Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-23-2009, 06:26 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I strongly urge anyone interested to go to his website and listen to his ~120 hours of podcasts.
Sadist!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2009, 06:31 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Did he mention the part about receiving a large inheritance?

Is that how he got his wealth?

Reminds me of the old joke: What's the easiest way to make a million bucks on Wall Street?

Start with two!
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:58 PM   #43
Dryer sheet wannabe

I am totally friggin lost on this whole thing....huh??
BlondieMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:02 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I strongly urge anyone interested to go to his website and listen to his ~120 hours of podcasts.
This is very good concise advice, listen to Khan! I absolutely hit the wall at 1.5 podcasts.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:15 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Hey, did everyone miss the other nugget in there? -

http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerIndex?id=7884664

Jeff Yeager - "The Ultimate Cheapskate" had a clip on the same page. Nice to see he is getting some publicity for his book. He did well.

Quote:
I'll pass, thanks

Quote:
Did he mention the part about receiving a large inheritance?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Is that how he got his wealth?
That doesn't mean he can't have good advice. I thought most of what was in that clip was quite good. Maybe he does better when he is under strict, outside controlled time constraints .

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:22 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

I just looked at the Hoc clip. Looked good to me. Much of what he said focused on the psychology of saving which is pretty much beside the point for misers, but central to what the average person has to struggle with when he starts to save.

Another little Hoc tidbit- many of us including me might have more money today if we had followed his suggestion to buy TIPS and wait for a truly low risk opportunity for equity investment.

Both he and JWR were their own worst enemies, Hoc because he was boring and JWR because he was incomprehensible. But neither of them was dumb, trivial or poorly informed.

Ha
Old 06-23-2009, 09:40 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Good take on it all ha.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:45 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I just looked at the Hoc clip. Looked good to me. Much of what he said focused on the psychology of saving which is pretty much beside the point for misers, but central to what the average person has to struggle with when he starts to save.

Another little Hoc tidbit- many of us including me might have more money today if we had followed his suggestion to buy TIPS and wait for a truly low risk opportunity for equity investment.

Both he and JWR were their own worst enemies, Hoc because he was boring and JWR because he was incomprehensible. But neither of them was dumb, trivial or poorly informed.

Ha
My problem with him was not necessarily his advice, since there are a lot of people who's advice I don't follow. It was the endless circular logic, unsupported and unsupportable claims, massive ego, and pure windbaggery(?). He was gone by the time I got here, but I saw way to much of it on TMF and Intercst's site. He actually drove me away from both sites long before he was banned. The personality far overshadowed any good advice he might have had, not that I believe he had much anyway.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:18 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Wow a Ho*us debate and the guy hasn't been here or any other website, that I frequent in years.

How can anybody claim he was boring Look at the excitement he has generated with one short TV appearance.

As for Khan's suggestion to watch his 120 hours of podcast. Really Khan I thought you liked us.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:13 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Love the term "windbaggery", so appropriate for a fellow I was in grad school with. He had come to Caltech from MIT and every sentence began with "at MIT......". In 1971, most of us wanted to be involved in the space program and the schools were competing for the fundings.

We "banned" the guy by totally excluding him, to the point of being embarrassing to me today as I reflect on it.

Moral, he left. Went back to get his PhD at MIT and in 1973 (1 year ahead of sanctimonious moi), he got his first job, assistant to the head of the gleaming new Draper Labs technology lab. Epicenter of space exploration.

During the 1970's Dr. Windbaggery controlled the lion's share of NASA funding to independent space research. Those of us at JPL were left to beg for his munificence and hope he did not recall us. Of course, he didn't. Who were we in the grand scheme.

We can only hope ***** [moderator edit] is a miserable failure in life, either that or doesn't remember us if he becomes head of Retirement Forum Control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
My problem with him was not necessarily his advice, since there are a lot of people who's advice I don't follow. It was the endless circular logic, unsupported and unsupportable claims, massive ego, and pure windbaggery(?). He was gone by the time I got here, but I saw way to much of it on TMF and Intercst's site. He actually drove me away from both sites long before he was banned. The personality far overshadowed any good advice he might have had, not that I believe he had much anyway.
PX4sc40sw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:52 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PX4sc40sw View Post

We can only hope ***** [moderator edit] is a miserable failure in life, either that or doesn't remember us if he becomes head of Retirement Forum Control.

A friend of my is FOB (friend of Barrack) and she just emailed me that Rob is about to be named President Obama's retirement czar. Evidently Larry Summer's read Passion Saving and was very impressed.

Most of you are doomed. But Rob remember me I was always one of your biggest defenders, I love you man.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:48 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Y'all are too funny. I did like reading the goon section on his website, brought back such good memories of his insane ranting on the SWR.

Ha, as always, you have a great take on the situation. Thanks very much for the insight. You as well, Harley. In the heat of recalling his insanity, I forgot that he did have a couple of decent points under all that madness.

But now, having printed his name, he will be lurking around on here again--he googles his name (and hoc) all the time to make sure people are still talking about him. Waking up the monster, I tell ya!

Khan, you are a crazy person to suggest such a thing as watching all those podcasts!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:38 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

ClifP, put in a word for me. I don't deserve what might be headed for the rest of this crowd. Please.

My connection is part of Team Barrack, the ballers. I got a hook in with Reggie Love and he says "that Rob is gonna be the starting point guard". Yep, the guy running the show. Even Barrack will take orders from the "manic-man".

Doomed, I say doomed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
A friend of my is FOB (friend of Barrack) and she just emailed me that Rob is about to be named President Obama's retirement czar. Evidently Larry Summer's read Passion Saving and was very impressed.

Most of you are doomed. But Rob remember me I was always one of your biggest defenders, I love you man.
PX4sc40sw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:07 AM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

As for Khan's suggestion to watch his 120 hours of podcast. Really Khan I thought you liked us.
With apologies to Mitchener, "examine your ***** to see it for what it really is."
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:57 PM   #55
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I still don't get why everyone gets so worked up over him...

dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:16 PM   #56
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:

I only listened to one and he has already cured my insomnia . What a miracle worker !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:43 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
How can anybody claim he was boring Look at the excitement he has generated with one short TV appearance.
It was pretty exciting when he talked Dory into being made a moderator of his own Soapbox sandbox section of E-R.org...

His moderation imploded of its own misconduct.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:43 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Worst internet troll ever. Ask the Bogleheads.
Yep, he's the major reason for the disintigration of the Morningstar Vgd Diehards forum (plus their M* inflicted wounds). Lots of us here I'm sure are more obnoxious than *****, but he had a particular set of "gifts" that were a very bad fit for this medium.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 06:15 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

I never understood that the reason for his name censorship was because he google his own name and presumably flocks to any and all mentions of it.

His side kick JW* has pretty much ruined a pretty decent forum on M* devoted to dividend investing.

And for you newbies who are clueless as to what the ranting is all about. In this case
Ignorance is bliss, really trust us.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:50 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...And for you newbies who are clueless as to what the ranting is all about. In this case
Ignorance is bliss, really trust us.
I peeked at the video just to see what the hair was all about. I listened to the intro and then hit the stop button.
Ignorance is still superbly blissful...