Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-31-2008, 11:17 AM   #101
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Hmmmm. I haven't seen that, but I did see an interview with an Amtrak official yesterday who said they had run two special trains so far and would try to do a third if the storm's progress permitted it. And I have seen people boarding buses in NOLA for a couple of days.
Are you there?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2008, 11:21 AM   #102
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Yeah, those people are poor and evacuating would cost them financially, but I'm having a hard time understanding their decisions.

First, they can evacuate for free and be taken to a shelter far out of the path of the storm.
Quote:
In downtown New Orleans, thousands of residents lined up in the morning heat, toting backpacks and plastic bags of food as they waited to board buses and trains to shelters in northern Louisiana and neighboring states.

These were some of the city's most vulnerable citizens: the elderly, the impoverished, the sick. Three years ago, many of them rode out Hurricane Katrina at home, and ended up trapped in flooded homes or in the squalor of the Louisiana Superdome and the nearby convention center.
Second, the lady with her two dogs will find that the evacuation centers are equipped with pet carriers so she can get on the train or the bus and take her dogs with her. Animal shelters as far away as Atlanta are willing to house and care for evacuated pets.

Money is tight for these folks, I understand that. But they are making a choice here and I think the message sent by the city and state has been pretty darn clear. It would be one thing if people like this were unaware of the evacuation assistance offered them, but I've seen the pictures of the billboards that have been up all over the city.

Even that idiot Nagin is sending a clear message
Quote:
"You need to be getting your butts moving out of New Orleans now," Nagin said of Hurricane Gustav, a storm the National Hurricane Center said could be a Category 5 -- the top intensity -- when it enters the Gulf of Mexico today.
On Saturday the police went through the city, especially the poor neighborhoods, announcing over bullhorns and loudspeaker the need to evacuate and directing people to where they could get assistance to do that.

And the means are there...
Quote:
This time, the city has taken steps to ensure no one has an excuse not to leave. The state has a $7 million contract to provide 700 buses to evacuate the elderly, the sick and anyone around the region without transportation.
And I bet that the guy who is worried about losing his dishwasher job at the clam bar can find an equally great job without much difficulty. It's hard to find a job if you're a corpse floating on top the water as the sun slowly heats you up to popping pressure.

Edit to respond to Martha: No, I wouldn't throw myself into the path of that, besides they're trying to get everyone out of there. I haven't thought about going after, but I'm sure there will be opportunities galore. I got calls for weeks after I came back last time. The scenes I described were from CNN/TWC and numerous other sources. Plus, several hundred buses staged here overnight several days ago before going on to the East.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:40 PM   #103

Quote:
Hmm, okay so theres less dumbness than I thought. I just read an article chock full of people being interviewed who said they'd like to leave but dont have any way of doing so.
It's not all peaches and cream. Rather than take the people to say Jackson, MS or someplace out of the way but close they are being evacuated all the way to TN on the same train. If the trains took the evacuees someplace safer like Jackson, or Shreveport and drop them off for another train to take them to TN, they would be able to return to New Orleans and evacuate more people quicker.

As far as the people camping in the rest area inside Mississippi, apparently they didn't learn a darned thing from Katrina. They are still sitting outside with a thin piece of canvas or nylon for protection and are going to whine that they didn't know any better. That defies common sense.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:30 PM   #104
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Great name to contact.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:47 PM   #105
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Hey, arent all those katrina trailers still sitting around somewhere? :
Yes - the mayor said they could become "projectiles flying around the city" in his news conference this morning
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 05:11 PM   #106
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I made the mistake of getting on I-20 this morning. Going to the hiking trail and lake where I take my mutt. Anyway, traffic moving through Meridian fairly well but cars as far as the eyes can see. No rooms available here. Might be some in Birmingham. I imagine that is where lots are headed.

All the fast food joints covered up big time. The weather is nice here, but looks like a good day to stay put.
Frank's family was able to reserve four rooms in Birmingham last week, thank goodness. They were on their way this morning. This is a family of long time New Orleanians (6 generations), none of whom had ever evacuated before Katrina.

Springfield is far enough north that we didn't have to make reservations. Our usual motel is around $85-$90 per night, but they gave us rooms at $55 because we are Gustav evacuees. That was so nice of them!! I was wondering how we would ever afford an unexpected "vacation" like this.

