Green technology

IndependentlyPoor

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Volkswagon wowed the Frankfurt auto show with two new ecologically minded vehicles.

Their 170 mpg diesel hybrid concept
wheels_VW-1L-front.jpg

VW Says L1 Hybrid Is ‘Most Efficient’ Car in the World - Wheels Blog - NYTimes.com
And their real-live electric car
480-vw-eup.jpg

VW E-Up: Small, Electric … and Happy - Wheels Blog - NYTimes.com

Audi and Mercedes both have high dollar, high technology diesel wagons on the market now.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/20/automobiles/autoreviews/20diesels.html

From the article:
These modern diesels, most of them using on-board urea to neutralize smog-forming pollutants, meet nationwide emissions standards, are relatively quiet and start without swearing.
On-board urea reservoir? Ut-oh, snickering begins.

Later:
...and periodically filling the urea reservoir...
Bwaa,ha,ha. I wonder if that is a user serviceable function and if there is any, um, natural substitute for the urea additive? The mind boggles.:2funny:

I wonder if that is a user serviceable function and if there is any, um, natural substitute for the urea additive? The mind boggles.:2funny:
One of our local risqué radio stations has a DJ named "PiPi", and he's sponsoring a gasoline give-away contest for the listeners.

So their tag line is "Put PiPi in your tank!" I guess the diesel mechanics beat them to it...

I do like the idea of a diesel as I understand they can run forever. And I like the Audi Q7 as I have always been kinda partial to station wagons as they harken back to my childhood and also to my Mom-mobile days. I wonder if it comes in celery green? I am a bit put off by the caveat in the NYT article about practically committing the owner's manual to memory. I never read those. I just wait for the warning lights on the dashboard(ha, ha). I also don't like the idea of trolling gas stations for diesel availability. On second thought, I better stick to more conventional car options...and cultivating a more thrifty attitude for ER.

Back
Top Bottom