Grim milestone of 4,000 deaths

Wags

Full time employment: Posting here.
The CNN article - Grim milestone: 4,000 U.S. service employees dead in Iraq war

Grim milestone: 4,000 U.S. service employees dead in Iraq war - CNN.com

Here are some sites that "HONORS OUR FALLEN HEROES"

Honor the fallen: Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom casualties

Faces of Valor

Forces: U.S. & Coalition/Casualties - Special Reports from CNN.com (list of casualties & POW/MIA)

GOD BLESS US ALL

Wags ,

If we want to keep our way of happy driving around on the Interstate Highway system and not build the railroads we will need to keep a police station in the middle east. Iraq is it I am afraid!

Here's Some Numbers:

World War I: 116,708 US combat deaths
World War II: 418,500 US combat deaths
Korea: 54,426 US combat deaths
Vietnam: 58,219 US combat deaths
Iraq War: 4,000 US combat deaths

If the outrage that we should NOT have gone to Iraq, may I offer that we probably should NOT have gotten involved in Korea, Vietnam,or World War I either:confused:

I am NOT making light of it, I lost relatives in World War II, Korea, and Vietnam.........:(

If the outrage that we should NOT have gone to Iraq, may I offer that we probably should NOT have gotten involved in Korea, Vietnam,or World War I either

I can't really speak to Korea or WW I, but "probably not" is clearly way, waaay off for the Viet Nam military involvement.

Here's Some Numbers:

World War I: 116,708 US combat deaths
World War II: 418,500 US combat deaths
Korea: 54,426 US combat deaths
Vietnam: 58,219 US combat deaths
Iraq War: 4,000 US combat deaths

If the outrage that we should NOT have gone to Iraq, may I offer that we probably should NOT have gotten involved in Korea, Vietnam,or World War I either:confused:

I am NOT making light of it, I lost relatives in World War II, Korea, and Vietnam.........:(

Just tells me we are getting soft as a nation.

I can't really speak to Korea or WW I, but "probably not" is clearly way, waaay off for the Viet Nam military involvement.

I disagree, but that's ok...........:)

Just tells me we are getting soft as a nation.
One of the things that aided the decline of Rome was growing distaste for stopping barbarians at the gate. Many nations and empires in history which rose to the pinnacle of civilization traced similar a path with relation to rise and fall. They got dumb, fat and happy.

When an empire is on top, many enemies have their sights on you. But at the same time, the empire tends to think it's "evolved past the violence" that helped it attain preeminence.

One of the things that aided the decline of Rome was growing distaste for stopping barbarians at the gate. Many nations and empires in history which rose to the pinnacle of civilization traced similar a path with relation to rise and fall. They got dumb, fat and happy.

When an empire is on top, many enemies have their sights on you. But at the same time, the empire tends to think it's "evolved past the violence" that helped it attain preeminence.

Darn good post. At least 90% of the civilized world would like nothing more than to see the US fail................:p

Darn good post. At least 90% of the civilized world would like nothing more than to see the US fail................:p
I disagree. The economies of most civilized countries are directly tied to ours. When we fail they fail.

I disagree. The economies of most civilized countries are directly tied to ours. When we fail they fail.
True, I suppose. More correctly I don't think they want the U.S. to *suddenly* and *precipitously* fail. But I do think many of these civilized nations, including many which are "allies," would like to see the U.S. become less dominant over time. (Wasn't that one of the primary driving factors behind the creation of the EU and the Euro?)

Sure, if you told them they could have their dominance over the U.S. with an American economic crash that brought them down too, they may recognize this as a Pyrrhic victory and decline. But if they had a chance to "close the gap" 5% a year, and after 20 years reach parity with the U.S. and then pull ahead by 3% a year, some of them would probably love that.

True, I suppose. More correctly I don't think they want the U.S. to *suddenly* and *precipitously* fail. But I do think many of these civilized nations, including many which are "allies," would like to see the U.S. become less dominant over time. (Wasn't that one of the primary driving factors behind the creation of the EU and the Euro?)

It still is interesting to me that Britain didn't join the EU.............

Sure, if you told them they could have their dominance over the U.S. with an American economic crash that brought them down too, they may recognize this as a Pyrrhic victory and decline. But if they had a chance to "close the gap" 5% a year, and after 20 years reach parity with the U.S. and then pull ahead by 3% a year, some of them would probably love that.

Some of them are already calling victory based on the Euro to USD ratio.........;)

NBC News article - U.S. death toll in Iraq reaches 4,000 - White House calls milestone 'a sober moment'

U.S. death toll in Iraq hits 4,000 - Conflict in Iraq - MSNBC.com

Excerpts from the article

The White House called the grim milestone “a sober moment” and said President Bush spends time every day thinking about those who have lost their lives in battle.

“He bears the responsibility for the decisions that he made,” White House press secretary Dana Perino said. “He also bears the responsibility to continue to focus on succeeding.”

End of excerpts.

