Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-30-2008, 01:36 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Be pretty interesting though to have the next disaster area get divided in two, let FEMA handle half and walmart handle the other half. See which one works better and costs less.
My money's on Wal-Mart.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2008, 04:23 PM   #62
Administrator

Just reporting in...

We made it safely to Jonesboro, Arkansas. Traffic was very heavy with other evacuees but moved steadily along at 55-65 mph most of the way. Frank drove his Murano, and I followed in my Solara. We communicated by cell phone, took our time, and stopped frequently, including stops for a long breakfast and lunch.

Looking at Gustav's development, I am so glad we left.

Tomorrow we will probably drive up to Springfield, which is only another 3-4 hours from here. Then while we wait, we can further explore our likely ER location - - a pleasant place where we feel happy, secure, and safe.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 04:28 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Just reporting in...

We made it safely to Jonesboro, Arkansas. Traffic was very heavy with other evacuees but moved steadily along at 55-65 mph most of the way. Frank drove his Murano, and I followed in my Solara. We communicated by cell phone, took our time, and stopped frequently, including stops for a long breakfast and lunch.

Looking at Gustav's development, I am so glad we left.

Tomorrow we will probably drive up to Springfield, which is only another 3-4 hours from here. Then while we wait, we can explore our likely ER location - - a pleasant place where we feel happy, secure, and safe.
Cool. I'm hunkered down with a cold six pack watching football.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:32 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

good you left want2. just saw the news on tv. now predicted to hit as a cat 4. best wishes to all effected.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 04:35 PM   #65
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Cool. I'm hunkered down with a cold six pack watching football.
Enjoy it while you can! I remember the 1+ weeks of blackout you had after Katrina.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 08-30-2008, 04:38 PM   #66
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
good you left want2. just saw the news on tv. now predicted to hit as a cat 4. best wishes to all effected.
Thanks, Lazy. I am glad that I left, too. A cat 4 would not be good for New Orleans or the rest of south Louisiana. Besides, I don't want to wave to you all from footage on the evening news on Tuesday.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 08-30-2008, 04:45 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

FEMA chief says they expect it to turn into a category 5.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 04:45 PM   #68

ya, awful. i was here for andrew (cat 5), actually in lauderdale and it hit south miami. was in a condo with floor to ceiling glass that actually bent. i never saw glass bend before. i made a nice roast beef dinner for me and a friend. (was eating meat back then). roast beef became our hurricane joke for many years.

the next day or the day after that i was moving down to miami temporarily to report on the destruction. we had to stay there because you couldn't drive back and forth. after hours we helped our colleagues who lived in the strike zone. one house had nothing left but a few walls. so sad.

my first few hours touring the area literally made me sick to my stomach. i'd never seen destruction like that. add to the mix the army vehicles and all the diesel smell in the air. i think that must be as close as i've ever come to war-like destruction. hope to never see that again.

ps. the cat five is between cuba and the u.s. should (hopefully) weaken a bit before landfall.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
Old 08-30-2008, 04:49 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm - since the ole rolodex has at least a dozen folks on cell - the towers that went in Katrina wonder what's gonna happen come Gustav.

As I recall it seemed to take forever to regain communication last time.

heh heh heh -
Old 08-30-2008, 04:56 PM   #70

cable internet that might stay intact longer. when canes hit here we usually keep internet and even land line phones for a while, even when the area loses electric because the phone company has backup which lasts for a day or two.

but the electric was out for so long after wilma that i was only able to get word to my brother that i was leaving town. no other family knew. because i needed my gas to cross the state i couldn't even check up on my mom though my brother was just a short drive from her so i was ok with that (also she was in a facility with a huge industrial generator).

took about a week or two before i could contact everyone. and that was just a cat 1 (2 max) when it hit (it had been a cat 5--the strongest on record--when was in the gulf).

Old 08-30-2008, 05:03 PM   #71
Administrator

Wow, Lazy - - that must have been awful.

I really don't want to go through living in destruction again, with nobody but low flying helicopters around (thank goodness for the military!!) and such hardship. I am truly looking forward to our move north after I retire next year. I wanna be like UncleMick - - a transplant, who doesn't have to go through this. I think he was so smart to move.

