Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-28-2009, 09:44 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You really want a classical model. Much easier on the fingers. I would go to a local store and play different models. You can find a good something or other for $100. It won't get you into Carnegie Hall, but will travel well in the trunk of your car!
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2009, 08:19 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
You really want a classical model. Much easier on the fingers. I would go to a local store and play different models. You can find a good something or other for $100. It won't get you into Carnegie Hall, but will travel well in the trunk of your car!
When I was looking at guitars Janet reminded me of the tradeoff. The classical guitars have nylon strings but the necks are wider, which will require more muscle involvement to play. The steel string guitars have narrower necks, it may be harder to push down the strings but the narrower neck means less stretching.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:50 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I equate buying your first guitar with buying your first adult-sized bicycle. Since both are passions of mine, do see the similarity. I'm constantly advising new cyclists not to buy the $69 Walmart special, and I'd also recommend them to stay away from $20 guitars as well.

Kudos to those who advise you to try Craigslist or other 2nd hand avenues. I know it can be a crap shoot for a beginner or non-player to make a judgement call on an instrument, especially when you don't have the foggiest notion as to what to look for. If you can drag along a guitar playing friend, so much better. He doesn't need the musical chops of Eric Johnson...the ability to finger a few chords and strum a bit will make it a lot easier than having you making the decision.

On a Craigslist used instrument, I'd put the starting level at around $100...$200-300 or so if you're buying new from a music store. You don't need a $2000 Taylor any more than a newbie cyclist needs a $3000 Trek. I did start out years ago with a $30 nylon string classical style instrument, and yes the fingerboard is a bit wider. That said, it also gives you a fractional bit more room for fingering a chord, even though the stretch to the 6th string is a bit more. I've graduated through Yamaha, Ovation, Martin, and Lowden, but I will say that the cheapest instrument didn't really discourage me at all. If you have the passion to learn, it will over-ride the instrument quality and you'll quickly find yourself upgrading anyway.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:54 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

May I avail myself to all your superior guitar playing talent?
Any alternatives to bar chords, without using a capo, i.e. for your F, Bb, Eb, etc?
I insist, this forum is great. If only there were crime fiction fans, too....
Old 12-29-2009, 11:37 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
May I avail myself to all your superior guitar playing talent?
Any alternatives to bar chords, without using a capo, i.e. for your F, Bb, Eb, etc?
I insist, this forum is great. If only there were crime fiction fans, too....
info from Mr. bbbamI....

There are many alternatives to barre chords. I would suggest picking up a chord dictionary or go here Chord Dictionary

You'll find many different voicing for any chord. Most of the time and depending on the tune or effect you want, voicing only 3-4 notes is plenty particularly if you are playing along with another guitar player, piano, or bass player. If there is a bass player you don't need to play the root notes, the bass player is doing that. You can focus on the color tones (3,5,7,9,11,13). You can leave the 5th out most of the time unless it is altered (b5 or #5). Hope that helps.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:42 PM   #26
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post

There are many ways to play any given chord - here are a few ways to play the afore mentioned chords in the first position. They are all incomplete sounding - but will work in a pinch. really you shoudl bite the bullet and learn to play some barred chords - with time you'll get the hang of it.

Quote:
I insist, this forum is great. If only there were crime fiction fans, too...
It was a dark and stormy night. Another victim of the rusty guitar string murderer had just been found in the alley behind the only music store in town. Tucked hastily into his blood soaked shirt pocket were some handwritten chord shortcuts of unknown origin and a note....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chords.jpg (117.3 KB, 1 views)
Old 12-29-2009, 12:44 PM   #27
Dryer sheet wannabe

First post!!! I'll just throw out some food for thought. A good setup is often overlooked and can make a noticeable difference in the way a guitar plays. I've taken a few of my guitars to a guitar shop in town. They build custom guitars that costs thousands of dollars but they also do excellent setups / tuneups whatever you want to call them. I was really amazed at what they did with guitars that I was already pretty pleased with. $75 if I remember correctly.
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:54 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Janet: thanks for the info. Practicing my barres- in fact for some notes I prefer the barre to the alternative...!
BBB: say thank your from me to your husband. You´ve gpt a collection of boots and a musician for a husband ...who can ask for more?
Old 12-29-2009, 12:56 PM   #29
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad View Post
First post!!! I'll just throw out some food for thought. A good setup is often overlooked and can make a noticeable difference in the way a guitar plays. I've taken a few of my guitars to a guitar shop in town. They build custom guitars that costs thousands of dollars but they also do excellent setups / tuneups whatever you want to call them. I was really amazed at what they did with guitars that I was already pretty pleased with. $75 if I remember correctly.

I totally agree and have set up work done on my instruments as well. Welcome to the board BTW
Old 12-30-2009, 07:48 AM   #30
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hey thanks!
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:44 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
info from Mr. bbbamI....

There are many alternatives to barre chords. I would suggest picking up a chord dictionary or go here Chord Dictionary

You'll find many different voicing for any chord. Most of the time and depending on the tune or effect you want, voicing only 3-4 notes is plenty particularly if you are playing along with another guitar player, piano, or bass player. If there is a bass player you don't need to play the root notes, the bass player is doing that. You can focus on the color tones (3,5,7,9,11,13). You can leave the 5th out most of the time unless it is altered (b5 or #5). Hope that helps.
Agreed! And for a different diversion for those times when you've run into a stale moment and seem to be making no progress, take a look at alternate tunings. Playing in DADGAD tuning is a nice change. Try some of the tips that you can find in either online instruction or via a DVD. The Homespun series with Artie Traum is a good starting point!
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:04 AM   #32
Administrator

There are several online chord charts available. This one is at a site that sells lessons - but the chord charts are free and laid out in an easy to find way. Free Guitar Chords & Chord Charts