Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-04-2012, 07:07 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finder View Post
For those that have two bedrooms and one of the two is a guest room, where do they keep all their paperwork, records, and random stuff to store?
I live in a condo that is a two bedroom and den. The den is where I have set up my "office". It has a large walk in closet where I have put two four drawer filing cabinets. My stuff is now way more organized than when I lived in a house.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2012, 07:08 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
The view from my condo is even nicer :-) I live two blocks away from one of the most iconic buildings of this entire nation. With a direct view on it. Sorry if this sounds presumptuous.
This thread is useless without pictures!

Old 12-04-2012, 07:10 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If I posted the view, you would not believe it. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh

This thread is useless without pictures!
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:14 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

We have a very small and simple guest room in our very small and simple home. It's already been used a few times this year when friends came to visit.

It's also handy if DH or I get a cold or something and want to sleep apart. That doesn't happen often though. We like to snuggle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00150.jpg (518.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 12-04-2012, 07:36 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Awww, come on. Post the picture of the view! I want to see it
Old 12-04-2012, 07:40 PM   #66

Now that the kids are gone, we have two guest rooms. They are used frequently. Some relatives come and stay for a weekend and then my kids and their families come at least once a month.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:40 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'll post my view if you'll post yours.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:50 PM   #68
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
I have two extra bedrooms, one with a full size bed and the other with a twin. My friends joke that these rooms serve mostly as my two really big walk-in closets for the overflow from the master bedroom.
Same here (but one is a queen and the other a twin). For the young wife, the main purpose for those rooms is extra closets. Although when one of us is sick, I will sleep in one of the guest bedrooms (usually the twin). We also have a separate office, sewing room and gym room, so those two rooms will never be anything but bedrooms.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:17 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Old 12-04-2012, 09:02 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I live in a condo that is a two bedroom and den. The den is where I have set up my "office". It has a large walk in closet where I have put two four drawer filing cabinets. My stuff is now way more organized than when I lived in a house.
Makes sense, to me that is the ideal set up. For the home office, pick a room with a walk in closet (which can be locked) and use the walking closet to house filing cabinets and other items.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:01 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
+1 Along with a Herman Miller chair to study it.
I've spent enough time in cube farms that I never want a piece of Herman Miller anything in my home...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:02 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Live in a 3-2-2 "ranch" (it is Texas, after all...), so the middle bedroom is my music room, and the third bedroom is my "guest" room, complete with full-sized bed. Doesn't get much use, but it's there.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:10 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
Guest Room - Do you have one?

Well, yes and no. I have a 'guest' room, but It's currently housing 13 RC airplanes. Either hanging from the ceiling, shelved on wall racks, or leaning against walls. #13 (9ft. wing, 7ft. fuselage) is laying across the guest bed. #s 14 and 15 (both 9 ft wings) have been relocated to hanging in the master BR.
You're not married, I can tell. This is a former avid R/C airplane enthusiast. All of my airplanes were banished to either the shop or an unused basement room in the former house.

Here we do have a rarely used guest room but there simply were no two bedroom homes where we moved to. And I think it will help the resale ability since so few people want a two bedroom house.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:24 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

I guess because I am in a growing area with families with kids, houses with 4 BR are a lot more popular than those with 3BR. Even with my first home bought in 1980, which was not that big at 1,850-sq.ft, we were talked by the builder into getting a 4-BR floor plan for easier resale. We were just married and the 1st kid did not arrive for several more years. I did not even have that much junk treasure to store in the spare bedrooms.

And yes, I was able to sell that home later at asking price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Awww, come on. Post the picture of the view! I want to see it
+1. Yes, both obgyn and Meadbh should post their view.

Here's the view from the guest BR of the boonies home. I have posted this before. It is not really "wilderness" like one would have thought. Look very closely and one can spot some tiny rooftops on the next hill.

I am not there now to take an interior photo to show that the decor is country-style, as it should be for a boonies home.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #75

I live in a 850 square foot 1 bedroom with den apartment. My guest room is an Aero-bed air mattress on the den floor.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:09 AM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

We have a 4-bedroom house but it's just my wife & I so three bedrooms go pretty much unused. One of them I use for product photography but it's flexible enough to be quickly turned into a guest room. However, I am tired of storing a bed in another room just for the once-a-year (at most) visitor. I'll be discarding the spare bed this month so anyone coming to visit will need a hotel or be happy with the floor. One of our other bedrooms (the smallest) is used just for our cats' litter boxes, so that room is unsuitable for anyone (the floor will definitely need to be replaced before we ever sell the house). The 4th bedroom is used for storage and I am slowly whittling away at the pile, trying to sell or throw away stuff.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:36 AM   #77

Well, with apologies to Antmary, our guest room view is...of the Airstream, which also doubles as guest space when needed!

I love the views posted thus far, though, which are far nicer than ours. And I'm a big fan of maps, old and new. We have a huge Natl Geo in the living room, from 1984 I think, and three atlases and two globes. Whenever we travel, we like to frame the map we used to get around as a nifty souvenir.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:07 AM   #78

I have this vintage map of Long island original from 1933. My Mom gave it to me as I was the only LI, Levittown baby. Mom decided to refinish the frame that was wormwood, so she asked my older brother to take it out back and blast it with some shotgun birdshot. I see one on Ebay $720

smithfosterli33.jpg
Old 12-05-2012, 11:17 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I've spent enough time in cube farms that I never want a piece of Herman Miller anything in my home...
I understand the sentiment but can't imagine any other way to spend more than a few minutes sitting at the desk.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:15 PM   #80

Quote:
Next you two will be playing Dr with each other