UncleMick - - there was some phone communication within the New Orleans area, but there wasn't any into and out of there for nearly forever!! I tried and tried to call my supervisor in New Orleans by cell phone and landline, when I was evacuated to Alabama. When coming back on Sept 4th, we were driving through Bayou Manchac on 51 and it was really dark and spooky - - no moon, no other cars, and one of the scariest places I know of to begin with. Suddenly my cell phone beeped - - it was a voicemail from my supervisor, that she had left a couple of days before. I wasn't able to get it until I was almost back to New Orleans.

Lazy, cable internet was out here after Katrina, but Cox cable really worked hard and got it back on line (for me). Some other people didn't have it for months.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 08-30-2008, 05:14 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

It's great to hear from you! Looking at the evacuation videos on cable and current prediction this could be a Cat 5, I'd say you and Frank were very wise to leave when you did. Sounds like you will turn this into a good experience and explore your planned retirement location. All fingers and paws are crossed in my home hoping Gustav spares New Orleans. I've only been there once - a trip my DH and I took for our anniversary. We will never forget the great music, awesome food, and wonderful people. It is a special place and a unique city.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:40 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Tyler, TX to Pensacola, FL plus two on duty downtown. Reserve and one for a private security co. Plus more standing packed on go in Slidell, Bush, Baton Rouge, Covington and watching.

Even after three yrs - will be watching this one with so many friends still down there.

heh heh heh - interestingly in my day always went sort of straight north - not so much West or East.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:41 PM   #74
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
It's great to hear from you! Looking at the evacuation videos on cable and current prediction this could be a Cat 5, I'd say you and Frank were very wise to leave when you did. Sounds like you will turn this into a good experience and explore your planned retirement location. All fingers and paws are crossed in my home hoping Gustav spares New Orleans. I've only been there once - a trip my DH and I took for our anniversary. We will never forget the great music, awesome food, and wonderful people. It is a special place and a unique city.
Purron, thank you - - you really knew just the right things to say, to comfort me. I think it is a special place and a unique city, too, even though I have been planning and longing to leave for good ever since about October, 2005.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 08-30-2008, 05:54 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Purron, thank you - - you really knew just the right things to say, to comfort me. I think it is a special place and a unique city, too, even though I have been planning and longing to leave for good ever since about October, 2005.
Wellllll - counting Slidell and Covington - been back 9 times since 'technically leaving for good' Aug 2005.

I think you will find it's not that bad a drive from Springfield.

heh heh heh - there is leaving and then there is staying gone!
Old 08-30-2008, 06:19 PM   #76
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Wellllll - counting Slidell and Covington - been back 9 times since 'technically leaving for good' Aug 2005.

I think you will find it's not that bad a drive from Springfield.

heh heh heh - there is leaving and then there is staying gone!
True - - we have been to Springfield almost that many times since then, and we are both still working (yuck!). So maybe after ER we will visit New Orleans a lot, even though we are determined to move to Springfield and stay gone. If we visited New Orleans, we could stay at his family's camp down at Shell Beach which isn't used that much.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 08-30-2008, 06:32 PM   #77
Full time employment: Posting here.

The current computer models on weatherunderground.com are unanimous - landfall in Louisiana. However, if you extrapolate Gustav's current eye movement, landfall is in the western FL panhandle. So, all of the models are predicting a change of heading more to the northwest. One of the things I learned from Fay is that a slight change in heading can make a big difference: the Tampa Bay area was originally the bulls-eye, and then we were missed entirely.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:59 PM   #78

Glad to hear you have left town, Want2Retire! I hope that everyone else in Gustav's path gets out of the way too. Also, hope that the storm weakens a lot before it hits land. It must be really scary. But thank God people can evacucate on the buses with their pets this time! That makes a bad situation a little more tolerable.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:10 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by socca View Post
The current computer models on weatherunderground.com are unanimous - landfall in Louisiana. However, if you extrapolate Gustav's current eye movement, landfall is in the western FL panhandle. So, all of the models are predicting a change of heading more to the northwest. One of the things I learned from Fay is that a slight change in heading can make a big difference: the Tampa Bay area was originally the bulls-eye, and then we were missed entirely.
Charley did the same thing a few years back and hit Port Charlotte.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:21 PM   #80

Quote:
I tried and tried to call my supervisor in New Orleans by cell phone and landline, when I was evacuated to Alabama.
I got spotty cell service while I was there - by standing on the roof of a 5-story building. You could tell I was hitting some distant tower though, full of static and frequent drops. What did work more often in many places was SMS (text-messaging).

I hope this one gives us all a big pass. One of the weirdest moments of my life was seeing the electronic sign board on the freeway as we were driving in: "New Orleans Closed".