Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-23-2009, 10:10 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

It is nice to see that many no longer know who ***** is. He was the first banned. He is why we have moderators. Bizarre threats have been made against our founder.

For those who want a taste, there is an entire message board devoted to trolling him and him trolling back: Rob Bennett's Best of Hocomania Discussion Forum - Index

Don't stay long, it isn't healthy.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2009, 10:21 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I had no clue either. And I shall remain blissfully ignorant.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:41 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Unfortunately I know who he is. I'm too young to be an old timer...
Old 06-23-2009, 10:42 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
It is nice to see that many no longer know who ***** is. He was the first banned. He is why we have moderators. Bizarre threats have been made against our founder.

For those who want a taste, there is an entire message board devoted to trolling him and him trolling back: Rob Bennett's Best of Hocomania Discussion Forum - Index

Don't stay long, it isn't healthy.
God......I wasted all this time to find out it was about this guy?
Old 06-23-2009, 10:48 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
God......I wasted all this time to find out it was about this guy?
Save your forehead. The last few days have made it feel like you'll need to save it for other things....
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:53 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

There's a link on abcnews.com if anyone is interested. You can also google him and pull up his webpage for a link to the abcnews.com video. His 10 sound byte bullet points all made sense in a generic "personal finance" way.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:55 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I figured out who it was on the way to the library . I was originally thinking JG .
Old 06-23-2009, 10:56 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Unfortunately I know who he is. I'm too young to be an old timer...
Yeah, I know too. But, I'm too old to be a young timer.

I wonder if he's had pancakes for breakfast lately?
Old 06-23-2009, 11:48 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Just watched it and I guess I'm missing something by not having the "history" of him on this board.

I thought that was fine and no different than the slightly higher caffeine level of Kramer or Orman. Just someone's approach.

I did look into the archives and see that he was a lightning rod here but in that process I learned a lot about some of the posters still here.

Interesting to say the least. Here is a post that "*****" posted back in 2004:
----------------------------
The New Luxuries
Old 06-23-2009, 01:36 PM   #30

Gawd, that is a ***** worthy rant for sure--he was famous for those long-winded dissertations that lost all but the most desperate for reading material to give up and wander away.

A total, complete, certifiable nutjob. I'm glad that so few remember his antics and ravings. The other (Greaney) board certainly had more than its fair share of his rants and raves.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:03 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PX4sc40sw View Post
Just watched it and I guess I'm missing something by not having the "history" of him on this board.

I thought that was fine and no different than the slightly higher caffeine level of Kramer or Orman. Just someone's approach.

I did look into the archives and see that he was a lightning rod here but in that process I learned a lot about some of the posters still here.

Interesting to say the least. Here is a post that "*****" posted back in 2004:
----------------------------
Many people associate saving money with sacrifice..... .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Gawd, that is a ***** worthy rant for sure--he was famous for those long-winded dissertations that lost all but the most desperate for reading material to give up and wander away.

A total, complete, certifiable nutjob. I'm glad that so few remember his antics and ravings. The other (Greaney) board certainly had more than its fair share of his rants and raves.
Rant? It didn't look like a 'rant' to me. Long-winded, yes, but it didn't lose me. Looks like the start of a chapter to a book, but that isn't unique to this forum.

I came in early enough to hear more negative references to the guy, but late enough to not see many of his posts. I thought that one was pretty good actually. In fact, this line captures my feelings very well:

Quote:
But only those who have put aside substantial amounts of savings early in life feel free to take the risks needed to take full advantage of the new opportunities. Possession of a savings cushion allowing one to take risks not viable for most others has become a luxury.
I looked at having the savings as very liberating. And worth more to me than some of the "stuff" I could have been buying.

But it's a personal decision. I don't care if someone else decides to live in the "here and now" financially, just don't come asking me for a handout when the good times end, and you can't find your cushion, because you spent it. Don't come looking for mine.

