Guns and hand tremors

omni550

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I don't want this to drift into political themes, I merely have a gun question and I figured the folks here might know.

For those folks who have guns, mostly for self-protection, what happens when they develop shaky hands (tremors). Does this affect their aim?

I know of at least two people like this and am left wondering.

omni

For those folks who have guns, mostly for self-protection, what happens when they develop shaky hands (tremors). Does this affect their aim?

omni

shouldn't affect a 12 gauge that much - that's what you should be using for home defense

Have you seen a neurologist about your tremors? I was put on Primidone, and after a two week adjustment period, my tremors are gone.

Pertaining to handguns: For use inside the house, at self defense distances, in the hands of someone who has been shooting for a while, shouldn't matter. I am assuming the problem here is what they call "essential tremor." That "hand shakiness" that effects almost everyone to some degree as they age and not Parkinson's or something extreme.

On the street, I'd consider giving it up. too much liability.

For target shooting, it will after a while affect aim precision. So, it would be like golf. The worse you, the higher your handicap.

If you're talking shotgun or carbine inside the home self-defense, normal essential tremor wouldn't affect aim much at those kinds of shooting distances

Have you seen a neurologist about your tremors? I was put on Primidone, and after a two week adjustment period, my tremors are gone.

I don't have tremors nor do I own a gun. ;)

As I stated in post #1, I know a couple of people who are long-time gun owners (hand guns) and have developed hand tremors. It made me wonder how it might impact their aim.

I'm really not close enough to them to suggest seeing a neurologist.

omni

Well, after spending considerable time in the range and observing older folks, I can attest that those that practice, workaround the inabilities. I saw a guy with one arm and a terrible hip, must've been vietnam vet...I swear one leg was shorter than the other and his hand wobbled a bit as he held the firearm...but I swear to god he had the most accurate shot I'd seen in a while.

Of course shaking will affect your "ability to hit your intended target".

IMO, a little shaking at very close range probably won't make much difference but it will make a huge difference the further the target is away from you. A lot of shaking and maybe it's best not to handle a gun anymore. (Sorry about that) Only you can make that call.

Someone said it won't matter much with a 12 ga which really isn't a bad choice for home defense anyway, "IMO". Few things would be as scary to a bad guy, than hearing the action of a pump shotgun in the dark.:eek:

If you want to use a pistol "as a shotgun", then you may want to consider something like a "Taurus Defender". It's shoots 2.5" 410 shotgun shells. It will also shoot 45 Colts (a.k.a 45 Long Colts) from the same gun, if you like. (FYI, I've read that this gun is not legal to own in California)

Last edited:
Well, after spending considerable time in the range and observing older folks, I can attest that those that practice, workaround the inabilities. I saw a guy with one arm and a terrible hip, must've been vietnam vet...I swear one leg was shorter than the other and his hand wobbled a bit as he held the firearm...but I swear to god he had the most accurate shot I'd seen in a while.
DW has a unique form, not terrible but not standard.

I love watching folks show her what to do, she ignores them and shoots her way producing 1" groups. They go away quickly.

The term for this, is "Essential Tremors".

Here's an overview from Mayo.

https://mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/essential-tremor/symptoms-causes/syc-20350534

Depending on the severity, concentration on the physical movement will often be enough to stop the shaking. It's much more common than one might think. Often , sufferers control the shaking thru will power, or by holding an object or holding both hands together.

Very common in my CCRC community. For the most part not seriously debilitating.

Last edited:
<SNIP>

(FYI, I've read that this gun is not legal to own in California)

I'm shocked. Shocked! But seriously, most folks in a real-life showdown with a fire arm will be shaking anyway. It's the fight-flight response. YMMV

The term for this, is "Essential Tremors".

Depending on the severity, concentration on the physical movement will often be enough to stop the shaking. It's much more common than one might think. Often , sufferers control the shaking thru will power, or by holding an object or holding both hands together.

Very common in my CCRC community. For the most part not seriously debilitating.

Not debilitating if you don’t mind not eating or drinking! ;)
Seriously, before I was put on Primidone, I couldn’t carry a cup of coffee or eat with a fork or spoon. Yes, you can steady your hands by holding on to something or grabbing with both hands, but individual use of a hand was near impossible. Using a fork, spoon, screwdriver or writing with a pen or pencil was extremely difficult.
My Neurologist says it will worsen with age(I’m 62 next week). I only hope the medication will continue to work.

My Neurologist says it will worsen with age(I’m 62 next week). I only hope the medication will continue to work.

Sorry for your situation, and best wishes for the future. FWIW, DW was diagnosed with this about 5 years ago, and while it's a problem, the good part is that it hasn't gotten much worse and she manages to adjust, and deal with the limitations.

