Grocery Stores: The Future?

I'll give Kroger credit for one thing in particular. They spend a lot developing their own brand ("Private Selection") and I happen to know one of the people who run that part of their business. Very impressive operation, and in the last nearly 30 years of shopping there, I have never found a Private Selection product that wasn't at least as good as the nationally advertised competitor, sometimes better. The price differential is just a bonus, so I never hesitate to reach for those items.

I've always been willing to try the store brands. My ex couldn't believe that I actually preferred the store brand of an iced tea powder mix because (to me) it tasted better than the national brand. She actually said "Well, it costs more so it must be better.":facepalm:

This topic is explored in the book "Predictably Irrational" that I found very entertaining. Coffee brewed in the same pot is generally perceived as being much better tasting in a silver cup than a paper cup.

And not too long ago I asked a grocery store employee for help finding an item and when she found it asked if I wanted the store brand or the national one - I said "the store brand, it's probably packed at the same place anyway". She then said that her brother had worked in a canning factory canning vegetables like corn, string beans, peas, etc. and that the only thing different on any of those cans was the label - same canning production line and same cans for the store brand and Green Giant or whatever.

her brother had worked in a canning factory canning vegetables like corn, string beans, peas, etc. and that the only thing different on any of those cans was the label

Many years ago when I first met my friend (who is about to retire from Kroger), I mentioned that I really liked a particular kind of cookie. She asked if I bought the national brand or the store brand. I said i had tried them both and didn't see any difference. She laughed and told me there was only one factory in the US that made that particular cookie. The packaging was the only difference.

T
They also have another store brand (can't remember the name offhand) at a much lower price point, but the quality isn't quite there so I avoid those.

Ahh, that surely must be the Kroger "Cost-Cutter" beer :LOL:, saved me a small fortune during college days. That and "Big Jug" brand beer in the 2 liter plastic bottle.

_B

Back
Top Bottom