We spent the afternoon away from television. Too much CNN can be hard to take at times like this, and tomorrow we will need to watch.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 06:17 PM   #107
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
We spent the afternoon away from television. Too much CNN can be hard to take at times like this, and tomorrow we will need to watch.
DH and I tackled a painting project today and had CNN on all day. We have followed the news during our breaks and meals. This seems so different than Kartrina. First of all, the storm has weakened, thank goodness. Also, the preparations seem much better organized.

My main concern, like most folks, is the levees. I heard the governor say they should hold if the storm keeps its current tract and doesn't vere to the east.

Let's all hope tomorrow brings good news. I'm sure you are anxious to get back home like so many others.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:06 PM   #108
Moderator Emeritus

I remember three years ago when someone here posted, "Run UncleMick!" when Katrina was bearing down. I really hope it's different this time.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 09:08 PM   #109
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurencewill View Post
I remember three years ago when someone here posted, "Run UncleMick!" when Katrina was bearing down. I really hope it's different this time.
Here's that thread: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...8-a-17787.html
Old 08-31-2008, 09:22 PM   #110
Confused about dryer sheets

Send a message via Yahoo to moneytutor
Gustav has just grown to a 4. It doesn't look good.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:20 PM   #111

This reminds me to remove NO as a retirement place.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 10:29 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneytutor View Post
Gustav has just grown to a 4. It doesn't look good.
Where did you see that? 2200 CDT report from the NHC shows him to still be a 3. It sped up through the Loop Current, sucked in some dry air, which all helped keep him from being as big and mean as he wanted to be. But the little bit of wind shear present is slacking off, and Gustav is rebuilding his eye and getting a little meaner. Still, I'm not seeing anybody saying that it will come onshore as anything other than a 3. Pretty much your average major hurricane. An amazing destructive force, but it's not the "mother of all storms" or whatever Nagin called it.

It's the placement that sucks on this one - still close enough to NOLA that the tidal surge on the east side up through Lake Bourgne and into Pontchatrain mean that the repaired levees will be tested. That and the the fact that Gustav will be driving right up through a lot of refineries and other oil related facilities. Looks like he will come ashore around Fourchon early in the AM.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:43 PM   #113
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Where did you see that?
CNN is reporting class 4 winds and surge. Of course, its just CNN... so 2 steps over the national enquirer. Did all y'all see what Demi Moore is doing?

God bless our friends in the southeast. I hope you're all high and dry and in ample supplies of alcoholic beverages.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 11:17 PM   #114

Quote:
CNN is reporting class 4 winds and surge. Of course, its just CNN... so 2 steps over the national enquirer. Did all y'all see what Demi Moore is doing?

God bless our friends in the southeast. I hope you're all high and dry and in ample supplies of alcoholic beverages.
No what Is Demi doing? Ya good luck to those in that area.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:05 AM   #115
Give me a forum ...

IMing my friend in Kingston Jamaica right now. The storm passed over on Thursday, washing out bridges, roads and causing mudslides. About 70 families in Portland (on the eastern coast of Jamaica) are homeless. For a Cat One, it was actually a much worse storm than they expected--mostly due to the rain and the fact it took 2 days to cross.

His parents live in the Blue Mountains above Kingston, and they are cut off from any roads into the city. No power or phones either, at his apartment in Kingston. Amazing he was able to go to a friend's house with internet. The city is very low lying so flooding is always a problem.

And hey, we've now got Hanna heading our way.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:06 AM   #116
Give me a forum ...

So far so good. Watching the Weather Channel and looks like N.O. doing well and levees holding up. Still a long way to go. I remember the same thing was said during Katrina but the levees broke late in the game.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:47 AM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
No what Is Demi doing?
Very pleased to have avoided marrying anyone named 'Glace'.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:22 AM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Uh oh, a barge is loose in the industrial canal that could pierce a levee. That's what happened during Katrina. The Coast Guard is suppose to be trying to secure it. How would you like to be a member of the CG right now?

I bet the news channels are getting a higher viewing rating today than they would have had at the RNC.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:05 AM   #119

Well, Gustav weakened right there as he hit the coast, and he went a little further west than predicted. But he still managed to shove 9' of water (as per CNN, NOAA said 7' as of 8 AM before the site stopped working) up into Lake Borgne. Water is slopping over the top of the Industrial Canal. The levees might hold, and that is a good thing, but I think that landfall just a little closer to the city and that would not have been the case.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:14 AM   #120
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I reread the thread. I have to say the best post was yours, #75.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote