Join Early Retirement Today

Guess I am eating all the candy this year
Old 10-31-2015, 05:26 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

River is predicted to crest at 17.5 feet which puts about 2 feet of water in the road through our neighborhood (house was safe in a 24 foot flood so no worries).

I am thinking zero trick or treaters

On a side note, how cool would it be to have a Halloween party where you dress up as Charon and ferry people to your house. Or even better, automate the ferry with an animatronic Charon and computer controlled boat.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2015, 06:01 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Drones would work. Have the kids stand on the other side of the road, hold out their buckets and the drone drops in the candy of their choice.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 06:01 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Stay safe and dry.

We don't get any treaters anymore. No more kids in the neighborhood. Still have to buy candy just in case.
Old 10-31-2015, 06:40 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I'm worried about the huge bag of candy DW picked up. We need to get rid of it or I will be unable to resist. We get tons of trick or treaters but our Halloween tradition is that my grand-kids, nieces, and nephews come over and DW and I cook a dinner and go trick or treating with them. The question is, will enough kids knock on the door for us to get rid of the stash before we go out? How much candy to buy is a hard to solve dilemma every year.
Old 10-31-2015, 06:58 AM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
River is predicted to crest at 17.5 feet which puts about 2 feet of water in the road through our neighborhood (house was safe in a 24 foot flood so no worries).

I am thinking zero trick or treaters
Hope you stay dry and give out lots of candy..

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 08:36 AM   #6

You still have candy left?
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 09:12 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I'm worried about the huge bag of candy DW picked up. We need to get rid of it or I will be unable to resist. We get tons of trick or treaters but our Halloween tradition is that my grand-kids, nieces, and nephews come over and DW and I cook a dinner and go trick or treating with them. The question is, will enough kids knock on the door for us to get rid of the stash before we go out? How much candy to buy is a hard to solve dilemma every year.
I always have trouble with this question. We get a lot of trick or treaters (in the 100s I'd say). One year, we ran out of candy. One year, we had a lot left over. I buy about $50 worth of candy. I'm fretting about the amount of candy we have this year. I wonder if there will be more trick or treaters since Halloween falls on a Saturday. The weather is supposed to be pretty mild too (upper 40s/low 50s).
hausfrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 10:44 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

We have torrential rains and flooding predicted for tonight. So, local officials urged families to do their trick-or-treating last night, instead, in the interests of not having to rescue drowning trick-or-treaters I guess.

Some decided to trick-or-treat last night, some tonight, I'm sure.

My new neighborhood was built around 1958-1962 and most of homes are occupied by the original owners, who are older than dirt by now. So, usually there are no trick-or-treaters and I didn't buy any candy. I sat in the dark last night anyway, just in case, and I plan to do the same tonight.

The rain hasn't started yet. My house has never flooded so like Fermion I'm not worried about that.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 02:47 PM   #9

While we get trick-or-treaters, it's a tough call to guess how many. Some years lots, some years very few. We bought lots of candy and the "Plan B" for the leftovers is to take them to DW's grandniece's birthday party next week. If there's any left by then....
Old 10-31-2015, 03:13 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

LOL the prediction is 17.5 feet and the river is currently over 19 feet. Three feet of water around our house and in the road.

THE CANDY IS ALL MINE!

(I did tell my wife that if some kid manages to make it to our front door tonight, I am giving him an entire bag of candy)
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 03:22 PM   #11

No rain here in San Diego. Some new families on the block with little kids. I expect around 50 kids - not as many as the top of our hill... we're on a hill and the houses are on large lots (relatively speaking for a city) - so there is more effort to go door to door than just a block away at the top of the hill (where it's level and the lots are a bit smaller.) The "packs" of kids tend to stay up there and we get locals, and friends of locals.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:55 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I got 9 kids. I'd purchased an 80-count bag, so I was handing out 2-4 to each kid and still have a lot left over. One of my friends in a neighborhood just a few minutes away got hundreds of kids. Apparently a large portion of the city packs up their kids into the car and descends on his neighborhood, they don't even bothering visiting the homes in their own neighborhood.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
FI by 2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 11:07 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Normally we get about 15 kids, except when its on a Saturday and then last time we got 90 !
So of course DW bugged me to buy more more more!
I picked up an extra 36 bags of vegetable chips.
Well it rained and rained and rained, so we got 22 kids.
Now we have about 200 tiny chocolate bars to eat....

We did learn out lesson years ago, we only buy candy we would eat, so its pretty nice to give out.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 04:18 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I haven't had any kids come by in years. It was poring rain so I doubt many were out anywhere in my town.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:06 AM   #15
Administrator

It was a a good Halloween here. We got about 100 kids last night, and managed to get rid of almost all the candy.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:01 AM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Only had 2 groups of kids last night. The homes here are too spread out, not very efficient when you're trying to fill up the candy bag.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 06:16 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

We gave out about 100 pieces of candy before we left. DD stayed at the house after we left and gave out another hundred or so. We walked with the grandkids up to East Capitol Street where residents host big parties to which attendees bring candy. They literally hand out thousands of pieces. My favorite house of the night was a Jurassic Park theme. Those T-Rexes have people inside. The gate had the JPark entrance logo, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Haloween! 052.jpg (515.3 KB, 8 views)
Old 11-01-2015, 06:33 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Only had 2 groups of kids last night. The homes here are too spread out, not very efficient when you're trying to fill up the candy bag.
What- their parents don't drive them?

We were new to this neighborhood and were told the average was 40. I bought a bag of 150 mini-candy bars at Costco, gave 2 to most kids, and have 46 left.

I have really mixed feelings about Halloween. Some of the little kids WERE cute and nearly all said "Thank you". I didn't see as many gangs of kids who are way too old for trick-or-treating as we did in the last place- but I still don't like people bringing their kids in by car from elsewhere. Never did. We live in a neighborhood of nice houses around a small lake and I think we had plenty of "aliens" because we have sidewalks, the houses are fairly close together and we give out good stuff.

A site called NextDoor.com posted a list of the 10 best neighborhoods in our area for trick-or-treating yesterday AM on FaceBook. Apparently you could indicate your address and whether you were offering treats on their Web site and they mined the data to produce the list. I read the comments. The residents were NOT amused.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 06:40 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

It rained all day here, so trick-or-treaters stayed home in droves. We have a ton left too (250 pieces?) but DW will take it to work and it will disappear in a few hours. We certainly don't want it around the house...

At least most of the kids who came around were younger legit trick-or-treaters. The rain must have discouraged the high school slacker trick-or-treat "kids," as we had fewer of them this year. Some of them don't even have costumes, presumably because their parents wouldn't approve. I give them 1 piece of candy, where the younger kids get a handful.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 06:56 AM   #20

First Halloween in our new home, so we had no idea what to expect. Bought 200 little candy bars and had zero visitors. Apparently we're a little too far off the beaten track for them, and no little kids on our block.

Now I have to find a good home for all that stuff -- far too many calories to keep around the house.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote