just had to put that in there.
Other than that, I got nothing.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:24 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Big football family here. Definitely rooting for Stanford. Our goal is to see Alabama not in the playoff.
But the most important game to us....Mountain West....go Bulldogs, beat Boise!!!!

PandaBear is offline   Reply With Quote