Sorry for your situation, and best wishes for the future. FWIW, DW was diagnosed with this about 5 years ago, and while it's a problem, the good part is that it hasn't gotten much worse and she manages to adjust, and deal with the limitations.

It is what it is. We all have to adjust to something, and this doesn’t kill us!

OP, excellent question. As others have mentioned, even mild tremors will affect shooting accuracy, but this can be somewhat overcome with regular, moderate training.

The overwhelming majority of self-defense shooting is within 7yds. If one is able to keep their hands and arms reasonably stable in such an extreme stress scenario, then a stationary, human-sized target isnt too hard to hit with a pistol. The good news is that many incidents involving weapons don’t involve a discharge; rational assailants are looking for unarmed victims. And some irrational aggressors can be scared off by a brandished weapon or a loud bang and flash.

And I concur with others that a shotgun is a ne plus ultra home defense weapon. Devastating to soft tissue, but not a lot of penetration. Errant pellets aren’t that likely to pierce walls and harm innocents.

I’m not super trained for such tactical things, but I’ve seen FBI agents train with shotguns for hours at 7yd targets. This seems weird at first, “why not just take 2 paces forward and club the perp?” But it really is the distance at which a lot of shooting takes place.

I have the Taurus "Judge" handgun which shoots 45 caliber and 410 shotgun shells. I love it because I don't have to be accurate. For home defense I use Winchester .410 defender shells which contain 3 plated defense projectiles and 12 plated BBs. I believe I will hit anything/anybody who's uninvited in my home. I have no desire to use it but I will if necessary. And yes, I have a slight hand tremor which should make very little accuracy difference with this weapon.

Age 72 with Parkinson's Disease....If my meds are taken as prescribed I can hold steady for long enough to get off 6 rounds from a revolver at distances typical of inside my house.
Can't do most semi-autos, hand strength is low.
I like the Judge, might even get one, or a 44 special with first round a snake load.

And I concur with others that a shotgun is a ne plus ultra home defense weapon. Devastating to soft tissue, but not a lot of penetration. Errant pellets aren’t that likely to pierce walls and harm innocents.

Common loads for shotguns that are worthy of considering for defensive purposes will penetrate drywall easily.

Informal "test" below.

Box of Truth Rifles, Shotguns, and Walls

Since several have mentioned the Taurus Judge/Defender, (including me) and if you decide to get one of these, "be aware" there are several different models to choose from. e.g. colors are either blue, black or satin silver, barrel lengths range from 2 to over 6 inches, choice of polymer or steel frames and either 2.5" or 3" 410 chambers. Any "good" gun store counter person should be able to easily explain the choices.

I personally have "The Judge" in 2" black polymer. The only thing I didn't like is the grip size. They are to short IMO. But that's was easily corrected by buying a set of full sized grips.

I've test fired a bunch of different brands/shotsizes of 2.5" 410 shells and 45 Colts without any issues. The gun does have some recoil but it is very manageable, IMO.

Last edited:
I think we're getting off topic but after much research I decided on a Taurus 357 revolver for home defense because even if it stays locked up in the safe for 20yrs it'll still work when I need it to work (hopefully never). Easy to grab, maneuver and handle. I keep it in a small safe (finger style combination lock) next to my bed always loaded ready to go and I use 38 spcl ammo so I don't blast through the studs etc. When I bring it camping I use the 357 ammo just in case I run into a large mammal.

In a self defense situation, it is better to have a weapon with a slight tremor than not to have a weapon at all. That is, IMHO ;)

Rich

In a self defense situation, it is better to have a weapon with a slight tremor than not to have a weapon at all. That is, IMHO ;)

Rich
+1

You only shoot at center of mass. It's not bullseye shooting.

Several people have mentioned the Judge, a good weapon. I have a Bond Arms derringer as a backup, same chamber 410/45 long colt. It's only 2 rounds, but weighs enough to throw at someone.

Last edited:
+1

I have a Bond Arms derringer as a backup, same chamber 410/45 long colt. It's only 2 rounds, but weighs enough to throw at someone.

I guess Derringer's have their place (I still have one) but they really physically hurt my hand when I shoot them. And mine is chambered for the puny 9mm. Hurts to shoot and terribly inaccurate (except maybe at point blank range). But I can see the potential value as a backup.

Last edited:
I guess Derringer's have their place (I still have one) but they really physically hurt my hand when I shoot them. And mine is chambered for the puny 9mm. Hurts to shoot and terribly inaccurate (except maybe at point blank range). But I can see the potential value as a backup.
Oh yeah. It's not fun to put too many rounds through it. Up close an personal is what they're for.

Back
Top Bottom