-ERD50
Old 06-23-2009, 03:19 PM   #32

Quote:
Yeah, we had his Hocomania on his Motley Fool board, too. Of course, at one point Greaney started getting really political on that TMF-board, most of the group disagreed with his politics, he basically changed the name of the board, vanished from that board and the place has been probably 80-90% politics ever since... (sigh)
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:28 PM   #33

ERD, trust me. There may have been a couple of useful nuggets in there, but nothing to make it worth having to read through the endless ravings of ***** that occurred on a regular basis everywhere he goes.
But you can always check out his rantings on other boards--(he calls anyone who doesn't agree with him a goon) if you have a lot of time to waste and a few extra brain cells to donate.
I'm getting hives just thinking about him.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 04:58 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Could somebody please post a link to the Ho*us interview. I am pretty sure I've never heard the guys voice only read his pearls of wisdom. Over at the Fool board, being a tolerant sort it took me a while to recognize that he was a nut case. Of course I used to debate the Berkeley street people also.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:58 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Check your PMs. If you already have it, sorry for the duplicate.

Just an aside, the guy handled that interview on national TV with a lot of polish. Putting aside the hearsay of some posters on this board, I would never have guessed he let anonymous posters goad him into tit-for-tat.

He handled himself much better than 99% of elected politicians and CEOs of car companies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Could somebody please post a link to the Ho*us interview. I am pretty sure I've never heard the guys voice only read his pearls of wisdom. Over at the Fool board, being a tolerant sort it took me a while to recognize that he was a nut case. Of course I used to debate the Berkeley street people also.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:01 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Just google Rob bennett on ABC news and it will pop up . He looks amazingly sane and it is a pretty bland interview . I was expecting much more craziness .
Old 06-23-2009, 06:04 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

He has podcasts on his website.

For those who are looking at a few things and find him not so bad, it takes a while to figure out how difficult he really was. Most of us gave him the benefit of the doubt but finally there was no choice but to ban him. Worst internet troll ever. Ask the Bogleheads.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 06:53 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
ERD, trust me. There may have been a couple of useful nuggets in there, but nothing to make it worth having to read through the endless ravings ....
Quote:
For those who are looking at a few things and find him not so bad, it takes a while to figure out how difficult he really was....
Oh, I don't doubt it. I saw enough varied posters speak negatively, and I think I saw one or two long, windy-twisty posts from him and I didn't care to look further.

I was just saying that that particular quote was pretty good actually (though long). And the interview was actually pretty good - better (or at least a bit different) than most of the "money saving tips experts" on TV (OK, that's not saying much).

It started out kind blah for me (save $100,000 to start, or less!), but getting the idea out to look at the cost of something in after-tax $, or in hours worked was good, and not so common (not new though, I'm sure), he touched on the 4% guide (x25), and the pay yourself LAST was interesting, counter to the usual advice, and I think there is merit to that, though he didn't have time to get into it, (nor do I, dinner calls!).

all, IMO - ERD50
Old 06-23-2009, 07:17 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Oh, I don't doubt it. I saw enough varied posters speak negatively, and I think I saw one or two long, windy-twisty posts from him and I didn't care to look further.

I was just saying that that particular quote was pretty good actually (though long). And the interview was actually pretty good - better (or at least a bit different) than most of the "money saving tips experts" on TV (OK, that's not saying much).

It started out kind blah for me (save $100,000 to start, or less!), but getting the idea out to look at the cost of something in after-tax $, or in hours worked was good, and not so common (not new though, I'm sure), he touched on the 4% guide (x25), and the pay yourself LAST was interesting, counter to the usual advice, and I think there is merit to that, though he didn't have time to get into it, (nor do I, dinner calls!).

all, IMO - ERD50
Did he mention the part about receiving a large inheritance?
Old 06-23-2009, 07:18 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
He has podcasts on his website.

For those who are looking at a few things and find him not so bad, it takes a while to figure out how difficult he really was. Most of us gave him the benefit of the doubt but finally there was no choice but to ban him. Worst internet troll ever. Ask the Bogleheads.
I strongly urge anyone interested to go to his website and listen to his ~120 hours of podcasts.