It is indeed a grim milestone and I hope that Old George W and Dick Cheney will reflect on how their decisions, actions and half truths have impacted the lives of OUR TROOPS and their families. :angel:

What constitues success? And when will the American people know what the goalpost is for success? When will that success be achieved? Is Old George W's plan for success to hand off the Iraq War to the next President?

Maybe a few nights in a foxhole will help them find a solution. Oh, I forgot that both of these fine men did not go fight in Vietnam when they were afforded the opportunity.

GOD BLESS US ALL :angel:

Ahhh...we can always count on Wags to try to stir up trouble related to the heroic efforts of our military forces that are protecting his/her right to post his/her venom here.

Last edited:
This is the second thread where a troll has used the death of American soldiers. In the first I said. 'However, IMHO, anyone that would use the death of Americans just to troll a bulletin board is lower than pond scum!'

I have not changed my mind.

NBC News article - U.S. death toll in Iraq reaches 4,000 - White House calls milestone 'a sober moment'

U.S. death toll in Iraq hits 4,000 - Conflict in Iraq - MSNBC.com

Excerpts from the article

The White House called the grim milestone “a sober moment” and said President Bush spends time every day thinking about those who have lost their lives in battle.

“He bears the responsibility for the decisions that he made,” White House press secretary Dana Perino said. “He also bears the responsibility to continue to focus on succeeding.”

End of excerpts.

It is indeed a grim milestone and I hope that Old George W and Dick Cheney will reflect on how their decisions, actions and half truths have impacted the lives of OUR TROOPS and their families. :angel:

What constitues success? And when will the American people know what the goalpost is for success? When will that success be achieved? Is Old George W's plan for success to hand off the Iraq War to the next President?

Maybe a few nights in a foxhole will help them find a solution. Oh, I forgot that both of these fine men did not go fight in Vietnam when they were afforded the opportunity.

GOD BLESS US ALL :angel:

BTW, wags, I am convinced the "Lost in Space" robot was REALLY a robot, and not a guy dressed up in a robot suit with his arms covered in vacuum cleaner hose..........;)

If you couldn't make sense out of that, then we're even, as your post on this thread makes about as much sense.............:rolleyes:

BTW, wags, I am convinced the "Lost in Space" robot was REALLY a robot, and not a guy dressed up in a robot suit with his arms covered in vacuum cleaner hose..........;)

If you couldn't make sense out of that, then we're even, as your post on this thread makes about as much sense.............:rolleyes:

:2funny: Yes, I got it. :LOL: I guess that this would mean that you are Will Robinson, Mickeyd is Dr. Smith and Rustic23 is Penny. Or did I get it wrong and one of you characters is the monkey?

GOD BLESS US ALL:angel::angel:

Last edited:
is there still a government imposed blackout on the media showing pictures of returning caskets containing american dead in this fight for freedom?

1041051_e0221d8016.jpg

pic credit: By A-Wix on Flickr

Last edited:
is there still a government imposed blackout on the media showing pictures of returning caskets containing american dead in this fight for freedom?

1041051_e0221d8016.jpg

pic credit: By A-Wix on Flickr

Careful there you do not want to be called a troll, pond scum or accused of being unpatroitic because you went against the government's blackout and and you dared to show pictures of American flag draped caskets/coffins.

Even though this picture is symbolic it shows the sacrfice of OUR TROOPS and THEIR FAMILIES

GREAT POST & PICTURE:angel:

GOD BLESS US ALL:angel:

1. was a grim milestone,
2. was another grim milestone,
3. yet another grim milestone ...
n. every "n+1" is a grim milestone, and every "n" is itself an "n+1"

... don't forget the Civil War, approx 625,000! or the Philippine War, 4,196.

This is the second thread where a troll has used the death of American soldiers. In the first I said. 'However, IMHO, anyone that would use the death of Americans just to troll a bulletin board is lower than pond scum!'

I have not changed my mind.

How do you feel about the Vice President saying the men who died are VOLUNTEERS?? Get off your high horse, we all are torn apart by the deaths of our soldiers. In fact you know little of my situation, my friends who have served my students who have served and some who have not come home. I take offense to your attitude. I have never trolled this board, never. I have an opinion that if you do not like it you have the right to say what you feel. But I will respond in kind.

You Rustic are wrong, That said we do have common ground and I would debate the merits of the war with you anytime. But I hate to see our young men die in a land that looks eerily similar to the old Soviet Unions trip to Afghanistan in the 1980s.

In fact you know little of my situation, my friends who have served my students who have served and some who have not come home. I take offense to your attitude.

You are right. I do know little of you or your friends. I only know you by the contents of your post, and, I standby what I have said. When one uses the death of American soldiers to trumpet their cause, I have little tolerance for them, be that a pro or anti war theme.

Those that serve do so for diverse reasons, as my son does. I know what he thinks about this war. I also know that should he die, the last thing he would want is the news of his death spread all over bulletin boards to expound a cause he did not believe in.

So if you have a son in the military, and god forbid he should suffer, then most certainly you will have earned the right to use his death to further your cause. However, until that point, if you choose to troll for comments using the death of American soldiers, as Wags does, then I will look for you and your friends down by the pond.

Back
Top Bottom