Join Early Retirement Today

Grim Reminder to ER as Soon as You Can
Old 06-07-2006, 05:06 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Grim Reminder to ER as Soon as You Can

I just heard that a lady that used to work next door to my office just had her second stroke, after retiring less than a year ago. She had a mild stroke earlier, but I'm told this one is worse; she is in the hospital and can't talk, etc.

I estimate she's early 60s. People like this give the best years of their lives to an employer....for what? So they can finally retire for a few months

There are worse things to be than dead...such as being a mental vegetable, or in constant pain, or dependent on others to do the simplest of things. I hope she recovers, but there is a good chance she won't.

Lesson: Bail out when you can. It's not just "how long you live," but more importantly, the quality of life. Retire while you have your good health.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Grim Reminder to ER as Soon as You Can
Old 06-07-2006, 05:14 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

That is a fact. Most people just keep putting one foot in front of another till they step in the grave.

Do something with your life besides making a living if you can before your time runs out.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:46 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

... and even ERers have high blood pressure. Strokes typically come from high blood pressure - DWs was 170/9x usually - now on meds and under 120/78 - mine is 122/78 day in and day out without meds - saw the Dr last week and she wants to watch it Apparently, now over 120 is cause for concern or, at least, interest. I'm not on pills but she wants me to lose 5 lbs.

A reminder
Take your blood pressure, go to the store or get a meter (under $50)
If you have HBP, take the meds

lets beat high blood pressure and strokes

JohnP
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote